View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 A pod being turned into a regular ship 
Commander

Unread post A pod being turned into a regular ship
I went over to RP's server to check out the new version of twgs. I had just started into the subzero game. Black Bolt was in a escape pod. After I made my character look at what happened.. No one was on the server or in the game at the time of this happening.

Attachments:
glitch 3.png
glitch 3.png [ 78.16 KiB | Viewed 5617 times ]
glitch 1.png
glitch 1.png [ 68.04 KiB | Viewed 5617 times ]
Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:19 am
Site Admin

Unread post Re: A pod being turned into a regular ship
Ok, there's definitely something odd going on there. It looks like Comet's ship is the same as black bolt's, like they're both pointing to the same ship record.

RP, I know you just sent me some data, but could you send another set with this game's latest data so I can look at this myself?

Thanks!

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:44 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Something else that's strange about this... Comet doesn't show up in the high scores list, but the ship, Hache!, is black bolt's ship name. So that means when Comet started the game, unless he gave his ship the same name, he had a different ship record, but by the time he displayed this record (not having moved anywhere, since the adjacent sectors have not been explored), his ship record was pointing to another ship. But it appears that black bolt's ship was overwritten by Comet's, or else it would still be a pod. But then why wouldn't the name have changed to that of Comet's new ship? Very strange...

I'll look at the code and see how this kind of situation might occur. It almost seems like the information being displayed about the ships is coming from two different sources. It's definitely not easily explained by a ship record cross-over.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:53 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Ok, I have another clue about this. There was a bug reported earlier about black bolt's ship, and I have the TWA for that, and it's clear that his user record points to the ship, but the ship is disabled. That should never happen, so that's the smoking gun. The bug is whatever created this situation. Anything that happened after, what we're seeing here, is a side-effect. So I'll focus on fixing the first bug.

Thanks for the report!

Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:45 am
Profile WWW
Commander

Unread post 
anytime!!!

Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]