View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Alien Planets 
Veteran Op

Unread post Alien Planets
When you bang a game that has gold aliens with planets their planets are not active in the game until the first account logs in. Was this by design? I know it has been like this for years but was it just something that was over looked? I just ask since I know for years I have been modifying the alien planets to have a L6 with some other tweaks, and you always have to create the Observer account prior to making changes.
I never put much thought into it until another Sysop mentioned the same thing.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:50 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Ambassador

Unread post Re: Alien Planets
Mine wouldn't create the planet even after I logged in as a player.

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:10 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Veteran Op

Ok I just tested and when I first logged in the game, no aliens were moving... and no planet yet..... Once I got the message about the aliens moving, it took almost 1 minute and then the planet #3 showed up. Something it causing a delay, probably still need JP to look into it.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:36 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Site Admin

There has to be more to creating this situation, because if I bang a default game with Gold aliens, enable both Alien Traders and Ferrengi, create a new race based on the Ferrengi without changing settings related to planet creation, then activate the game, after a few seconds the alien manager will reload the aliens for all games, loading the alien servers for the new game. If I go into the alien manager and look at that game, under the tabs for Ferrengi and the new alien race, I see that the first thing that happens is their homeworld and homespace is built. If I go into TEDIT, I can verify that the planets do in fact exist. I do this all the time while testing. Something is different in your case that is resulting in the planet not being created. Send me a TWA for a game where you see this and I'll see if I can figure out what that is.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:31 am
Profile WWW
Ambassador

I can't reproduce it now, but the race was based on the Ferrengi. The aliens were activly moving in the alien manager. The Ferrengi created a home planet, but the new race didn't. I think it's a random glitch.

if(Rnd(100) < 95)CreatePlanet();

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:11 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Veteran Op

OK I retested it this morning, I banged a game and checked no planet #3. Activated the game and waited...... about 1 minute later the planet showed. So I guess that means you have to Activate before setting up the alien planets? I rebanged same game, let sit 5 minutes no planet #3. Activated game and again within 1 minute planet showed up.

Activation is the only way to get the other gold planets to show. Alien Trader / Ferrengi work during Big Bang, the others do not.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:46 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Gameop

I also noticed during alien development that I had to activate the game to get it to work.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:10 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Admin

That's correct. There are no active aliens for inactive games. There currently is no way to bring an alien server online (which is what manages alien activity) without activating the game.

There may need to be a distinction between an inactive game and a hidden game. An inactive game isn't meant to be "live". Extern won't run on it either. Once it's active, it shows up on the menu. You can put a password on it, but it would probably be nice to be able to have hidden games for testing edits, since keeping it inactive doesn't really provide a good "real world" test.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:00 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

OK John, thanks for checking to verify it was by design. This information will help newer sysop's so they are aware of the way to make and activate planets for games where you want to increase the strength of alien planets.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:40 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Site Admin

I guess maybe people aren't using the alien manager much. It should be obvious if you go there. It'll tell you that the aliens aren't loaded and why. I'm planning to increase the information available there, so maybe gameops will start using that more in the future.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:19 pm
Profile WWW
Commander

John Pritchett wrote:
There may need to be a distinction between an inactive game and a hidden game. An inactive game isn't meant to be "live". Extern won't run on it either. Once it's active, it shows up on the menu. You can put a password on it, but it would probably be nice to be able to have hidden games for testing edits, since keeping it inactive doesn't really provide a good "real world" test.

This is a good idea.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:22 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]