View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Retreat BUG 
Veteran Op

Unread post Retreat BUG
This morning I was messing around in a game and I ended up in a sector over someones planet. I used all my figs except 1, and they replaced my sector fig with theirs.... oh and I had 0 turns. I lifted from the planet and did an exit from the game and reentered and I was prompted to attack / retreat ... I hit retreat and it tossed me to the adjacent sector. It should have told me 0 turns and my only option should have been surrender.

Way to exploit the bug would be if you got caught in a planet and they deployed figs while setting up you could exit/enter, hit retreat and off you go to reload and continue.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:54 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Site Admin

Unread post Re: Retreat BUG
I'll see if I can repro that. Thanks!

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:23 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Ok, I had a look at this. Retreat doesn't seem to take into account turns left. So with zero turns, you should be able to retreat. If you have turns, it will take one, but if you have none, you'll still be able to retreat. This is by design.

Is there more to the bug than this?

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:53 am
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

Nope if you say by design I can live with it.

But if I enter the game with 0 turns, on top of somebodies fig and I have 0 figs..... how in the world should I be able to retreat to a sector I did not just come from? Surrender I could agree with. I won't argue it but I just don't see this as correct behavior. :shock:

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:46 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Site Admin

"Last sector" is something you retain even if you log off and back on. So in this case, you still had a "last sector" to retreat to. It may seem odd, but it's been this way forever. I don't think there's justification to change it.

Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:39 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

It has been like that as long as I can remember, TWGS, HVS and before.

I remember it very well, for the very good reason that it ***ed me off more than once.

Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:47 pm
Chief Warrant Officer

John Pritchett wrote:
"Last sector" is something you retain even if you log off and back on. So in this case, you still had a "last sector" to retreat to. It may seem odd, but it's been this way forever. I don't think there's justification to change it.

There are a couple ways that this feature can be used to achieve results that may not be as designed.

1) If someone photons you then warps in a drops a fig. You can exit/enter the game then retreat off of the fig.

2) If someone has you trapped in a ship interdictor and deploys a sector fig. If you attempt to move you will end up at the fig prompt and can escape the interdictor by retreating.

Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]