View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Number of planets and citadels 
Commander

Unread post Number of planets and citadels
This is another bug from Cruncher's game B. I'm not sure what version she's running.

Since nearly the beginning of the game, the "V" screen has indicated two planets with citadels. I forget the exact numbers, but the number of planets times the percent with cits worked out to 1.98 or something like that.

Well, lately the math indicates 3 citadels. But (at the risk of giving away strategic information) I have more citadels than that just by myself. At level 1+, not just under construction. Plus Ferrengal is still out there.

Do citadels not count before they reach a certain level? Or is something weird going on?

Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:32 pm
Profile WWW
Commander

Unread post Re: Number of planets and citadels
When I logged in this morning, it showed 30 planets and 7 citadels, which still doesn't make sense.

I created a few planets during my session. At the end, it showed 33 planets and 9 citadels! I was not on during extern.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:42 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

One thing that might be a factor here is that this information is not updated everytime you press V. I don't recall the update frequency off the top of my head, or if it's configurable, but you definitely can get info that's out of date.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:15 am
Profile WWW
Commander

It's often very out of date. It doesn't even update at extern.

Here's a screenshot from 2.20b. This is not a game where citadels are instant. I have more citadels myself than it says exist in the whole universe.

This is a major bug, IMO. Knowing how many citadels exist is crucial to planning your strategy.

Attachments:
vscreen-wrong.png
vscreen-wrong.png [ 24.75 KiB | Viewed 10377 times ]

Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:36 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

This can only be caused by the V screen data being outdated. The data in the V screen uses exactly the same test to determine if a planet has a Citadel as the Corporate Planet Display. The only difference is, the V screen data is saved to disk and reused rather than being tallied everytime the V screen is loaded. So if there's a bug here, it could be that the V screen data file, TWSTATS.DAT, is not getting updated as often as it should (at least once per hour).

If you have game data for a game where you can see that the Citadel count is inconsistent, send it to me so I can test it.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:39 pm
Profile WWW
Commander

I've never had any luck reproducing this locally. Next time I see it in a live game, I'll alert the sysop.

It may or may not be relevant that I keep noticing this on Cruncher's server. I rarely play anywhere else.

Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:19 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]