View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Stopping the TWGS Service 
Gameop

Unread post Stopping the TWGS Service
Ok, had a bit of trouble today. Wanted to gain access to the config screens so I decided to stop the service and uninstall it where I could gain access locally. I could get it to stop but the service failed every time I tried to uninstall it.

I checked permissions, paths, etc but to no avail. I could stop it and start it, no problem but when I tried to execute 'twgsserv uninstall' I could see the error "Service could not be uninstalled" pop up just before the dos command window closed on my 2003 machine.

I even tried rebooting the machine, all to no avail. For the life of me, I can't uninstall this service!

Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:58 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Gameop

Unread post Re: Stopping the TWGS Service
Never mind. I found the culprit.

I'm a big fan of an application called MalwareBytes. I had it running on my server. It was blocking the uninstall process. It might also be responsible for some of the other trouble I was having, some users reporting problems exiting from the game, etc.

If your IP is listed as spam somewhere, my system would lock you out. You wouldn't even be able to visit one of my web pages,

I just had things cranked down a little too tight....

Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:32 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Gameop

Ok, I don't know whats up. I thought I had it figured out. Windows 2003 server with all the latest updates. It seems if any real time passes, you can't uninstall. If i reboot the server I can get it to work but do it a couople times and the whole thing gets caddywhomped....

Here's the error from the event viewer:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( TWGS ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: TWGS error: 0, SetServiceStatus.

Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:00 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Gameop

I've had the same error 14 times since i installed TWGS on 7/20/2011

Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:05 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Admin

Can we all thank Microsoft for their continued efforts to make your machine safe from TWGS?

Basically, the problem is that what was once acceptable for service applications is now considered a security risk. I will have Windows 7 available for testing soon and I will see if I can replace my old service code with something that's certified to work with the latest windows security protocols.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:37 am
Profile WWW
Ambassador

Server 2003, is the same code base as Windows XP. Unless this is R2, it shouldn't have the new restrictions. Unless they added it in SP2.

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:37 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Site Admin

Oh, I misread that. Thought it was Windows 7. I'm running Server 2003 on the beta site. I did update the service code somewhat to get it to play nice with Server 2003, but I'm not experiencing the kind of issue you're describing.

Running Windows Server 2003 sp 2.

I'll check my event logs to see if I'm seeing the entries you're seeing.

EDIT: Yes, I have two such events. I haven't been running as a service on the beta site for awhile, so I'll see if I can get it to break like yours if I start running it as a service again.

TWGS is running as a service on the beta now, so I'll check it after a few days and see how it's working.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:59 am
Profile WWW
Gameop

Ok. The only way I have found to solve the issue is to reboot the machine. An extreme event for any server. It kinda sucks. Of course, if you get all the management options where we can edit them from the remote login, we wouldn't need to stop the service to gain access to the configuration menu.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:58 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Ambassador

I found that removing the service, rebooting, then installing the service fixed the service issue that comes up when installing twgs over an existing installation on XP.

H

I had to ask myself WWSGD?

Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:09 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Is it possible that this comes from installing over a service when it's still running? Is the service still installed even if the service isn't actually running? Maybe that's something I could reproduce and fix.

In general, I want the game to be fully configurable remotely, but that's a big task. Tell me what functionality you most need and I'll see about getting that in. But it still shouldn't be necessary to restart the machine to stop the service. That needs to be fixed.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:14 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

In my experience, the service from a previous install was stopped but still there.

H

I had to ask myself WWSGD?

Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:24 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Ok, let me test that. I think I've always had it uninstalled as a service before installing a new version.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:30 pm
Profile WWW
Gameop

I agree. Making all items accessible remotely might be a big task.

I have a quick question. If you do not have the game installed as a service, will it block anyone trying to login as an admin remotely?

The reason I am asking is I just changed the player port to 23 and now i can't seem to get logged in as an admin on port 2003. I do not have it running as a service at the moment.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:46 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Admin

I addressed that question on that thread. Let's follow up on it there.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:27 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]