View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 2.08 Server Config Menu 
Gameop

Unread post 2.08 Server Config Menu
Having a problem setting up ports. The selection for telnet, rlogin or none becomes greyed out when you change the port number for admin. If you click on the 'Game Port' line above, the drop down menu becomes available again for the 'Administration Port' and you can make the change you need.

Also, I reset my 'Game Port' from 2002 to 23 and now I cannot access my admin port (2003). My tests show the port is open all the way to the application but I just get a 'Couldn't connect to host' warning from my Swath. If I change the login to rlogin, I get a success message but then it fails because it's expecting an rlogin setup. I am sure TWGS is blocking my admin access.

Most annoying.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:51 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Gameop

Unread post Re: 2.08 Server Config Menu
Here's what I get:

Authentication (Primary server)... OK

Connect to twgs.twarbase.com on port 2003... Failed!

<<< Connection closed >>>

Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:38 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Admin

If you set the connection port to 2002 or 2003, you can use either Telnet or RLogin, and you can choose which. But if you use port 23, you can only use Telnet, and 513, only RLogin, since those are the standard ports. That's why it's grayed out.

The state of the drop-down meny only changes when you leave the port dropdown. I'll make a note to change when the drop-down is selected so it's less confusing.

Admin should be set to 2003 and Telnet. That's default and probably what you were using before. If it's still not working, can you show a screenshot of the Config Server tab, and also the Stats screen from the main console while the server is online? That shows the IP and port TWGS is bound to.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:26 pm
Profile WWW
Gameop

TWGS v2.08 Stats

Ports : Player = 23 Admin = 2003
Addresses : 192.168.0.2

Server priority : High
Connection Protocols : Player = Telnet Admin = Telnet
Active games : 5
Player sessions : Active = 0 Total = 0
Administrative sessions : Active = 0 Total = 0

Total Server Connections : 3,356 since 01/27/2008

Total Terminated Games : 0

Server has run for 2 Minutes

Attachments:
configservertab.jpg
configservertab.jpg [ 69.3 KiB | Viewed 11410 times ]

Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:39 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Gameop

BTW, my server only has 1 CPU. Don't know why TWGS is detecting 2.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:44 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Gameop

Just so you know. This problem started before I installed 2.08.

Everything was working fine until I decided to change my game port from 2002 to 23. I changed it in the server settings, then I disabled port 2002 and made sure my telnet port (23) was enabled.

You can enter the game as a player on 23 just fine but you cannot access the admin side anymore. I've even tried setting the game port back to 2002, nothing works.

Yes, I have checked my router and the port settings in my server. In fact, I have gone so far as to reboot both....

Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:57 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Admin

TWGS never declines a connection without a message saying why. So if it's the wrong protocol, it would say that.

I know this is nothing new to you, but I really would have to wonder if somehow the port blocking got changed.

FYI, you're not limited to just those ports. You can type in any port if you want to try something other than the one's you've been using. Maybe that would help you connect again, by getting away from port 2003.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:03 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

I figured out what my problem was. Putty was configured for rlogin, and TWGS was configured for telnet.

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:10 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Gameop

Ok, just switched admin to port 2002, still locking me out.

I can login just fine as a player but I am sure as the day is sunshiny that TWGS is not allowing an admin to login.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:17 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Admin

Try a nonstandard port, like port 20002, and open it on your router. Maybe trying a different port will break us out of whatever is blocking this.

What you're saying may be true, but it's never happened before to my knowledge. If TWGS was unable to bind to the port, or failed for any reason, it would report that in the log screen of the main console. If it succeeded in binding, you should see these three lines:

Creating administrative listener...
Binding administrative listener...
Listening for administrative connections...

Do you see those? If there's an error, it would show up here as well.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:23 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

BTW, on the other issue, do you have a dual core CPU? If you open the task manager to see CPU usage and you see two displays for CPU %, then you have dual core. Doesn't need to be two physical CPUs. I may need to make that more clear.

But there's also a bug in the text that says "2 CPUs detected". I never wired that up to change to the number actually detected. I'll fix that next update.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:28 pm
Profile WWW
Gameop

Ok, It's beyond me.

I did a search and picked a port that's unassigned to any other service. I chose port 28 for admin. Added it to the router and voila, we're in. I do not understand why 2002 or 2003 won't work now. I made no significant changes when I changed to 23.

Everything I am looking at is telling me that the command is getting to TWGS (all ports open and functioning) but for some reason TWGS is blocking them in an admin capacity.

We're up and running now. I will run it like this for a while, then revisit this post if i can get a better handle on what's happening. Thanks for your help.

BTW, 2002 and 2003 are listed as belonging to a service named 'globe'. have no idea what that means. 28 is an unassigned number, that's why I chose it.

Last edited by Master Blaster on Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:30 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Gameop

John Pritchett wrote:
BTW, on the other issue, do you have a dual core CPU? If you open the task manager to see CPU usage and you see two displays for CPU %, then you have dual core. Doesn't need to be two physical CPUs. I may need to make that more clear.

But there's also a bug in the text that says "2 CPUs detected". I never wired that up to change to the number actually detected. I'll fix that next update.

My machine is 2 CPU capable, just didn't want to purchase the licensing for the second one so I went with 1.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:31 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Ambassador

Master Blaster wrote:
We're up and running now. I will run it like this for a while, then revisit this post if i can get a better handle on what's happening. Thanks for your help.

Only ports 1 - 1024 are "Reserved" for specific protocals. Everything else is up for grabs.

When on port 2003, if there is a binding error, it should show up on log screen:

Creating player listener...
Querying server IP addresses...
Autodetecting server IP address...
Bound player listener...
Listening for player connections...
Creating administrative listener...
Binding administrative listener...

Error binding administrative listener (0)...
Server will not accept administration connections...

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Last edited by Micro on Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:40 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Site Admin

Ok, well, glad we found a workaround. Very strange. My only thought is that if this is Vista or especially Windows 7, MS is bent on protecting us from every possible threat, and maybe your tinkering caused the OS to block something. I swear, it seems like MS doesn't want you to run anything that isn't put out by their teams. I couldn't believe how hard a time I had just downloading and installing in Windows 7. Every other action was a warning like I was unleashing thermonuclear war if I proceeded.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:45 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next