View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Stuck in editor 
Gameop

Unread post Stuck in editor
Ok, here's a new one. I am setting up one of my games. Trying to change the bubble size. It gicves me parameters of min to max of (100 - 100). Won't let me set any other size. 500 sector game.

So I enable the Ferrengi, then try to change that bubble. Even though it says (100 - 100), I try 25 and it allows me to make the change.

So I go back and try to change the bubble size again, this time it allows the change but immediately locks up. I cannot get out of the screen. I try several different things, nothing works. I'm locked in. Here's the cap.

Attachment:
stuckineditor.png
stuckineditor.png [ 15.18 KiB | Viewed 8124 times ]

Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:23 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Gameop

Unread post Re: Stuck in editor
I had no choice, I had to hard stop the window. Now, I cannot get into any of the games. Seems to be trying to run a process in the background. I can see it in my mouse pointer.

Something has failed very badly here. Restarting the ap didn't fix it.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:29 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Gameop

WOWSER!

Leave it to me to find a way to make it explode! LOL.

I tried stopping the service, I tried stopping the app, I even tried rebooting the machine. Nothing worked. As soon as I opened the command center, it all went south. Game E was in some sort of weird loop. I could not access any of my other games, it's like it kept cycling like it was trying to complete some task.

After trying everything else, my only option was to delete game E entirely. It allowed the deletion and once the game was removed, everything went back to normal.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:36 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Admin

Could you tell in the task manager if Bigbang was actually running after you attempted to shut it down?

Hopefully I'll be able to reproduce your steps here and see what happened. A crash in Bigbang on one game should never effect any of your other games. I'll fix the range bug, but the bigger issue is what happens if Bigbang is shut down like that. I'll report when I know any more.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:47 pm
Profile WWW
Gameop

I was in the big bang screen but got locked before I was able to run it. You can see the keys I tried when i was trying to get out...

PS, the other game continued to run ok, I just couldn't get into any of their editors. The problem was manifesting itself in the command shell screen.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:09 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Admin

Ok, but you said you had to force the window closed. I was just wondering if bigbang closed like it should have, or it was still running and maybe taking up CPU. That's one way one game session can effect others, and everything on your machine.

Well, I just need to try to repro this. I'll give it a shot tonight.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:11 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I had no problems reproducing this bug, so I'll get it fixed right away.

The bug doesn't have anything to do with the Bubble sector ranges, though that's a bug itself. But any time you close Bigbang without properly shutting it down, TWGS gets flaky. If you run Bigbang again and exit by way of "Q", it cleans it up.

I'll clean both bugs up, but I don't have enough major bugs yet to warrant another release. I'd like to work through a few more bugs on my list before putting out a new update.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:12 pm
Profile WWW
Gameop

Okee dokee. I understand. Just doin my part....

Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:20 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Admin

I appreciate it. I'm glad you caught this one.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:30 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]