View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Moving on to bug tests 
Site Admin

Unread post Moving on to bug tests
Ok, hopefully it's just slow because it's a holiday weekend, but I've only had a few people in the game for testing. If I can't get more testers than that, I'm going to have to go back to releasing the update in order to get it tested. I don't mind doing that, but it can be disruptive of active games.

Even with only a few testers, I feel confident moving to the next step. Nothing unusual has come up. I went ahead and uploaded the first set of bug fixes and changes. The main thing to test here is the mail system. Anything that generates mail messages, I need tested. I enabled Gold aliens, and I know they generally spam the heck out of the mail system, so interacting with them will help. There is strong evidence that the mail bomb bug is caused by Gold alien-generated mail, so that's an important thing to test.

Once I'm confident that these fixes are working, I'll start tackling the bugs and suggestions listed here so far. Some good stuff.

Thrawn, I'd like to send you the beta as well so you can test the new TWGS admin features and give me feedback on that. I'll post you a message with details.

Thanks!

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Sun May 30, 2010 11:29 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

Unread post Re: Moving on to bug tests
Actually probably has more to do with the game settings. Not conducive to blues or reds and since you already have one player with a negative 1M+ align, going red really isn't much of an option. Minimal startup resources, 100% steal, and a 5% production rate aren't that good. A Sub-Zero type edit banged would put a better test of real world settings. Set the aliens explore higher and and up the number of them and you will get the fig hits. I don't know what the aliens are set to in the game.

"A man who has no skills can be taught, a man who has no honor has nothing."

Mon May 31, 2010 12:02 am
Profile ICQ
Commander

John Pritchett wrote:
Ok, hopefully it's just slow because it's a holiday weekend, but I've only had a few people in the game for testing. If I can't get more testers than that, I'm going to have to go back to releasing the update in order to get it tested. I don't mind doing that, but it can be disruptive of active games.

Even with only a few testers, I feel confident moving to the next step. Nothing unusual has come up. I went ahead and uploaded the first set of bug fixes and changes. The main thing to test here is the mail system. Anything that generates mail messages, I need tested. I enabled Gold aliens, and I know they generally spam the heck out of the mail system, so interacting with them will help. There is strong evidence that the mail bomb bug is caused by Gold alien-generated mail, so that's an important thing to test.

Once I'm confident that these fixes are working, I'll start tackling the bugs and suggestions listed here so far. Some good stuff.

Thrawn, I'd like to send you the beta as well so you can test the new TWGS admin features and give me feedback on that. I'll post you a message with details.

Thanks!

Got your message. Daala and I will be on it first thing in the morning after our breakfast and morning coffee.

We'll also test it with one of our edits that has 14 Alien Races to give it and the mail a good run-through.

But risk has always been an inescapable part of warfare.

--

Knight to Queen's Bishop 3

Mon May 31, 2010 12:23 am
Ambassador

Not sure what happened. Warped in to kill a fighter and I didn't even get an attack prompt...

Warping to Sector 2349

Sector : 2349 in uncharted space.
Ports : Locke Major, Class 3 (SBB)
Fighters: 1 (belong to Corp#1, test) [Defensive]
Warps to Sector(s) : 2736 - (18185)

TradeWars Game Server v1.04.09 Copyright (C) EIS
www.eisonline.com

Server registered to EIS BETA

<A> Scripting <B> Non-scripting

<#> Players Online
<!> View game descriptions
<Q> Quit

Selection (? for menu):

----- Logging back in on a fig, and dropped to the menu ----

Ambassador John

The Alien Traders are on the move!
The Ferrengi are on the move!

[Pause]

You have been on today.
Searching for messages received since your last time on:
No messages received.
[Pause]

<Scanning for Hazardous Sectors you have marked to Avoid>

No Sectors are currently being avoided.

Sector : 2349 in uncharted space.
Ports : Locke Major, Class 3 (SBB)
Fighters: 1 (belong to Corp#1, test) [Defensive]
Warps to Sector(s) : 2736 - (18185)

Mon May 31, 2010 1:05 am
Profile ICQ
Ambassador

Come to think of it, it reminds me of what happens during grid wars sometimes where two people get bounced from the game.

Mon May 31, 2010 1:18 am
Profile ICQ
Site Admin

Promethius, I was watching some problems with the Gold aliens when you started crashing, so I grabbed the archive and I'm going to look it over here. Server is down until I figure that out.

Yeah, it would be good to grab an edit like that. Is there a place I can grab one?

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Mon May 31, 2010 1:29 am
Profile WWW
Ambassador

John Pritchett wrote:
Promethius, I was watching some problems with the Gold aliens when you started crashing, so I grabbed the archive and I'm going to look it over here. Server is down until I figure that out.

Yeah, it would be good to grab an edit like that. Is there a place I can grab one?

Helix had most of the TWAs in his database project, but I can't connect to it, and my version has been modified. I know some of the sysOps have a copy of it.

Mon May 31, 2010 1:44 am
Profile ICQ
Site Admin

Ok, fixed the bug. The latest is online now.

Well, if anyone has a good, popular edit I can use for testing, I'll run it. And of course Space Ghost is taking over as admin in a few days. He's out of town. He definitely knows his way around the server, so that'll help.

Mon May 31, 2010 2:33 am
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

Here is the unedited version I had in archive.

Need any others let me know or I am sure Thrawn has a good collection as well.

Attachments:
SubZero.zip [745.53 KiB]
Downloaded 474 times

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.
Mon May 31, 2010 7:47 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Ambassador

k, I have gone deep blue so someone can come in and go red in game A to steal and generate fig hit message. In game B, Sub Zero, I have not gone red, just running a world trade script. I don't plan on attacking anyone in either game since that isn't the main purpose.

I forgot the stock version of SZ is 45k turn and not an unlim.

Mon May 31, 2010 1:32 pm
Profile ICQ
Commander

Promethius wrote:
k, I have gone deep blue so someone can come in and go red in game A to steal and generate fig hit message.

On the way :)

--

Mon May 31, 2010 1:58 pm
Veteran Op

I am just running world trade without dropping figs for a while that should generate some mail for a few people. If you need me to hit anything else let me know. Oh and nice pings ;)

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Mon May 31, 2010 2:28 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Commander

T0yman wrote:
I am just running world trade without dropping figs for a while that should generate some mail for a few people. If you need me to hit anything else let me know. Oh and nice pings ;)

I've waved a couple of times as you passed by me :)

--

Mon May 31, 2010 4:18 pm
Site Admin

Sweet, now we're getting some activity. I feel pretty good about stability. Not seeing anything in the logs. The mail files are growing pretty good. Farley's is up to a meg. It'll be interesting to see how big these grow.

Is there any need for a limit on mail file size? Also, if these files tend to be too big, they're basically text so I could easily add compression. It's a very straightforward system, so adding compression wouldn't increase the complexity at all. TWGS already uses compression elsewhere. It would slow mail access a bit, though, so I won't do it unless the size of these files is a problem.

Mon May 31, 2010 4:38 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

Yea poor farley is gonna have some reading to do... I started doing a mXXXX^Mr macro a few hundred at a time.

Mon May 31, 2010 4:52 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next