View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 New pricing 
Immortal Op

Unread post Re: New pricing
John Pritchett wrote:
Well, I really want to take a crack at a special game mode that's intended more for old-school and manual players. Since it'll be a different mode, I can have different rules that discourage the kinds of tactics that currently turn a lot of potential players off. I don't know if that'll increase player populations, but I'm convinced that the current gameplay is keeping people away.

:mrgreen:

Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:37 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I'm still not sure what "the feel of multiplayer" means. Anybody else feel that TWGS seems less multiplayer than the HVS version? I suppose if you mean actually having more people playing, that would make a difference, sure ;) MBBS games have tended to have larger groups playing.

I've worked on getting the HVS code, even offered to pay for it, and HVS doesn't have rights to use it for anything else without my permission, but for some reason, I can't seem to get it.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:19 pm
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander

John Pritchett wrote:
I'm still not sure what "the feel of multiplayer" means. Anybody else feel that TWGS seems less multiplayer than the HVS version? I suppose if you mean actually having more people playing, that would make a difference, sure ;) MBBS games have tended to have larger groups playing.

I've worked on getting the HVS code, even offered to pay for it, and HVS doesn't have rights to use it for anything else without my permission, but for some reason, I can't seem to get it.

more games have been killed by issues like this than all bugs put together. its why i was shocked to find this game still active, and supported.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:50 am
Chief Warrant Officer

John Pritchett wrote:
Stoneslinger, I'm not sure what you're requesting. TWGS has supported player interaction since it was first released in 2000. And before that, the DOS BBS door that it runs started supporting player interaction in 1997. With the pricing I'm talking about here, to allow up to 100 simultaneous users on TWGS would be $80 (less if you've registered TW in the past).

It sounds like you have the HVS version. I don't have access to that code and I can't support it. But TWGS is intended to be a lower cost alternative to it. I even created a special login mode for MBBS/worldgroup games so you can integrate it with your BBS rather than running it as a separate server.

I'm sure I'm misunderstanding your point, because player interaction has been a part of this game forever.

Ah, the bad old days. Canada Remote Systems was running a 1000 line BBS back in the late 80's early 90's. While talking to them, I found out that they had seen some really interesting behavior in TW2002 V0.96 through 1.03D when multiple players were in the game - which isn't surprising as those versions weren't designed for multi-player use. Some of those bugs actually made it into the HVS version, and caused no end of problems with the early releases.

Ah, the good old days.

Trade Wars wasn't the only game that had this problem, there was a medieval combat game where a first level player could get killed, loose a level, and become level 255!

Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:01 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Immortal Op

John Pritchett wrote:

I dont think I put "the feel" into words, fast play, global commands, pages, ingame chat public/private(subspace raido etc) the ability to be in another game and recieve info if your tw assets get attacked. Its a whole lot of little things put together. Not sure if it can be achieved in a standalone game.

I know someone seems to be holding the code for the HVS version, HVS is bankrupt... Data Safe was selling reg codes for tw after the bankruptcy. Not sure who has the rights now but I do know Gary Martin is not holding it up and has said he will donate his intrests.http://www.themajorbbs.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=4183
Who knows maybe we'll see the beta I was helping with back in 97 will get finished for the WG/Major version.

Looking forward to your new work.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:06 am
Profile WWW
Immortal Op

The Mad Hatter wrote:
Ah, the bad old days. Canada Remote Systems was running a 1000 line BBS back in the late 80's early 90's. While talking to them, I found out that they had seen some really interesting behavior in TW2002 V0.96 through 1.03D when multiple players were in the game - which isn't surprising as those versions weren't designed for multi-player use. Some of those bugs actually made it into the HVS version, and caused no end of problems with the early releases.

Ah, the good old days.

Ahhh good ol CRS haha use to play many a tw game thier.... nothing like a few hundred traders hunting you down for the bounty on your head. If you ever see "Allanon" tell her to login to my bbs, havent seen her in years.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:12 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I actually need to correct Gary on that, and I will be making sure all of the relevant parties are aware of this correction. I own Gary Martin's share of the HVS version, and as such I control it as much as Gary Martin did. There will be no transfer of the code or any rights from HVS without my permission. Now, that said, I have been working with HVS to acquire their portion of the rights (and the code) so that I own it outright, and also working with a MBBS/worldgroup developer who is interested in maintaining that version of the game for me. If I could get Jeff to follow up on our conversation and accept the payment I have offered him for the code, this could all proceed and there would be as much support for the MBBS version as there is for my version.

Here is the portion of my contract with Gary Martin that makes this all very clear:

"Martech Software Inc. also transfers the rights and ownership of any percentage in the MajorBBS version of TradeWars 2002 as previously arranged with High Velocity Software, to John Pritchett."

So that is not at all ambiguous. I'm sure Gary has just forgotten the details since this contract was signed 10 years ago.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:47 pm
Profile WWW
Immortal Op

John Pritchett wrote:
I actually need to correct Gary on that, and I will be making sure all of the relevant parties are aware of this correction. I own Gary Martin's share of the HVS version, and as such I control it as much as Gary Martin did. There will be no transfer of the code or any rights from HVS without my permission. Now, that said, I have been working with HVS to acquire their portion of the rights (and the code) so that I own it outright, and also working with a MBBS/worldgroup developer who is interested in maintaining that version of the game for me. If I could get Jeff to follow up on our conversation and accept the payment I have offered him for the code, this could all proceed and there would be as much support for the MBBS version as there is for my version.

Here is the portion of my contract with Gary Martin that makes this all very clear:

"Martech Software Inc. also transfers the rights and ownership of any percentage in the MajorBBS version of TradeWars 2002 as previously arranged with High Velocity Software, to John Pritchett."

So that is not at all ambiguous. I'm sure Gary has just forgotten the details since this contract was signed 10 years ago.

Good to hear their is a remote possibilty of something in the future. I can not understand how some developers who are not makeing a penny continue to refuse a royalty/income for thier old work. Altho when a bankruptcy is involved thier must be a banker with his hand out somewhere.

As for the new tw your working on price, 3 levels would likely be best. Small game 25 bucks upto 8-16 users, medium 50 bucks 16-32 users, unlimited for $$$?.

The biggest problem today is most bbs's have 0 income.

Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:18 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3