View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 New changes 
Site Admin

Unread post New changes
I'm getting ready to post a new beta with these changes

1) Added page pause to several displays

sector display
planet scanner display
corporate list
corporate ranks
corp assets list
deployed fighter scan
deployed mine scan

2) Added pacing to planet update, port update, and warp route scan functions. These will not force a specific rate for these operations, but will guarantee that other players have enough CPU when these operations are active on long displays like planet list, ship list, etc.

3) Personal and Corp planet lists now sort on sector #, then planet #. Also, Personal and Corp planet lists show planet # in name

4) Added editor setting for capture fail percent. If a ship would normally be captured, this percentage determines the probability that the ship will be destroyed anyway.

5) Added editor setting for when podless ships can be capture. Choices are Always, Never, Unoccupied

6) Changes to Gold alien Corbomite use. Default alien spawn includes more Corbomite, with about half of spawned ships having some Corbomite at spawn. Also, aliens will buy Corbomite with surplus funds.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:41 am
Profile WWW
Gameop

Unread post Re: New changes
i gotta say, i am not liking adding pauses to lists. first, scripts will be broken, but scripts can adapt. the real problem is in macros. macros depend on things being predictable, but pauses are not predictable. you get into situations where in sector A your macro can be X, but in sector B, your macro will need extra keystrokes to account for the pauses - and gee if the number of ships in sector B changes, so does my macro.

i sure hope the new pauses obey the existing global toggle. old school mode might appreciate more pauses, but i turn them off right away. i'm cool with pacing, but pauses are not good.

also, while we're talking about pauses, i only had to deal with them as a scripter when reading the game logs - and they can be annoying. in general its no big deal to wait for the "[Pause]" and have the script hit enter. what's annoying is that after a short timeout, you get another "[Pause] - [Press Space or Enter to continue]". On a laggy connection, both pauses arrive at pretty much the same time and your script would hit enter twice, which causes problems. I was *very* happy when the global command to toggle screen pauses was introduced; my only complaint is that the toggle doesn't seem to apply to the login state where you read all received messages since the last time on.

Code:
Trade Wars 2002 Global Commands

<`> Federation Comm-Link
<'> Sub-Space Radio
<=> Hailing Frequencies
<;> Tavern Chat
<#> Who's Playing
<@> Game Status
</> Quick-stats
<|> Toggle Comm Silence
<^> Enter Computer Interrogation Mode (CIM)
<&> Toggle Screen Pauses
<\> Toggle Online Auto Flee
<:> Cleanup Mailbox
<*> List All Globals

helper : http://svn.thereverend.org:8080/revhelper/

Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:51 pm
Site Admin

Calm down, Rev ;) These are optional. You gotta set "Screen Pauses" in Personal Settings for them to show up. That's been a setting for years, and most long screens already have pauses. These are just displays that were overlooked for whatever reason, so I'm cleaning things up. People who want screen pauses probably want them for all multi-screen displays, not just a few.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:25 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

the reverend wrote:
my only complaint is that the toggle doesn't seem to apply to the login state where you read all received messages since the last time on.

That sounds reasonable. Of course, part of the problem with script/helpers is that any change, no matter how reasonable, can be a headache. Are there any objections to removing pauses from the messages based on the "screen pauses" setting?

I think the real mistake was reprompting the "[pause] - press space or enter to continue" rather than just tacking on the " - press space or enter to continue" with that ambiguous second "[pause]" token. I could probably change that pretty easily, but then again, there's the same issue of any change breaking existing scripts and helpers.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:36 pm
Profile WWW
Commander

taken the second word pause out would almost not break scripts .. but help in the long run.

The script most effected to that would be the login script.
And most players have that in source and can repair it if needed.

Although I don't think it would take much of a change (to users) if at all.

Good idea .. to fix as you said.

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Ka Pla

Winners of Gridwars 2010
MBN Fall Tournament 2011 winners Team Kraaken
Undisputed Champions of 2019 HHT Just for showing up!

The Oldist , Longist Running , Orginal Registered Owner of a TWGS server :
Vids World On Guam

Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:47 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

If it breaks a script, then fix the script. We can adapt to whatever changes.

"A man who has no skills can be taught, a man who has no honor has nothing."

Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:04 pm
Profile ICQ
Veteran Op

As far as the 2nd pause, I really don't think it's needed. However, either way could be worked around easily enough. I would also like to take the time to thank J.P. for putting in the effort to fix some of the things that desperately needed fixed, and I for one welcome the effort.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:46 pm
Gameop

John Pritchett wrote:
Calm down, Rev ;) These are optional. You gotta set "Screen Pauses" in Personal Settings for them to show up. That's been a setting for years, and most long screens already have pauses. These are just displays that were overlooked for whatever reason, so I'm cleaning things up. People who want screen pauses probably want them for all multi-screen displays, not just a few.

/me = calm

thanks for listening though. i really appreciate your responses - it is obvious that you are reading everything and not just taking first impressions.

i agree with promethius - scripts can adapt to a lot, but little changes that make scripting less complicated (like removing the extra [Pause] token) are welcome. i'd be less worried about breaking scripts than breaking helpers though. most scripts will be easily updated, but breaking a helper that is no longer maintained is a harder sell. then again, twx and swath are pretty much the only helpers still being used and they are both actively maintained, more or less.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:02 pm
Site Admin

I'm mostly worried about Swath. Are there other helpers still getting much use?

If there are a few helpers, it should be easy to test that change (and whatever other stuff) to make sure they don't break. Anyone who has a helper, I'd appreciate any feedback on whether anything I do breaks them.

Ok, that's changed. I wish everything was that easy ;) Once this is available for testing, please try it out with some helpers and let me know as soon as possible because I don't want to hear about how this broke someone's helper three years from now.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:02 pm
Profile WWW
Gameop

besides swath and twx, i can only think of attac and a few others. i started a thread to see if any others are being actively used.

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=26119

Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]