View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 TWGS game directories 
Site Admin

Unread post TWGS game directories
To simplify game management in TWGS, I would like to remove the ability to specify a custom game directory for a game. Instead, the game will always go into the directory at [TWGS]\GAME\GAMEA, [TWGS]\GAME\GAMEB, etc, depending on the menu letter of the game. Does anyone rely on the ability to set a custom directory for games?

Also, the game will no longer support changing the root directory. Of course it will be possible to do this from the registry, but that will not be supported behavior. If the root directory is changed, the next time the game is run it will move all of the games from the old directory to the new one.

Are there issues with this change?

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:54 pm
Profile WWW
Commander

Unread post Re: TWGS game directories
John Pritchett wrote:
To simplify game management in TWGS, I would like to remove the ability to specify a custom game directory for a game. Instead, the game will always go into the directory at [TWGS]\GAME\GAMEA, [TWGS]\GAME\GAMEB, etc, depending on the menu letter of the game. Does anyone rely on the ability to set a custom directory for games?

Yes, Daala and I do. We have custom directories already established. We use the \game\ocs_a, ocs_b, etc for our game folders. Our games that Daala and I play do not use ocs_<letter>, but use sysop_<letter>. This system was devised so that Daala could manage our games and site with ease in my absences.

John Pritchett wrote:
Also, the game will no longer support changing the root directory. Of course it will be possible to do this from the registry, but that will not be supported behavior. If the root directory is changed, the next time the game is run it will move all of the games from the old directory to the new one.

Define the "root" directory. Are you referring to the standard "c:\program files\blah blah.." ? We installed in c:\twgs, only due to the permissions that the OS has on copying/changing/deleting files in "c:\program files\..."

Overall, this may be an issue for us. We've customized our entire site and network based on the fact that:

1. Our TWGS resides in c:\twgs
2. Our games are located in c:\twgs\game\ocs_a, c:\twgs\game\ocs_b, etc...

By changing these features, we would have to revise our site and setup.

But risk has always been an inescapable part of warfare.

--

Knight to Queen's Bishop 3

Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:01 pm
Commander

Are you saying the root directory will always be c:\program files\...etc.? On 64-bit Windows, the default folder location causes TWGS not to function properly because the path length is too long. You fix it by renaming the folder to EIS. But if you hard code the path, you could introduce some such issue in a future OS. Also, some people might want to install to the d:\ drive for example.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:33 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I'm saying that the directory you install into will always be the root directory. But you can specify that directory when you install.

Ok, I was afraid that there might be too much dependence on game directories. What if I allow you to specify a game directory before you create a game, but once it's created, the directory is locked in?

Basically, I'm moving all of the game management out of the Configure area and into the Command Center so you can manage games entirely while the server is online. This means adding new games, activating/deactivating games, banging games, etc. I'm concerned that it's going to be messy to change a game's directory here. I could probably do it, I was just hoping it wouldn't be necessary. Theoretically, if a game is always in the same directory and you are told what that directory is, there's no reason you'd need to move it, is there? The main problem is that having given people that ability, there are some who would miss it if I took it away, right?

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:51 pm
Profile WWW
Commander

John Pritchett wrote:
I'm saying that the directory you install into will always be the root directory. But you can specify that directory when you install.

Ok, I was afraid that there might be too much dependence on game directories. What if I allow you to specify a game directory before you create a game, but once it's created, the directory is locked in?

Basically, I'm moving all of the game management out of the Configure area and into the Command Center so you can manage games entirely while the server is online. This means adding new games, activating/deactivating games, banging games, etc. I'm concerned that it's going to be messy to change a game's directory here. I could probably do it, I was just hoping it wouldn't be necessary. Theoretically, if a game is always in the same directory and you are told what that directory is, there's no reason you'd need to move it, is there? The main problem is that having given people that ability, there are some who would miss it if I took it away, right?

That's a good idea. Nice to be able to do the functions such as creating new games, etc without taking the server offline.

How will this work with installing the release? Will it read the existing configuration and carry the same structure? For example, if we install your release, will it read the setup to where the games and folders are, etc? Or will we have to manually input that information once the install is complete?

For us, we have our site 95% automated, so we're hoping that there will be little in the way of reconfiguring any of our applications and functions we have performed daily.

--

Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:10 pm
Site Admin

Yeah, my goal is to not break anything for anyone. So it will definitely recognize your custom directories. If it's a problem to move those into standardized directories, I won't do that.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:22 pm
Profile WWW
Commander

John Pritchett wrote:
Yeah, my goal is to not break anything for anyone. So it will definitely recognize your custom directories. If it's a problem to move those into standardized directories, I won't do that.

We're sorry John. We spend a long time getting our entire site and network structured. We don't mean to be a pain, but it would take a lot of work for us to rewrite all we have done to adjust for the directory changes.

--

Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:41 pm
Site Admin

I realized that it's probably still best to do this, because it will allow gameops to swap games in and out of a limited number of game slots. I worked on allowing unlimited game slots but with a limited number of active games, and there were just too many complications. Things like when you're on remote connection and you want to activate a game, what happens if you have like 100 games in your list? I have to deal with multiple pages or menus and sub-menus, it's just messy. Having a limited number of slots (25 slots) should work fine, as long as the op can point those slots to other directories where games reside. So you could have 100 games ready to go, but only 25 pointed to by TWGS, and then only a limited number you can activate based on the number of active slots you registered (25 for existing owners, but new owners may have fewer). For the vast majority of ops, 25 slots is plenty.

I'm guessing you'll want to be able to set the directory for a game slot in the remote command menu so that can be scripted? That should be easy enough to do.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:13 pm
Profile WWW
Commander

John Pritchett wrote:
I realized that it's probably still best to do this, because it will allow gameops to swap games in and out of a limited number of game slots. I worked on allowing unlimited game slots but with a limited number of active games, and there were just too many complications. Things like when you're on remote connection and you want to activate a game, what happens if you have like 100 games in your list? I have to deal with multiple pages or menus and sub-menus, it's just messy. Having a limited number of slots (25 slots) should work fine, as long as the op can point those slots to other directories where games reside. So you could have 100 games ready to go, but only 25 pointed to by TWGS, and then only a limited number you can activate based on the number of active slots you registered (25 for existing owners, but new owners may have fewer). For the vast majority of ops, 25 slots is plenty.

I'm guessing you'll want to be able to set the directory for a game slot in the remote command menu so that can be scripted? That should be easy enough to do.

If you want to make it available via remote command menu, then that is a bonus to the SysOp. With the ability to already make games inactive/active, open/closed, and now rebangs, you might as well make creating the game and all its features available. Providing it is not too much on you. IMO, you've done a lot already on the admin side with the mail and the fact we can rebang without having to shutdown the TWGS. Anything extra is a bonus, and of course appreciated.

--

Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:34 pm
Gameop

John Pritchett wrote:

I also make the folder names match the edit. i normally name the folders something like this "GameA Stock". The reason for this is so that you can stop serving game A and put a different edit in slot A, say "Game a Subzero" and then later when you're done with the subzero edit you can put the stock one back into slot A. This way i don't have to make guesses about what edit is in the folder GameA, the folder name tells me.

Also, if you're running your TWGS on any OS later than Windows XP, it is a big no-no to put volatile configuration data in the Program Files location. The TWGS should make use of Program Data folder or some other user store. I put my games in c:\TWGS\ even though my TWGS is actually installed under program files.

I don't mind if you enforce that the folder name can't change after it is added to the server. I don't change the folder names once they are set up.

helper : http://svn.thereverend.org:8080/revhelper/

Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:52 am
Commander

Rev. you are right .. the biggest problem I found in TWGS game directories is what edit it is after
I have changed them around.

Naming them like that does help.

I have been trying to add edit name to the Announcements to help me.
But have been wondering a better way to do it.

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Ka Pla

Winners of Gridwars 2010
MBN Fall Tournament 2011 winners Team Kraaken
Undisputed Champions of 2019 HHT Just for showing up!

The Oldist , Longist Running , Orginal Registered Owner of a TWGS server :
Vids World On Guam

Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:00 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I just finished a set of changes that should improve the game management considerably, but once it's out there, feel free to give more feedback on how to improve it. For now, I've moved all game management out of the configuration (offline) settings area and into the Command Center, so you can do the game management while the server is running without disrupting other games. I've maintained the ability to customize all directories. The game supports 25 "slots" as Game A to Game Z, minus Q for "quit" on the menu. If you register, say, 10 active games, then only 10 games can be active at any one time, but 25 can be assigned to slots to be swapped around. If you have more, you'll have to reassign the directory, which is pretty easy using a shell folder dialog. Just browse to the directory you want and select it.

I'm sure there are some nice things I can add to this as we go, but I need to get this new release wrapped up and out there for you guys to start using. Then we can talk about additional refinements.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:00 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]