View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Beta Server TWGS v2.00 
Commander

Unread post Re: Beta Server TWGS v2.00
Cruncher wrote:
Kewlbreeze wrote:
So your saying that you could bwarp anywhere in the universe and not use any planet fuel to do so at some point in TW history?

Ah.. nope, you needed a Level 1 with a t-pad and fuel.

So if you CAN'T PLOT the course how much fuel did you use? btw bwarp= t-pad in TW lango...

Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:48 am
Profile ICQ
Ambassador

Kewlbreeze wrote:
[So if you CAN'T PLOT the course how much fuel did you use? btw bwarp= t-pad in TW lango...

It was a BUG! T-pad did not require plotting a course then. Now it does so now you cannot blind warp to an orphaned sector. It's FIXED.

BOTE 1998 Champs: Team Fament
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team
HHT 2018 Champs: Rock Stars
Big Game 2019 Champs: Draft Team

Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://crunchers-twgs.com:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/4dja5Z8
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW

Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:14 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Commander

Cruncher wrote:
Kewlbreeze wrote:
[So if you CAN'T PLOT the course how much fuel did you use? btw bwarp= t-pad in TW lango...

It was a BUG! T-pad did not require plotting a course then. Now it does so now you cannot blind warp to an orphaned sector. It's FIXED.

Your sure you needed fuel on that level 1 planet to get to a area that did not have a way in.

Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:27 pm
Profile ICQ
Commander

I remember games with black holes. YOu could warp in to them but not out...But the game would set the xport distance to zero sectors to export out.

They made excellent bank planet sectors for those 2 year old games. Load the sector with figs and set the cannons and it was near impossible to invade

Coconut Telegraph (ICQ)#586137616
Team Speak3@ 220.244.125.70:9987
Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Winner of Gridwars 2010 - Ka Pla
Jesus wounldn't Subspace Crawl

Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:43 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Site Admin

I'll have a look at that. Thanks, Sing.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:10 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

Has anyone with the beta software tried to import a sub zero edit yet? It also must have edits from older versions of TWGS because the beta software won't edit it unless it's rebanged. If you rebang it with the only option that works, the ships/planets are all there, but 2 of the alien races are lost.

If the game is NOT rebanged, and the game is active this is what I get when I log into the game thru a player node and it kicks me back to the main screen:

---------------------------------------------------------

W Version 3.11 data detected. Converting to latest data

Converting records... (Original data saved as *.311)

GOLD Alien Records
GOLD Planet Records
Planet Records
User Records ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦

Edit: Anyone wanting to see what it does when you log in, it's active in the B slot at silverwingstwgs.com port 23

Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:56 pm
Site Admin

Same bug as with the other TWA.

The new update is up if you want to give it a try. I'm working on a major memory leak that's crashing Ice9, but I went ahead and posted an update with a few minor bug fixes including this one.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:20 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

If you grabbed the latest update before 10/8/2010 9:30 am central time, grab it again because I had a bad file and just replaced it.

Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:32 am
Profile WWW
Commander

The last upgrade I have is file version 5.0.349.0
is that current ?

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Ka Pla

Winners of Gridwars 2010
MBN Fall Tournament 2011 winners Team Kraaken
Undisputed Champions of 2019 HHT Just for showing up!

The Oldist , Longist Running , Orginal Registered Owner of a TWGS server :
Vids World On Guam

Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:48 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Yes, that's the latest one I've posted. Will have another one here soon, probably tonight.

Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:48 pm
Profile WWW
Commander

Why did the bang allow warps of more than 45? This is not going to work.

Either we need a longer warp path allowed or Big Bang needs to limit the warp paths better

Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:51 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Site Admin

I'm looking into this a bit, and I'm not sure there's a bug here. The fact is, Bigbang has never guaranteed that there is a course from each sector to each other sector. It guarantees that there is a valid course from Sector 1 to each sector. But if the maximum course length is 20, then it's theoretically possible that sector A is 20 hops from sector 1, and sector B is 20 hops from 1, and that the only way between these two sectors is through 1 so that the length of a course from Sector A to Sector B is actually 40 hops, twice the maximum course length.

The processing involved in doing a hard test for a valid course from any sector to any other sector is just too much. For a 1000 sector game, it's 1 million course plots. For a 30K sector game, it's 900 million plots.

One way to force a maximum course length on all courses would be to force all courses from sector 1 to sector N to be <= MaxCourseLength/2. That way, the longest possible path from any sector to 1 would be MaxCourseLength/2, and the longest possible path would be from Sector A to Sector B through Sector 1 at MaxCourseLength. I would be willing to make that change, but it will constitute a change in universe creation, which is not a trivial thing.

My guess is the reason this is showing up now is because with 30K sectors, you're much more likely to have paths that exceed the maximum course length. So we can either change the bang algorithm a bit and guarantee that all courses are < max course length, or we can leave it like it is with the understanding that there may be some courses that are as much as twice the max course length.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:22 pm
Profile WWW
Commander

Any bang in the beta with 45 warp path and 30k sectors will have them. What's with the delay's in the beta anyway? Why is this so broken?

Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:33 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Veteran Op

John Pritchett wrote:
I'm looking into this a bit, and I'm not sure there's a bug here. The fact is, Bigbang has never guaranteed that there is a course from each sector to each other sector. It guarantees that there is a valid course from Sector 1 to each sector. But if the maximum course length is 20, then it's theoretically possible that sector A is 20 hops from sector 1, and sector B is 20 hops from 1, and that the only way between these two sectors is through 1 so that the length of a course from Sector A to Sector B is actually 40 hops, twice the maximum course length.

The processing involved in doing a hard test for a valid course from any sector to any other sector is just too much. For a 1000 sector game, it's 1 million course plots. For a 30K sector game, it's 900 million plots.

One way to force a maximum course length on all courses would be to force all courses from sector 1 to sector N to be <= MaxCourseLength/2. That way, the longest possible path from any sector to 1 would be MaxCourseLength/2, and the longest possible path would be from Sector A to Sector B through Sector 1 at MaxCourseLength. I would be willing to make that change, but it will constitute a change in universe creation, which is not a trivial thing.

My guess is the reason this is showing up now is because with 30K sectors, you're much more likely to have paths that exceed the maximum course length. So we can either change the bang algorithm a bit and guarantee that all courses are < max course length, or we can leave it like it is with the understanding that there may be some courses that are as much as twice the max course length.

as an alternative couldnt you simply limit the setting range based on Universe Sectors. ie if its over X then max course length minimum is Y ? but if its under X then max course lenght is minimum C ????

Jesus woundn't SubSpace Crawl

Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:06 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Just to follow up on this, I personally think the solution I propose would work very well and create very reasonable game maps. The only down side I can think of is that existing games saved out as TWA files that are rebanged would result in a different game map than they originally did. You wouldn't be able to duplicate an older game map with the latest version. All the settings would be the same, but the warp structure would be different even if you had the same bang seed. Is that a problem? If it's not a big problem, it's probably better to go ahead and guarantee warp paths are valid between all sector pairs in a game.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:08 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next