View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 photon self det. 
Chief Warrant Officer

Unread post photon self det.
i has always struck me odd that the photons onboard would self detonate.
Here i am riding around in a huge ship, top shields, 400k figs... and a single offence fig stops me in my tracks.
That is just stone age.
i would like to see photons NOT self detonate, so we can use them in open space with greater comfort.
cc bee... out

Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:02 pm
Immortal Op

Unread post Re: photon self det.
cc bee wrote:
Here i am riding around in a huge ship, top shields, 400k figs... and a single offence fig stops me in my tracks.
That is just stone age.
i would like to see photons NOT self detonate, so we can use them in open space with greater comfort.
cc bee... out

A single fighter should not cause it to detonate, a sinlge mine maybe. 10 or more mines odds are pretty good the pmissle will detonate. The 0 turns is what needs to be addressed, not only for when a pmissle detonates onbaord but when you are attacked by an unscrupulous player who is to chicken to fight you when you have turns and fires a pmissle at you causeing 0 turns.

Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:34 am
Profile WWW
Chief Warrant Officer

geez, wish you were right on that one Stoneslinger... but a single offence fig hitting your ship will detonate you ptorp.
hehehe, probably been so long since that has happened to you ... ya forgot all about it... lol
Wish you would tell {-- cowboy --} about that... ya might convince him to keep his figs defence, when i play against him. That would save me a bunch of turns and anything i happen to have in my hand (as it flys across the room).
lol

cc bee... out

Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:27 am
Ambassador

Stoneslinger wrote:
cc bee wrote:
That is just stone age.
cc bee... out

A single fighter should not cause it to detonate, a sinlge mine maybe. 10 or more mines odds are pretty good the pmissle will detonate. The 0 turns is what needs to be addressed, not only for when a pmissle detonates onbaord but when you are attacked by an unscrupulous player who is to chicken to fight you when you have turns and fires a pmissle at you causeing 0 turns.

cc bee is correct - a single offensive fig can set off a photon torpedo. These are NOT things to be taken lightly, they are very explosive and will blow up in your face at the least little thing.

Lesson here - Don't carry them! Only buy then when you intended to use them!

Old School tip – have your corpie park in the L5 citadel in a loaded missile frigate, and allow ship exchanges. This way you can mow through all sorts of nasty stuff, lay a fig, warp to your planet, move it in, swap ships and photon away. Planet shields protect you from photons, both those being fired in your direction and the ones onboard.

2018 HHT Champs: Rock Stars

Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://Cruncherstw.no-ip.biz:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155 ... adewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW

Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:28 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Chief Warrant Officer

the current code for limpets and ptorps is prehistoric..

The Enterprise (star trek) would barely get under way before a torp would ruin there day.

In real world situations... new technology tends to be risky for the user... but as time goes by, that technology is made safer which equals more effective application. Frankly, core technology in tw (outside of edited ships and planets) has remained unsafe for the user, with no advancement in effectiveness.
Limpets and ptorps being the blatant primitive standstill technology. I find this to be an unacceptable and once again "unreal" condition in tradewars.

request again: Ptorps do not self detonate and limpets can be destroyed from adjacent sector and/or limpets are turned off during
photon wave.

cc bee... out

Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:16 pm
Chief Warrant Officer

A small "real world" observation if I may:

Going barnstorming in an F-16 might be a lot of fun...
Doing so with a pair of armed nukes under the wings, probably not so much...

Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:59 pm
Ambassador

cc bee wrote:
the current code for limpets and ptorps is prehistoric..

The Enterprise (star trek) would barely get under way before a torp would ruin there day.

In real world situations... new technology tends to be risky for the user... but as time goes by, that technology is made safer which equals more effective application. Frankly, core technology in tw (outside of edited ships and planets) has remained unsafe for the user, with no advancement in effectiveness.
Limpets and ptorps being the blatant primitive standstill technology. I find this to be an unacceptable and once again "unreal" condition in tradewars.

request again: Ptorps do not self detonate and limpets can be destroyed from adjacent sector and/or limpets are turned off during
photon wave.

cc bee... out

You do realize you are playing a game that is nearly 25 years old? JP wants to keep the classic feel of the game. You can always ask, but don't expect these types of changes.

For modern space trading games, do like so many others have done, go pay EVE.

2018 HHT Champs: Rock Stars

Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://Cruncherstw.no-ip.biz:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155 ... adewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW

Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:07 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Chief Warrant Officer

sure i do Cruncher, and i also see the game actively changing. Both, from the player side and the programmer. John, seems to want some suggestions, and that indicates some flexiblity in "his?" postion of "stay the course" / keep it honest to the genre.
We are a team, John and us... this teammate wants a few things changed that would create new challenges... new player styles.
I like to play solo, but that is a serious handicap in a universe gridded to the max. If i had the ability to photon my way around, thru, and under my enemy sectors, their grid would have less effect on my game. Presently, it is a struggle to get around in a busy game.
So, game play for most players (passives, newbs, returnee's...) is: build until the big boys take it all away from you.
How often can we expect players to run that treadmill before they give it up and ... Pay to play Eve!
This is a great game, and the game does not get in the way of good interaction between players.
AND, us old geezers can really relate to hehehe... ANSI
lol

cc bee... out

Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:08 pm
Lieutenant Commander

so long as everything new was toggleable, and easy to code... otherwise it prolly wont happen id think. good on you for brainstorming tho.

Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:17 pm
Chief Warrant Officer

Booger, i think you hit it right center in the head.

most of my suggestions should be on a toggle for the sys.

ptorps self det. yes/no
disrupters kill limpets. yes/no
etc....
for sure.

Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:24 pm
Commander

cc bee , your suggestion to have these options on toggle is cool , but I think like the "pod capturable" toggle ... it too will not be used by most.

But as I rebang games at my server I will set that to never , then look over all ships (mostly alien ships) in each of those edits to revamp them for better playing.

It doesn't hurt to ask , after so many years of asking I got that toggle added.
So now at least on my server it will be as it was when I first started playing.

I so remember those scout ships .. and IDC's , great carbo traps and safe ships.
IDC w/ carbo is good RTR ship to leave under SSS ports I use to let others use
and fig , I would even give back 10% (trust me cash) to those who used it.

That was my type of game back in the day.

Telnet://202.151.82.243:2002
Coconut Telegraph (ICQ)# 14340614
Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Winners of Gridwars 2010 - Ka Pla

The Oldist , Longist Running , Orginal Registered Owner of a TWGS server :
Vids World On Guam

Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:28 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Immortal Op

cc bee wrote:
geez, wish you were right on that one Stoneslinger... but a single offence fig hitting your ship will detonate you ptorp.
hehehe, probably been so long since that has happened to you ... ya forgot all about it... lol

cc bee... out

You'd be correct thier, cant ever rember a single fighter setting off an onboard pmissle, but you learn something new every day.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:41 am
Profile WWW
Chief Warrant Officer

hi Vid,

yes, fig arrays placed to funnel unexpecting traders thru a oneway and trapping them.
a bunch of other cool methods.
today it seems all about brute force, ping, "balls", and a hot corp.
Some of my suggestions certainly "hark" back to those days, when the uni was not gridded up my ying yang.
Hope i can count on your voice to support those suggestions you feel have value to the game and the players.
I am not too techno savy... i am a free thinker, not letting constraint interfere... so, what happens is an avalanche of ideas... some great, some good, and some that are just "Darn stinkers". (as Promethius pointed out about my twarp suggestion).
But, i will throw them out there and let you techno/pro's rip away at them.... hehehe... it's all good.

cc bee... out

Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:21 pm
Commander

What happened to the Black Market. Why not finish one idea before moving on.

Coconut Telegraph (ICQ)#586137616
Team Speak3@ 220.244.125.70:9987
Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Winner of Gridwars 2010 - Ka Pla
Jesus wounldn't Subspace Crawl

Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:29 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Chief Warrant Officer

my brain handles more than one thought at a time... if you want, i will slow it down for you, parrot.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next