View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 5K Beta 
Chief Warrant Officer

Unread post Re: 5K Beta
I agree that having the course length set itself based on the edit would be great, but I think you would need to "hard code" an absolute maximum...

Just my $0.03 worth...

Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:01 am
Commander

Well to low causes issue in map...too high just makes a long trip which in an unlim doesn't matter much and in a turn game can create modified game play which will be useful to some.

Coconut Telegraph (ICQ)#586137616
Team Speak3@ 220.244.125.70:9987
Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Winner of Gridwars 2010 - Ka Pla
Jesus wounldn't Subspace Crawl

Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:49 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Site Admin

Ok, here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to allow you to enter either a MaxCourseLength value from 20 to 255 (255 is the hardcoded maximum), or optionally enter 0 for Auto.

If you enter a value from 20 to 255, the bang will force the map to have warp paths that are always less than this value.

If you enter 0, Auto, the map is generated without a course limit, but then a test is done to determine the actual longest warp path, then max course length is set to this value. So, for example, on a standard 30K map, no bubbles, it's common for the maximum warp path to be in the area of 40 hops. But various settings can result in much lower or much higher path lengths.

Keep in mind that if you set to auto, you'll get the shortest maximum path that the map can support without having any invalid course plots, but you might still want to increase that in TEDIT to allow for players to set avoids and work with longer paths. The max course length is really two things here. One, it's a parameter for limiting the natural path lengths for a map, and two, it's a limit on the maximum course you want to plot during the game, and these two aren't necessarily the same.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:35 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2