View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 More on game delays and pacing 
Commander

Unread post Re: More on game delays and pacing
The fig refresh seems "jerky" now instead of smooth scroll.

Coconut Telegraph (ICQ)#586137616
Team Speak3@ 220.244.125.70:9987
Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Winner of Gridwars 2010 - Ka Pla
Jesus wounldn't Subspace Crawl

Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:00 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Commander

As for the other delays...This is on the gridwar game on Sg's server

It seems that twarp gridding will be plus 10ms on the cycle..This will make it a "hair" easier to get the gridder with a torp....Which imho is a good thing.

It seems that pgriding will be 10ms faster making it a "hair" easier to avoid a torp...Which is also a good thing. Planet griding takes a lot of resources.

Now if there was some way to eliminate the "photon" unlim bug and actually "stun" the gridder for 3 minutes if they were locked going out of sector then Unlim's might actually be playable.

Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:23 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Ambassador

Parrothead wrote:
As for the other delays...This is on the gridwar game on Sg's server

It seems that twarp gridding will be plus 10ms on the cycle..This will make it a "hair" easier to get the gridder with a torp....Which imho is a good thing.

It seems that pgriding will be 10ms faster making it a "hair" easier to avoid a torp...Which is also a good thing. Planet griding takes a lot of resources.

Now if there was some way to eliminate the "photon" unlim bug and actually "stun" the gridder for 3 minutes if they were locked going out of sector then Unlim's might actually be playable.

Just hitting a gridder in an unlim is almost impossible. I was in a game with Big D and running both density and fig hit torp scripts and couldn't touch him. I ran tests on my local server and would hit the outgoing gridder sometimes as he was exiting the sector with a prelock photon from the adjacent sector, but it didn't effect the gridder at all. The prelock is as fast as you can get and really not a smart script to run except in testing or with major backup in the sector. I tested with prelock keying off of a limpet hit.

The unlim photon bug does make it where unlim gridding really has no penalty - only penalty is if you get podded by jumping on another corp's limpet and get adjcent pdropped. A better penalty would be photon duration x 10 that actually worked so that 1 time in 1,000 sectors you get hit does something.

"A man who has no skills can be taught, a man who has no honor has nothing."

Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:57 pm
Profile ICQ
Site Admin

Ok, I'm definitely willing to work on fixing Photons for unlimited games. I'd like to address that and many other less critical things once the main server is released. I don't plan to put it out and then walk away. I want to continue this roll and get the game running as well as I can before I shift my focus elsewhere again for awhile.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:17 pm
Profile WWW
Commander

You WILL hit the gridder often in an unlim but the gridder is already prelocked from the macro burst (no one waits for a lock in a twarp gridder). When he moves to the other sector then he gets his "turns" back so it doesnt stop the script at all.

And the fig refresh "jerky" movement was from the screen scroll thing in Swath. Putty/telnet shows smooth scrolling

Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:15 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Reply to topic   [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7