View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Keeping MSLs clear 
Ambassador

Unread post Re: Keeping MSLs clear
Singularity wrote:
Parrothead wrote:
Well if they cant get in the game they cant whine.

Would be nice to have an option to close the
game on a timer. Not sure if that's feasible.

Otherwise, they'll sit at terra and whine about
yesterday's #SD#.

I can open it on a specified date/time with my game open script and shouldn't be an issue closing it with a small mod.

Off the wall - shame the forums don't have a live chat room.

"A man who has no skills can be taught, a man who has no honor has nothing."

Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:07 am
Profile ICQ
Site Admin

Yeah, I used to jump into a game and meet at the Tavern for live chats now and then ;) But it is nice to have everything here on record so I can refer back to it.

Although I heard a rumor that somehow my posts were getting deleted???? I don't know what's up with that.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:16 am
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

Promethius wrote:
I can open it on a specified date/time with my game open script and shouldn't be an issue closing it with a small mod.

True enough. A lot of functions are getting shifted to
server-side scripting these days. I suppose I could
even script a game to go inactive between the hours
of X and Y if I wanted.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:24 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Admin

Right, that's definitely true. But I would be missing a great opportunity to add value to my product by stealing your ideas where they're tried and proven ;)

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:47 am
Profile WWW
Ambassador

Singularity wrote:
Promethius wrote:

True enough. A lot of functions are getting shifted to
server-side scripting these days. I suppose I could
even script a game to go inactive between the hours
of X and Y if I wanted.

Probably should give it a shot. People that decide to stay with the current TWGS version might want that ability.

Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:16 am
Profile ICQ
Ambassador

John Pritchett wrote:
Yeah, I used to jump into a game and meet at the Tavern for live chats now and then ;) But it is nice to have everything here on record so I can refer back to it.

Although I heard a rumor that somehow my posts were getting deleted???? I don't know what's up with that.

Hmm, chats recorded into a forum and saved for others to read/comment on later? That would be very nice for some things such as scripting help discussions.

Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:18 am
Profile ICQ
Ambassador

Thrawn wrote:
Problem is server-side scripts are not the same. In other words, what one sysop does is not necessarily what another sysop does. For example, one sysop may protect (sweep) sectors adjacent to Fed sectors. We wrote our own to only sweep the MSL path from sector 1 to StarDock and don't touch all the adjacent sectors to Fed Space. I can also switch it to do other things, which includes removing anything from those sectors or any sector I specify. So when you say "how server side scripts do it", remember that there are different variations of scripts and things us Sysop's do. You'll need to be more clear as to which server or what specific script.

I'm not sure what having sector 6-10 in Open space is for. I may not fully understand your idea, but it sounds like this would make Fed Space smaller than it currently is.

OK, fair enough, I've not had opportunity to play very many different servers this year. On Ice-9 V'Ger creates "Fed Protected Sectors" 11 - 2000 and these are constantly patrolled (for the most part) and I believe it removes figs and armid mines. These ports are typically maxed as well for easy ppt'ing. He also had SD adjacent to Fed Space 1 - 10, so no need to sweep that MSL. This allows new players to enter the game at any time and get a "foot-hold". They can and DO build planets in the fed protected area but since they cannot have sector defenses they must move into Open Space after their 30 day from start truce expires. By then they should have L4 citadels.

True Fed Space 1 – 10 is NOT in the middle of Fed protected space, but rather on it’s edge. So some sectors from true Fed Space lead to protected space while others lead to unprotected or what I refer to as Open Space – no protection.

I don’t know much of anything about server side scripts other than my limited experience on a few servers as a player. Which would bring up a new twist – each of you do unique things with your scripts to create unique games for your players. So maybe we need to list the different types of things your server side scripts do so that JP if he wanted to could allow as much option and variation to retain that uniqueness for each sysop.

BOTE 1998 Champs: Team Fament
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team
HHT 2018 Champs: Rock Stars
Big Game 2019 Champs: Draft Team

Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://crunchers-twgs.com:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/4dja5Z8
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW

Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:40 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Commander

John Pritchett wrote:

I know, shocking. Apparently it involved a discussion of some options that you were involved with, and yet I could not find the posts. I even checked the logs, but nothing. And it happened apparently during the same time I was absent. Maybe your TW bug made it in here on the forum somehow. LOL

Cruncher wrote:
Which would bring up a new twist – each of you do unique things with your scripts to create unique games for your players. So maybe we need to list the different types of things your server side scripts do so that JP if he wanted to could allow as much option and variation to retain that uniqueness for each sysop.

I'm not sure that would work. You may not get a full picture, as some of us SysOp's keep our concepts and such "in-house". Besides, I'd have a pretty long list and I don't think John wants to spend another few months extra. :)

But risk has always been an inescapable part of warfare.

--

Knight to Queen's Bishop 3

Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:59 am
Veteran Op

John Pritchett wrote:

I've gone thru Admin,,Moderator..and User LOGS and i can find no record of any post or thread being deleted that wasn't moved for some reason to smackand NO threads were moved from BETA except by Thrawn ...Can you think of a post that should be there that isn't please let me know so we can track this down if there is an issue.

Jesus woundn't SubSpace Crawl

Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:07 am
Profile WWW
Commander

[OFF-TOPIC]

If John needs to read more about it, he can go here (page 3 specifically):

http://www.classictw.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=30702

[ON-TOPIC]

--

Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:18 am
Commander

Space Ghost wrote:
John Pritchett wrote:

I've gone thru Admin,,Moderator..and User LOGS and i can find no record of any post or thread being deleted that wasn't moved for some reason to smackand NO threads were moved from BETA except by Thrawn ...Can you think of a post that should be there that isn't please let me know so we can track this down if there is an issue.

A large time period is involved and not only your comments.
I would think data corruption is more likely culprit than actual deletion.

Coconut Telegraph (ICQ)#586137616
Team Speak3@ 220.244.125.70:9987
Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Winner of Gridwars 2010 - Ka Pla
Jesus wounldn't Subspace Crawl

Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:31 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Ambassador

[Off-Topic]
The threads people are talking about were in smack, they are still there (All the ss crawler topics). What I saw was that vid had a conversation with john outside the forum, not in any thread. It was like "Hey, I asked John about this and he said...."
[On-Topic]

H

I had to ask myself WWSGD?

Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:45 am
Profile WWW
Commander

John Pritchett wrote:
Right, that's definitely true. But I would be missing a great opportunity to add value to my product by stealing your ideas where they're tried and proven ;)

I say go for it. If you want to take some things that our server-side scripts are doing now, all you are doing is making it avail in the TWGS and freeing our script up from one task and allowing it to do something else. Might be a nice feature for others that are not familiar with scripting.

--

Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:07 am
Site Admin

Cool. ) I'll definitely give credit where appropriate.

In general, both player and gameop scripts provide me with insight into the kinds of features people want in this game, and though I don't want to keep people from customizing the game this way, I do think it's beneficial to incorporate the best ideas directly into the game from time to time. One of the things I want to do in v4 is provide more script/helper-like automation directly in the game.

Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:49 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4