View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Visual map... 
Gameop

Unread post Visual map...
JP if this in the wrong section please feel free to move. Before SG passed he and I where working on a new visual helper to be named TWX Terminal. The biggest idea for the helper was to create a visual map to allow you to "see" the universe. Unlike most new games TWars has always had one problem attracting new players... no visual appeal right fromt he word go! I think for TWars to continue to be successful, grow and attract new and younger users, as well as bring back in the EvE crowd it would be fool hardy not to see the advantage of having a visual aspect of the game, somewhat like ZOC but a command module developed and tweaked for TW.

My question is this, after developing the idea for TWX Terminal for several weeks I was able to put togther a basic project in .Net but really had a problem seeing the ultimate benefit, does the community think this type of project would be beneficial, and if so is anyone willing to work with me to develop a product like this? Also any feedback from the community in what you would love to "see" if something like this is developed?

My idea is to make a barebones emulator like ZOC that is fast, allows for macros, key short cuts, custom buttons, etc. but also incorporate a visual map, as well as some type of imaging system that could be enabled/disabled to show ports, planets, citadels, etc. beyond ansi or even using ansi more but giving a dedicated place apart from the actual flood of game play to ensure no ill effects on game play.

If anyone has any ideas, I am open to suggestions and development...

http://www.galactictw.com - your one stop resoruce for scripts, links, and fresh new games weekly!

Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:29 am
Profile ICQ WWW
1st Sergeant

Unread post Re: Visual map...
I'd be interested...

Actually, I am kind of working on a similar project as well :P

However I was going to do it in separate standalone pieces to give freedom of what to use rather than force a single all in one mega client. Since most use TWX Proxy, several stand alone component can work just as well.

Here is what I have in mind
    Visual Map
    A terminal to display TW "as it should"
    TWX GUI

Somewhere in there I'll need a status display but im not sure where yet :)

You're idea of reviving the old TW Term under a new flag is very interesting, but when it comes to graphics and sound effect, I ask myself the question: TW action is so fast most of the time, wouldn't it end up being a cacophonic blur ?

My TW Visual Map Helper

Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:57 am
Profile ICQ
Site Admin

I chatted with SG a lot about this. I'm definitely interested in seeing the game evolve into a format that's more accessible to modern players. During this beta cycle, I experimented with two features that would be a move in that direction. One is a "realspace" Bigbang option and the other is internal automation. Both are in the code now, but are disabled with compiler options.

"Realspace" is a special Bigbang algorithm where all sectors are mapped out on a flat hex grid. This facilitates the representation of a flat visual map. This is something I'd like to explore a bit with this community to see how much gameplay is effected by the use of a hex map rather than the randomly scattered map that is currently used.

I actually implemented a simple ANSI map display showing visible space in your vicinity, but of course a graphical client could provide so much more functionality around a flat TW map.

I originally considered making these features for this release, but then decided that they're a significant enough change that they needed to be part of a TWv4. And that's where it is today. It's something (along with several other plans) I'd like to do as soon as I can. For now, TWGS v2 is out and I'll continue to address bugs, but my primary focus is on other projects again.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:08 am
Profile WWW
1st Sergeant

I started a new thread in the helper section to talk about my own progress

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=31812

My TW Visual Map Helper

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:10 am
Profile ICQ
Commander

disclaimer.. I've 'speed' read the inital post, wanted to get this idea off asap...

My suggestion would be to have a term with prompt functionality like that of the mombot.. that is.. a subfolder where I could drop in CTS (script), like files and execute them like a command in the mombot.. just that for starters.

-= If Oil is made from Dinosaurs, and Plastic is made from Oil... are plastic Dinosaurs made from real Dinosaurs?
-= I like to keep my friends and my enemies rich, and wait to see which is which - Tony Stark (R.I.P.)

Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:15 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Veteran Op

IMO, it'd just be nice to have an exe that can be fed a warpspec and displays a graphical map. A window that can change sectors when I type in a new sector, or be minimized to the background if I don't need it.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:07 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
1st Sergeant

Singularity wrote:
IMO, it'd just be nice to have an exe that can be fed a warpspec and displays a graphical map. A window that can change sectors when I type in a new sector, or be minimized to the background if I don't need it.

My visual map do change to current sector automaticly and since its a standalone application, you can minize it like any application. I don't have to feed it anything tho, it connect on TWX Proxy and get its information live.

I was planning on some route display feature, can you give more detail?

My TW Visual Map Helper

Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:30 pm
Profile ICQ
Veteran Op

Ah. Routes are fine too if you want. Is there a way to look up a sector that isn't your current TA? That's a necessity.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:38 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
1st Sergeant

Singularity wrote:
Ah. Routes are fine too if you want. Is there a way to look up a sector that isn't your current TA? That's a necessity.

I'm not sure but I think it would pick up if you do the display remote sector command in the game. I'll either make it work with that, or implement a "display this sector" look up tool.

My TW Visual Map Helper

Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:55 pm
Profile ICQ
Veteran Op

K. Sometimes I move around a lot, so it helps to have a way to override what twxproxy is seeing. Like I may want to be moving around in twx, but looking at another sector on the map.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:20 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]