View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Node Issue 
Commander

Unread post Re: Node Issue
I'm not going to go to the lengths to discuss each one , but instead take a couple.

Mega rob - you can bang a game to mimic MBBS without it being MBBS per say , and effectively eliminate mega rob.

CBY cashing - turn on death delay.

Blowing star dock - maybe soon there will be a hardening multiplier in Bang.

Blocking fed or Dock surround - use SO_PortFixer , or manually move dock
to adj sector 1.

CLV watching from menu or Main Menu watch - all part of the game and is do-able by all .. so is fair .. IF only I can do this .. maybe it would be cheating.

Unlike chess in the park verse chess on computer .. chess in the park you could distract your opponent and make an illegal move where a computer has set rules you can not bend.

And backstabbing - well is not cheating , just very unethical and wont make friends therefore your name becomes trashed and players will be hesitant to play with unknowns.

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Ka Pla

Winners of Gridwars 2010
MBN Fall Tournament 2011 winners Team Kraaken
Undisputed Champions of 2019 HHT Just for showing up!

The Oldist , Longist Running , Orginal Registered Owner of a TWGS server :
Vids World On Guam

Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:43 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

Singularity wrote:
MicroBlaster wrote:
From my point of view, I would have to say YES all of those are cheating with the exception of Megarob in an MBBS enabled game.

That's the problem, each person has a different point of view. But it's the sysop that pays the bills for their server. So regardless of what other people think is or is not cheating, it's the sysop that gets to determine that. What we think is irrelevant, if the sysop says it's not cheating then it isn't... if they say it is, then it is. If you don't like the sysop's rules, don't play on that server.

If you want to ban any or all of those things on your server, you are free to do so. But just because you think they're cheating doesn't mean people can't do it on other servers, and doesn't make those players cheaters. They're just playing by a different set of rules, the one set forward by the sysop.

OMG, I actually agree with most of that...

The problem is though that the sysop doesn't get to choose which rules he wants to enforce, because the game doesn't have that ability.

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:51 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Veteran Op

MicroBlaster wrote:
The problem is though that the sysop doesn't get to choose which rules he wants to enforce, because the game doesn't have that ability.

It may not be entirely automated, by the spy mode does give the sysop the ability to monitor the game. Granted, it's more work than most are willing to do, but regardless of the effort it takes the rules are inevitably up to the sysop to enforce. The buck stops w/ the sysop.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:05 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Admin

Just wanted to clarify some things. There are plenty of bugs. Megarob was a bug. Whenever there's a bug, there's always the decision whether it's something that adds to the game or detracts from it, and I listen to the players to make that call. For HVS, Megarob was such an integral part of the game, it seemed appropriate to make it part of the MBBS flavor. That's the point of the MBBS mode, to emulate that game as it's played. And that bug is still part of that game, isn't it?

Another bug-turned-feature was Transwarp Tow. It wasn't designed, but people could do it, and the use of this bug was not detrimental to the game. It added to it. There is always a debate about whether or not a tactic adds to the game or detracts from it. But there are clearly many bugs, or tactics that were not intended. Things like clearing Limpets. It's a difficult thing to address these issues, because everything needs to be a setting. You can't just "fix" something.

Obviously I have my own feelings about what's intended gameplay. I can't enforce that. But gameops should be able to set their own rules and those who play on their server should respect the wishes of the op and follow those rules. If they say no subspace scanning, then if you play there, you should follow those rules. If you don't, THAT'S CHEATING. I won't go so far as to say that if you don't play like I expect you to play, that's cheating. I'd rather put that on the gameop to decide. And if I feel strongly about something, I'll make the game enforce the rule. A game developer should never expect any player to follow a rule. That's just axiomatic. If it can be done, players will do it.

But don't confuse acceptance of bug use or incorporation of a bug into an official feature to mean that it's not a bug. And bug use becomes cheating when a gameop says that it's not allowed on his/her server.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:46 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

Singularity wrote:
MicroBlaster wrote:

It may not be entirely automated, by the spy mode does give the sysop the ability to monitor the game. Granted, it's more work than most are willing to do, but regardless of the effort it takes the rules are inevitably up to the sysop to enforce. The buck stops w/ the sysop.

Yes, but they can only spy on one node at a time and the text is usually going by to fast to read anyway.

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:01 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Immortal Op

Cruncher wrote:
Stoneslinger wrote:
More sportsmanly(womanly).... HAHAha who do think your kidding, you use every unscrupulous tactic mentioned above and even some not mentioned. 0 points -4,500,000 align...

Kav discused with you Mega rob before we used it, you gave us permission, we didn't have to ask, but we did.

You miss me, I know... smooches! :wink:

I was not speaking of mega rob, and no I dont miss you.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:08 pm
Profile WWW
Immortal Op

MicroBlaster wrote:
Big D wrote:
Well, you'd better talk to the game designer then. JP has publicly stated that megarob is not a bug, and that sub space crawling is fair game play and won't be changed.

Mega-rob WAS a bug. It was caused by an overflow of a signed integer in the HVS version of the game. JP turned it into a "Feature" because of popular demand. He also made it a game option so that GameOps can turn it off.

...and we didn't need a GameOp staring over our shoulders to make sure we weren't cheating by using this bug. We just didn't use it. Period.

Im awaiting the next bang to enable a feature that disables mega rob and numerous rob/steal/buy down tactics in the HVS version. Not really fair to enable it once the game has been in play for several weeks.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:12 pm
Profile WWW
Immortal Op

Vid Kid wrote:

CLV watching from menu or Main Menu watch - all part of the game and is do-able by all .. so is fair .. IF only I can do this .. maybe it would be cheating.

Cheat, nasty tactic especially on a lower node count server. Any automated monitor of player activity by a bot/script that takes automated actions, should be considered a cheat by all sysops.

Vid Kid wrote:
And backstabbing - well is not cheating , just very unethical and wont make friends therefore your name becomes trashed and players will be hesitant to play with unknowns.

Mixed corp back stabbing... is a cheat due to the unfair advantages that can be gained by a corp useing this tactic. Letalone when red/evil and blue/good switch alignments daily to avoid score penalties and in some cases even useing the 0 score bug (hvs) to hide their activities from other players.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:32 pm
Profile WWW
Immortal Op

John Pritchett wrote:
Just wanted to clarify some things. There are plenty of bugs. Megarob was a bug. Whenever there's a bug, there's always the decision whether it's something that adds to the game or detracts from it, and I listen to the players to make that call. For HVS, Megarob was such an integral part of the game, it seemed appropriate to make it part of the MBBS flavor. That's the point of the MBBS mode, to emulate that game as it's played. And that bug is still part of that game, isn't it?

The recently found HVS 2.03a for Worldgroup 3nt has a switch to disable this. The current game running on The Swamp BBS allows for mega-rob. I will be enableing the "BlockStealSell" option in the next HVS game. Hopefully it will work.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:45 pm
Profile WWW
Immortal Op

John Pritchett wrote:
But don't confuse acceptance of bug use or incorporation of a bug into an official feature to mean that it's not a bug. And bug use becomes cheating when a gameop says that it's not allowed on his/her server.

It becomes quite tiresome proveing someone is "breaking the rules", then when you do prove them to be a rule breaker/cheat, they tend to bash you and your bbs publiclly denying they were cheating or the fact that
"the game allows it so it cant be cheating"

Sad a sysop almost needs to be a lawyer these days to make a rule and most of the users have no reguard for the rules. The "I didnt do it" till I get caught attitude of many players is anoying to say the least.

I must thank JP for the new versions abilty to help sysops control whats possible and not possible in the game.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:06 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I know relying on sysops to enforce rules is imperfect, but it's the best we have at the moment.

Quote:
The recently found HVS 2.03a for Worldgroup 3nt has a switch to disable this. The current game running on The Swamp BBS allows for mega-rob. I will be enableing the "BlockStealSell" option in the next HVS game. Hopefully it will work.

I'm willing to improve the HVS mode's emulation. I was hoping if I got my hands on that version's code from Moriarty that I'd be able to really nail that. But with the help of HVS players, I could certainly improve it, and provide a bit more flexibility like a toggle for Megarob if that's what's currently allowed in that version.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:46 pm
Profile WWW
Commander

Actually , I don't have a problem with it if it had to change because
Sing posted an IRC patch to relay in game activities to corpies on IRC channel
so as long as there is enough time limit to cover 24 hrs by a whole corp ..
Monitoring could be done in game instead ... good for the scriptors.

Btw Stoneslinger ;
Quote:
Any automated monitor of player activity by a bot/script that takes automated actions, should be considered a cheat by all sysops.

What about a script that does the monitoring and record , no action ?
mine does this .. that way when I get to keys I see who has been in and when .. plus it gives me an idea of what the were doing maybe.
Is this wrong ?

As for the
Quote:
especially on a lower node count server

This node sitting .. well its good for J.P.'s sells .. encouraging sells of more nodes huh ?

Cruncher
Quote:
servers host a private, closed game.

I did that for years .. and had a very low user count.
As it turns out .. a BBS front end will accomplish the same thing.
Make it harder for players to get into games and you can host a near empty server.

So who would need a large server , heck maybe J.P. could buy back nodes from those who want to go private ? <jk>

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Ka Pla

Winners of Gridwars 2010
MBN Fall Tournament 2011 winners Team Kraaken
Undisputed Champions of 2019 HHT Just for showing up!

The Oldist , Longist Running , Orginal Registered Owner of a TWGS server :
Vids World On Guam

Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:40 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I'm forced to consider an option to have Corp-wide time limits. So if any member of a Corp is online, time is running for the whole corp.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:31 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Quote:
I did that for years .. and had a very low user count.
As it turns out .. a BBS front end will accomplish the same thing.
Make it harder for players to get into games and you can host a near empty server.

I don't really think you get the point of most private servers. It's like if you want to DM a game of D&D. You find a group of friends and you host a game for them. Most private TWGS games are among friends, not public with private access. I'm sure it is hard to get strangers to join your private server. Why would they choose you over any other?

Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:39 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

John Pritchett wrote:
I'm forced to consider an option to have Corp-wide time limits. So if any member of a Corp is online, time is running for the whole corp.

Should I point out that most of us have more than 4 ppl we can contact, and have the rest just sit at terra as needed to check the time? There's no requirement for them to be on corp. Heck, you could even drop corpies and have them sit and monitor, then rejoin when they're needed.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:43 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next