View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Dumping to menu 
Veteran Op

Unread post Re: Dumping to menu
John Pritchett wrote:
And since it's impossible to detect or to deter players from using external communications, the only possible way to correct that imbalance is to remove all risk from the use of ss. Is my logic correct on this? And if ss becomes a secure messaging system, what other aspects of the game will that effect? As Vid put it, what can of worms would this open up?

If your on Corp 1 your SS = 1
Corp 2 = 2
1 - 100 Corp secured
101 - 500 Player secured (Assigned)

Don't like it then just pick above 500. Just as a suggestion, could widen the numbers but for current player that will exceed anything that I have ever seen.

Worrying about what a player will exploit next is impossible to predict, fix the known and forget about the rest. People are always looking for an edge.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:55 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Site Admin

-=orion=- wrote:
knowing who is on is useful... myself i use it to see if i want to play at that moment.... Like in your Game A...If tc is on i dont play....i know he is on pdrop.... there are certain players that talk too much on Fed com so I avoid playing at these time... Its not stategy based its just for the enjoyment of the game...

Well, this is an independent server setting, and if players prefer not to use it, I'm sure an op won't set it. I'll go ahead and turn it off on the beta site. I just wanted to have a look at it and make sure it's working.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:48 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

John Pritchett wrote:
-=orion=- wrote:
knowing who is on is useful... myself i use it to see if i want to play at that moment.... Like in your Game A...If tc is on i dont play....i know he is on pdrop.... there are certain players that talk too much on Fed com so I avoid playing at these time... Its not stategy based its just for the enjoyment of the game...

Well, this is an independent server setting, and if players prefer not to use it, I'm sure an op won't set it. I'll go ahead and turn it off on the beta site. I just wanted to have a look at it and make sure it's working.

John Pritchett wrote:
1) TWGS only displays the number of players online, not the player names, nodes and games.
2) High scores list updates hourly.
3) Daily log at startup doesn't show events within the last hour.

While I can see why #1 makes sence for these settings, but I'll have to agree with Orion on this one. Particularly if it's a time limit game with a relog penalty, I would not want to have to log into the game just to see who's on.

Can you make independant toggles for each of the 3 settings?

? for #3 - Once fully logged into the game, does the CLV show current data or is there always an hour lag?

BOTE 1998 Champs: Team Fament
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team
HHT 2018 Champs: Rock Stars
Big Game 2019 Champs: Draft Team

Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://crunchers-twgs.com:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/4dja5Z8
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW

Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:43 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Commander

T0yman wrote:
John Pritchett wrote:
And since it's impossible to detect or to deter players from using external communications, the only possible way to correct that imbalance is to remove all risk from the use of ss. Is my logic correct on this? And if ss becomes a secure messaging system, what other aspects of the game will that effect? As Vid put it, what can of worms would this open up?

If your on Corp 1 your SS = 1
Corp 2 = 2
1 - 100 Corp secured
101 - 500 Player secured (Assigned)

Don't like it then just pick above 500. Just as a suggestion, could widen the numbers but for current player that will exceed anything that I have ever seen.

Worrying about what a player will exploit next is impossible to predict, fix the known and forget about the rest. People are always looking for an edge.

Toyman , that is an excellent suggestion , reserving the first 500 SS channels for corp channels .. that would not break scripts and would make secure corp comms.

I can't wait for the next upgrade to TWGS , so far I had my reservations about upgrading.
But have noticed (with chats with friends) that all these settings are configurable and viewable by the players.
So if you don't like some setting , go back to the JumpGate or other web site and find another server to try.

One thing I'de like added soon would be the class 0/9 hardening feature in Bang menu.
I think my hardening script only goes as far as times 7.
Although I don't know if 10 might be a better top end.

Either way , once these ports were set this high , it is not worth blowing.
Even by the most powerful teams.

Last thing .. Great job on this project John.
I really hope trade wars lasts a long time ..
even if there are a few "un welcome mats" out there.

I hope not enought to kill the game.

I can't wait to see what kind of tourney settings there will be in the future now that we have enough to really screw up an edit.
(too bad SG isn't around to do his best) , he always had a way to make things
very dificult in an edit ... he would love what he could do now with just the last 10 things added to TWGS.

He will always be remembered , I didn't ever have a problem with him .. just his edits .. lol
BTW for those who remember he also had a radio show I appeared on once or twice all the way from Guam.

Gotta love that guy ;)
may he live forever in out thoughts.

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Ka Pla

Winners of Gridwars 2010
MBN Fall Tournament 2011 winners Team Kraaken
Undisputed Champions of 2019 HHT Just for showing up!

The Oldist , Longist Running , Orginal Registered Owner of a TWGS server :
Vids World On Guam

Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:46 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Quote:
I can't wait to see what kind of tourney settings there will be in the future now that we have enough to really screw up an edit.

I'd say there has been more than enough ways to really screw up an edit for a long time now. But hey, that's how you separate the elite ops from the masses, right? I just want people to be able to experiment and provide the kinds of games their players want.

The "hide connection details" setting for TWGS menu has been requested many times. Now that it's in, maybe people will think better of it. I'll let them decide.

Vid, I definitely intend to do the port hardening. Just keep on me ;)

If you don't like the "hide connection details" setting in general, you should at least like it because it finally forced me to move a bunch of server settings out of the offline Config area and into the Command Center in a new Server Settings tab. So you'll be able to toggle settings like this without dropping the server. And while I was at it, I brought IP management along with it. So you can ban and unban from the CC now. Woot :)

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:31 am
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

John Pritchett wrote:
So you'll be able to toggle settings like this without dropping the server. And while I was at it, I brought IP management along with it. So you can ban and unban from the CC now. Woot :)

Very nice, thanks this has been a long time coming. :-)

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:09 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Commander

I second that , that was a requested thing in the config menu ...
Not that I ban many players .. but I have been banned more then once
and cause a SysOp doesn't want to take his server down
was an excuse for not being un-banned.

So the change is welcome news ;)

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Ka Pla

Winners of Gridwars 2010
MBN Fall Tournament 2011 winners Team Kraaken
Undisputed Champions of 2019 HHT Just for showing up!

The Oldist , Longist Running , Orginal Registered Owner of a TWGS server :
Vids World On Guam

Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:50 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2