View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Some thoughts about future TWGS version features 
Sergeant Major

Unread post Some thoughts about future TWGS version features
I wanted to suggest a couple thoughts on TWGS v2+ features, which JP can choose to use or not use:

Display the consecutive online time at the TWGS login screen. I've been having more problems with servers going down after investing fairly big amounts of time into the game than anything else since I've been back.

Follow command maybe? like muds

Consider implementing a [sysop configurable] number of maximum bank transfers per day or sysop configurable span of time, a [sysop configurable] maximum times per day or sysop configurable span of time a player can join and leave a corporation.

Different game modes which can utilize the software to enforce the rules rather than a gentleman's agreement:

Code:
  i. truce--no deploying more than [sysop configurable] figs, no attacking, no acts of war for [sysop configurable] days. consider making an option to enforce deployed figs only up to [sysop configurable] warps away from MSL's. (you should always be able to kill aliens in either truce or builder mode)
  ii. building campaign--no deploying more than [sysop configurable] figs, sysop decides on attacking and of war (basically just an extended/modified truce). this option would probably help disillusioned oldschoolers warm back up to playing again. (you should always be able to kill aliens in either truce or builder mode)
  iii. capture-the-flag--just like regular tradewars, except there is a flag (maybe planet) that an individual or corp must capture. TWGS tracks who owns it and watches the duration of their ownership. when the game is called, the winner is the player or corp with the most ownership time. maybe bigbang in this mode plugs backdoors into ALL bubbles and deadends, so the players will have at least a bit more work to do if they want to fortify the flag--might need other options to keep the game fluid, for example, limitations on fortifying sectors, the flag planet should have transwarp capability but no defenses. consider having just a couple ships available: 1 for invading (heavy military, not great at trading), and one for trading.
  iv. take-and-hold--similar to capture the flag, except the flag is a sector or multiple sectors instead of an object or planet. sectors could be high traffic or hidden by sysop preference.
  v. deathmatch--winner is based solely on kills minus deaths. terra produces figs instead of cols if sysop wishes.
  vi. tournament--same as before.

Consider having other options for how to track player ranks than experience. There used to be a utility back in the BBS days that would tally up all assets and assign point values to create a ranking. Really, experience has little to do with who wins at Tradewars, other than it helps Reds make more moolah, and it gives a rough indication of how much cash Blues have been making.

I think deathmatch & CTF would be very interesting with just 2-4 ship types... something fast, something for cash, something that attacks.... etc.

These would be practically new games... it's still Tradewars only different.

Just food for thought....

Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:23 pm
Site Admin

Unread post Re: Some thoughts about future TWGS version features
Some good ideas there. I'm very interested in providing some game modes. I just haven't had the time to take a serious look at it.

I'm most interested in getting the server to be stable at this point. If you're having a lot of server crashes, I want to figure out why and get it running. The server on my beta site runs forever without a hiccup, so the only way I'm going to be able to troubleshoot problems with server stability is going to be by working with ops like you who are having these problems.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:37 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]