View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 2:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Before Next Release 
Ambassador

Unread post Re: Before Next Release
How many of use would obey the speed limits if there weren't cops out there to enforce them?

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:16 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Veteran Op

Actually you can leave things just the way they are, and I'll post this script. I have many ways to avoid this problem. Non scripters may find this as a problem.

http://myplace.frontier.com/~dearlholt/sscs.zip

Super Sub Space Crawler - Bot add on script
1) User abilities to bot a corpie to run it.
2) Will crawl sub space channels starting at any number
3) Forward & backward search capabilities.
4) User option to pause between channels for a chosen amount of time.
5) Will return the user to the original sub space channel when done.
6) Will save to file any information found.

BTW, this is the 3rd time I've posted links to this script. Once was BEFORE Helix called me a liar.

Last edited by Big D on Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:54 pm
Commander

Quote:
But is it even possible to enforce very rule? Anytime you have a game on the net, it becomes almost impossible to enforce the rules. I can add a rule to the game, but if the attitude prevails, someone (or lots of people) will find a way around it. There needs to be some responsibility among the community. And bashing the ops in the forum for having rules is not the way to keep this game alive. Bashing the players who break those rules when they're found out, that's a start.

Quote:
If the game allows it, and the log doesn't log it, how would an op enforce it?

This kinda sounds like the writers of a chess game .. if they allow the pon to move 6 spaces .. it could and would at times.

So if the programer put something in to prevent such things , it would need no rules maybe ?

Just a thought .. and the reason for this post .. lol

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Ka Pla

Winners of Gridwars 2010
MBN Fall Tournament 2011 winners Team Kraaken
Undisputed Champions of 2019 HHT Just for showing up!

The Oldist , Longist Running , Orginal Registered Owner of a TWGS server :
Vids World On Guam

Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:03 pm
Profile WWW
Gameop

Vid Kid wrote:
Since this was brought up before .. and several releases have gone by.

This has not come to lite , yet many other things have been added or changed.

What I'm talking about here is the Sub-space channel assignments for corp channels.

Channels 1 through 100 for corps 1 through 100
anyone off a corp or drops a corp go to channel zero
Like at start of your player initialize game player account.

You can still use > 100 , but the use of sub-space scanners would be completely
removed from game.

There was talk about this .. but nothing has changed except other things.

Any chance that will happen soon ?

So... In real life when you get 'discharged' do you lose the ability to use a specific wavelength? Or do you just lose the handheld radio?

That's just too much crap to add to the game. it is the corps responsibility to make the necessary 'security' changes when they dismiss someone.

Part of playing the game is managing the security of your corp. Automating it just seems stupid (and lazy) to me. As far as making changes to enable scripting of them, that also just feeds the entire idea of being able to completely script an entire game, start to finish.

Of course, I am sure there are people that would love to start a scripted game when they leave for work, then come back and see if they've won. Whoa baby!@ ... (lol)

Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:12 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Veteran Op

Master Blaster wrote:
So... In real life when you get 'discharged' do you lose the ability to use a specific wavelength? Or do you just lose the handheld radio?

That's just too much crap to add to the game. it is the corps responsibility to make the necessary 'security' changes when they dismiss someone.

Part of playing the game is managing the security of your corp. Automating it just seems stupid (and lazy) to me. As far as making changes to enable scripting of them, that also just feeds the entire idea of being able to completely script an entire game, start to finish.

Of course, I am sure there are people that would love to start a scripted game when they leave for work, then come back and see if they've won. Whoa baby!@ ... (lol)

Believe me, I'm sure Vid has a much greater capability to protect his corp from crawlers than most people that play this game do. He's suggesting this change NOT for his benefit, but for the benefit of players that can't script and won't have access to the scripts that protect corporate security. Those of you that use the latest public releases of mombot, team sst/sdt scripts, or other public scripts that report over sub space will find out just how unsecure your corp security will be.

Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:23 pm
Site Admin

How does a player know if an op is cheating by editing the game? Is there every going to be a way for me to stop that, or log it? But it's such a stigma on an operator if they are somehow caught that most won't do it. If we can get that same attitude among players on certain tactics, that would be great.

It's one thing to be talking to ops who are saying "my players are doing this. Please help me stop them". I'll always be responsive to that, even if it's tilting at windmills. But it's something else entirely to be talking to players who are saying "we're doing this. Please make us stop!". To players, I'd say "take some responsibility!".

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:04 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

John Pritchett wrote:
How does a player know if an op is cheating by editing the game? Is there every going to be a way for me to stop that, or log it? But it's such a stigma on an operator if they are somehow caught that most won't do it. If we can get that same attitude among players on certain tactics, that would be great.

It's one thing to be talking to ops who are saying "my players are doing this. Please help me stop them". I'll always be responsive to that, even if it's tilting at windmills. But it's something else entirely to be talking to players who are saying "we're doing this. Please make us stop!". To players, I'd say "take some responsibility!".

It's because you have players that say sub space crawling is an advanced tactic and not immoral. You've heard opinions from several of them in this thread. If some are going to use it and it's not possible to stop them, then the best thing for us scripters to do is make sure the other players can use the same tactic against those players that WILL use it.

Passing this script out won't effect me, Vid Kid, Singularity, etc., or any of the players that corp with us, because those players will have the scripts they need to protect corporate security. The players that will suffer are the players that just get back into the game or new players that download the basic public scripts and start using them.

Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:12 pm
Gameop

Ok. This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Subspace crawling is the same as me sitting at my desk listening to others conversations on a Ham radio. Listening to radio frequencies is part of the game. If you want totally secure conversations, then send an email. Or better yet, devise a way to encrypt the messages being sent. I'm sure some scripter can figure out a way to create an encryption method with seed keys and stuff. c'mon, this is Twar! Adding things to the game to offset or change this isn't something that needs any attention.

WAIT A MINUTE! I seem to remember an old helper I used that had that capability. Twar200b or something, wasn't it?

Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:23 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Veteran Op

I thought part of the updating of TWGS was to add some functionality to the game that we have been scripting to make work arounds?

I mean if reserving 1-100 SS channel's is not even being considered then just say it is not gonna happen and we can quit beating a dead horse.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:27 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Veteran Op

Master Blaster wrote:
Ok. This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Subspace crawling is the same as me sitting at my desk listening to others conversations on a Ham radio. Listening to radio frequencies is part of the game. If you want totally secure conversations, then send an email. Or better yet, devise a way to encrypt the messages being sent. I'm sure some scripter can figure out a way to create an encryption method with seed keys and stuff. c'mon, this is Twar! Adding things to the game to offset or change this isn't something that needs any attention.

WAIT A MINUTE! I seem to remember an old helper I used that had that capability. Twar200b or something, wasn't it?

Good luck then. If you use any scripts that report results over sub space, you might want to consider getting somone to fix them for you so that they don't do that. Otherwise you will probably find someone eavesdropping on your conversations. More than likely you are a non-script user and this doesn't effect you at all.

Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:30 pm
Gameop

Ok, I am NOT a scripter like you are a scripter but making an encryption code for the reports being sent over subspace wouldn't be that difficult. Then the information being passed would be impossible to read without the seed code. It would just be gibberish.

If you want to use subspace radio for this purpose, then you need to accept that plain language information can and will be intercepted and used by your foes. that's just part of war. The subspace radio was meant for interhuman interaction, not for your secondary use as a data pipe. You want to protect the information, then encrypt it oh massive script writer.

Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:43 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Veteran Op

Master Blaster wrote:
Ok, I am NOT a scripter like you are a scripter but making an encryption code for the reports being sent over subspace wouldn't be that difficult. Then the information being passed would be impossible to read without the seed code. It would just be gibberish.

If you want to use subspace radio for this purpose, then you need to accept that plain language information can and will be intercepted and used by your foes. that's just part of war. The subspace radio was meant for interhuman interaction, not for your secondary use as a data pipe. You want to protect the information, then encrypt it oh massive script writer.

That's already been done plus some. So the scripters are way ahead of you on that one, oh massive non script writer.

Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:55 pm
Site Admin

I didn't say I wouldn't do it. I'm just still considering the options and implications.

If I made it possible to have private subspace channels, wouldn't that require these older scripts to be rewritten entirely? If so, how does that help?

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:59 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

John Pritchett wrote:
I didn't say I wouldn't do it. I'm just still considering the options and implications.

If I made it possible to have private subspace channels, wouldn't that require these older scripts to be rewritten entirely? If so, how does that help?

The only scripts that I can see that it would effect would be the sub space crawlers themselves, or the scripts used to prevent sub space crawling, which neither would be needed any longer if this change were made.

Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:02 pm
Ambassador

John Pritchett wrote:

The scripts read the ss channel from cn4. No scripts will break.

H

I had to ask myself WWSGD?

Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next