View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Before Next Release 
Commander

Unread post Before Next Release
Since this was brought up before .. and several releases have gone by.

This has not come to lite , yet many other things have been added or changed.

What I'm talking about here is the Sub-space channel assignments for corp channels.

Channels 1 through 100 for corps 1 through 100
anyone off a corp or drops a corp go to channel zero
Like at start of your player initialize game player account.

You can still use > 100 , but the use of sub-space scanners would be completely
removed from game.

There was talk about this .. but nothing has changed except other things.

Any chance that will happen soon ?

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Ka Pla

Winners of Gridwars 2010
MBN Fall Tournament 2011 winners Team Kraaken
Undisputed Champions of 2019 HHT Just for showing up!

The Oldist , Longist Running , Orginal Registered Owner of a TWGS server :
Vids World On Guam

Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:47 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Unread post Re: Before Next Release
I just haven't reached a decision on it yet. It's still on the table.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:46 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

SS hunting has really kind of grown out of hand these days. I've got stuff that automatically resets everyone hourly, now, but man that's just a needless PITA.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:15 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Ambassador

IMO, it would not be a good thing for the game to make changes that facilitate botting, which unique, corp only accessible, ss channels would do.

Sing has a good workaround the present ss scanners but it is not 100% secure.

Underlying everything is the problem that Sing, Vid and a few others have frequently mentioned. Changes (any changes) are very simple for script writers to deal with and just play into their hands.

For some (I am one), it is at least as much fun writing or changing a script to deal with a new setup as it is to play.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:46 am
Ambassador

Kavanagh wrote:
IMO, it would not be a good thing for the game to make changes that facilitate botting, which unique, corp only accessible, ss channels would do.

I agree with that.

I'm very curious why this type of information isn't being encryped by the scripters before being sent over subspace anyway. The only thing I would transmit unencrypted over subspace would be misinformation.

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:20 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Site Admin

I considered offering an option to send encrypted Subspace messages for a small fee, but yeah, scripters can just do that themselves so they wouldn't be subject to the fee. And if all subspace is just encrypted, why not just have private subspace channels.

The original point of this was that it was possible for someone to happen upon your Subspace channel and eavesdrop to find out info about your Corp. It was supposed to be rare but possible, making Subspace use somewhat dangerous. With scripting, it's no longer rare. Scanners will find you if you're using it. And advanced players no longer need to use Subspace at all. They can use external messagers or their own direct connections between their clients. So the feature is entirely broken down.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:54 am
Profile WWW
Commander

I was only asking this cause it was something J.P. said he may put into TWGS to help the non scripter who uses Rammers Team SDT or some other sub-space spamming script that the user has no control of stopping all the messages that make it easy for us scripters to find their sub-space and put a hurt on them later in game.

My team has asked me to stop development on these types of scripts cause they feel even though they have been used on us it is unethical.

I agree in short and feel its better if sub-space was broken down like
J.P. had suggested months ago.

I have no problem in going back to development , even a SS changer changing every hour makes finding said SS easier each change.

The bad thing though is that those who use public scripts can not do anything about the output those scripts produce that is out of their control.

This is just better for those who come back and may consider playing in a large corp sized game in the future.

I think before changes are made to TWGS .. those who program it should spend time playing it to see how it actually works in real time against real players.

Those who come back to it and only recall the way it was and want to play the way it was should break out that 56k baud modem and go to town and see how fun it is against the real world of internet speeds.

You too may want the 21st century internet and stuff in this new world.
Stepping back is not always a good thing.

And I'm sure how many of you guys are capable of sending and receiving a qss encrypted in a script to determine game info.

One slip of "/" and its game over.

This change is good for all non scripters as well as those who script , bots have nothing to do with this .. most have private hail systems .. public scripts dont.

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Winners of Gridwars 2010

Vids World On Guam

Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:50 pm
Profile WWW
Commander

I'm sorry for the rant , my apologies to all.

There is no need for any change here since most players will be playing on private servers or in small games anyways.
This is all moot till a big game comes around again ... if at all.

Again my apologies.

Vid out

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Winners of Gridwars 2010

Vids World On Guam

Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:59 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

Bots aren't the major benefactor of private SS channels. I can send all of my commands via private hail, bots don't require SS. Private SS channels help level the field a little between script writers and public script users, that's all. Common scripts like saveme, pgrid, etc, all would benefit from it some.

It does next to nothing for manual players, but we've spent a lot of time providing features for players we'll rarely ever see... how about we provide something for the bulk of players that actually post here?

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:41 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Veteran Op

Kavanagh wrote:

Sing has a good workaround the present ss scanners but it is not 100% secure.

Just about all scripters have a work around. It's the non-scripters that will take a beating if it isn't changed.

Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:16 am
Site Admin

Ops should just specify that this tactic is not allowed on their servers. Or you guys should play private games where you can guarantee that everyone follows your rules. Unfortunately, you can't control what goes on in public games. There seems to be a philosophy that anything that can be done is fair game. It's unfortunate.

What would be awesome is if the community could reach an agreement about what's best for the game and self-regulate. This tactic is clearly bad for the game. So are others that you guys champion. At some point the community has to do what's best for the game, not just for each player, or for a particular group of players.

Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:21 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

Trying to have rules that cannot be enforced is the problem. Not the rules themselves.

H

I had to ask myself WWSGD?

Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:37 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

Helix wrote:
Trying to have rules that cannot be enforced is the problem. Not the rules themselves.

H

Quite correct. If a GameOp makes a rule, and can't enfore it then the GameOp is the one that get's bashed in the forums.

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:44 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Site Admin

But is it even possible to enforce very rule? Anytime you have a game on the net, it becomes almost impossible to enforce the rules. I can add a rule to the game, but if the attitude prevails, someone (or lots of people) will find a way around it. There needs to be some responsibility among the community. And bashing the ops in the forum for having rules is not the way to keep this game alive. Bashing the players who break those rules when they're found out, that's a start.

Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:04 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

John Pritchett wrote:
But is it even possible to enforce very rule? Anytime you have a game on the net, it becomes almost impossible to enforce the rules. I can add a rule to the game, but if the attitude prevails, someone (or lots of people) will find a way around it. There needs to be some responsibility among the community. And bashing the ops in the forum for having rules is not the way to keep this game alive. Bashing the players who break those rules when they're found out, that's a start.

John,

If the game allows it, and the log doesn't log it, how would an op enforce it? Truce rules are a good example.

H

I had to ask myself WWSGD?

Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:09 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next