View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 RP's Observations 
Gameop

Unread post RP's Observations
I just wanted to put this out there:

Moved my .twa files from the V1 server to the V2 server and banged the games.
Games banged MUCH slower on the V2 than on V1, but I don't really mind this I guess as I don't have to take down the server on V2 to bang them.
V2 computer is about the same setup, but only has TWGS running, nothing else, and has a slightly faster P4 processor.

http://www.twsubspace.com <-- Expired
Teamspeak 3 50.23.212.53:4196 <-- Expired
Just a has been now.

Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:59 am
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

Unread post Re: RP's Observations
Check the CPU usage that Bingbang uses, i thought default was 80%. In the command center it is under Shell Settings.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:50 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Site Admin

Right, it's purposefully throttling back on CPU use so your players can still play. That's important now that you can bang while the server is online. If you don't have anyone active, set it to 100% and see how that goes. I will also say that there will be some slowdown because of some changes in how the universe is banged. It defaults to a setting to automatically set a maximum course length based on the true max length of the generated map, and that takes some time. Overall, I think it's about the same in terms of real efficiency. I didn't make any major optimizations or changes to bigbang's core code.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:15 pm
Profile WWW
Gameop

John Pritchett wrote:
Right, it's purposefully throttling back on CPU use so your players can still play. That's important now that you can bang while the server is online. If you don't have anyone active, set it to 100% and see how that goes. I will also say that there will be some slowdown because of some changes in how the universe is banged. It defaults to a setting to automatically set a maximum course length based on the true max length of the generated map, and that takes some time. Overall, I think it's about the same in terms of real efficiency. I didn't make any major optimizations or changes to bigbang's core code.

I understand, and I don't really mind it a bit as you can bang without shutting down. It's a very fair, and worthwhile tradeoff.

I've not yet tried it, but several sites including my own post the game status directly from the game such as: http://runawayproton.dyndns.org:88/twws/twstats.cgi?twj and I wonder if there are any changes that may affect how this data is pulled. I'm sure it can be overcome, and maybe we need to pull new data that wasn't previously pulled, but I like having this capability.

http://www.twsubspace.com <-- Expired
Teamspeak 3 50.23.212.53:4196 <-- Expired
Just a has been now.

Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:57 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I've expanded on that a bit. There are new settings in there. I'm also generating a variation of that in xml from the main TWGS menu. Hit $ and you can get a dump of all of the info about games in xml format.

You can still force TW to generate the stats output by calling TW2002.EXE COMMAND=STATS. I think it's always been generated in the [GAME]\Output\ directory.

Other than that, I think it's the same.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:00 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]