View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Times Blown Up 
Ambassador

Unread post Re: Times Blown Up
John Pritchett wrote:
I didn't yet put in any kind of message saying "you've been blown up X times. You can only be blown up Y more times." I'd like to do that. It won't impact scripts adding a line of text like that, I hope.

That will be very nice to see, but if you don't have time to add it before the tourney I think we'd still like to play the FIRE game with the fixed death limit.

No pressure John. :)

BOTE 1998 Champs: Team Fament
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team
HHT 2018 Champs: Rock Stars
Big Game 2019 Champs: Draft Team

Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://crunchers-twgs.com:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/4dja5Z8
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW

Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:10 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Admin

I haven't posted it on the beta server yet. I might get it on there today.

Comet, I'll add a toggle so the behavior can be kept like it is today, even though I'm convinced now that was a bug.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:13 am
Profile WWW
Sergeant

I thought this topic was for times blown up, so pardon me if I go back to that. I have an idea, or opinion. Why not set the times blown up or times dead as a different limit. To me if your ship gets destroyed you have lost a ship or what I would call an LS. If you have lost a ship you have not died. If you have lost a pod or scout ship then you are out of the game for the day, that is a dead player or player death called an SD. To me those are to different things. Why not have the tourneys set up where they can count either as set by the sysop? If you want a player death limit then the player actually has to die and be out of the game until extern. Whether its a death by his pod getting blown up, or his scout ship being destroyed or any other podless ship, or a death by being murdered at stardock...that would be a death. If you want a ship destroyed limit then all the player has to do is have his ship destroyed a certain amount of times whether he gets podded and goes into another ship or not. He lives the rest of the day, but his ship was destroyed. I see these two things as two different things and should be two different limits. That's my two cents for what it is worth.

Last edited by -=shadow=- on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Veteran Op

-=shadow=- wrote:
I thought this topic was for times blown up, so pardon me if I go back to that. I have an idea, or opinion. What not set the times blown up or times dead as a different limit. To me if your ship gets destroyed you have lost a ship or what I would call an LS. If you have lost a ship you have not died. If you have lost a pod or scout ship then you are out of the game for the day, that is a dead player or player death called an SD. To me those are to different things. Why not have the tourneys set up where they can count either as set by the sysop? If you want a player death limit then the player actually has to die and be out of the game until extern. Whether its a death by his pod getting blown up, or his scout ship being destroyed or any other podless ship, or a death by being murdered at stardock...that would be a death. If you want a ship destroyed limit then all the player has to do is have his ship destroyed a certain amount of times whether he gets podded and goes into another ship or not. He lives the rest of the day, but his ship was destroyed. I see these two things as two different things and should be two different limits. That's my two cents for what it is worth.

This is from a few posts back, we were discussing 2 different items.
T0yman wrote:
Seems were talking around all the same stuff:

1) Times Blown Up
2) Times Ship Destroyed

So I guess if those 2 different option's were available would that meet the masses on expectations of the way a tournament/game could be configured?

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:50 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Sergeant

And of course there is an option for a time limit if the limit of times blown up or deaths were not met. However, why not fix one before coding for all the rest? Personally I like the ship destroyed limit, but if you have an actual death limit you could avoid a stalemate situation by not worrying about times your ship was destroyed. I heard the last tourney ended in a stalemate. Were you on one of those teams Toyman?

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:28 pm
Veteran Op

-=shadow=- wrote:
And of course there is an option for a time limit if the limit of times blown up or deaths were not met. However, why not fix one before coding for all the rest? Personally I like the ship destroyed limit, but if you have an actual death limit you could avoid a stalemate situation by not worrying about times your ship was destroyed. I heard the last tourney ended in a stalemate. Were you on one of those teams Toyman?

Can of Worms :lol:
We were playing, and our team fought to the bitter end. After that I can't say what happened.

That is what prompted this to be fixed, some people went over the limit. We knew it was a possibility, but just something some of us thought it needed to be fixed.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:12 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Site Admin

Ok, so the "times blown up", which I understand to mean "times you lose a ship", is working now. But let's talk about how the "times killed" should work, and how it was working in v1.03 and is working in the current release. How do I need to change that to make it work? What were players able to do to get around it?

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:29 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

John Pritchett wrote:
Ok, so the "times blown up", which I understand to mean "times you lose a ship", is working now. But let's talk about how the "times killed" should work, and how it was working in v1.03 and is working in the current release. How do I need to change that to make it work? What were players able to do to get around it?

If you hit the death limit you could still take 2 pods per day. You had to be #SD# after hitting the Death Limit for it to work.

H

I had to ask myself WWSGD?

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:36 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

If that's how it was working, then that's how you'd expect a "death limit" to work. So having a toggle on how it was working and the new way it is working should support both kinds of limits. So I think this is ready.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:41 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

John Pritchett wrote:
If that's how it was working, then that's how you'd expect a "death limit" to work. So having a toggle on how it was working and the new way it is working should support both kinds of limits. So I think this is ready.

Actually, a "death limit" should only count when your pod is destroyed, but nobody is asking for that as it would take too long. Unless you set the "death limit" really low.

What about kills?

How about a goal of destroying x ships to win a tourn?

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:07 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Commander

Helix wrote:
John Pritchett wrote:

If you hit the death limit you could still take 2 pods per day. You had to be #SD# after hitting the Death Limit for it to work.

H

Ship lost should be one count
while I think the death limit should only count #SD#
then when tourney mode true
and if death limit is set , it would have to be set real low to
give way for a reasonable time for game to end.
If a combo of both these limits were used
then there would be better control.
Say : Max Ship Lost = 15 or Deaths , #SD# = 4
Now if one of either is met .. that player is out.

just a thought

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Ka Pla

Winners of Gridwars 2010
MBN Fall Tournament 2011 winners Team Kraaken
Undisputed Champions of 2019 HHT Just for showing up!

The Oldist , Longist Running , Orginal Registered Owner of a TWGS server :
Vids World On Guam

Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:18 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

That does sound very flexible. I like it.

Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:55 pm
Profile WWW
Gameop

Vid Kid wrote:
Ship lost should be one count
while I think the death limit should only count #SD#
then when tourney mode true
and if death limit is set , it would have to be set real low to
give way for a reasonable time for game to end.
If a combo of both these limits were used
then there would be better control.
Say : Max Ship Lost = 15 or Deaths , #SD# = 4
Now if one of either is met .. that player is out.

just a thought

John Pritchett wrote:
That does sound very flexible. I like it.

I like it!

http://www.twsubspace.com <-- Expired
Teamspeak 3 50.23.212.53:4196 <-- Expired
Just a has been now.

Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:50 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

Password? *******
Sorry, you have been blown up too many times and are
now out of the tournament!
[Pause]

In the sandbox game, C on twgs.classictw.com

Tourney mode set yes, times blown up set to 9, death delay set to no, I attacked Sol in a scout, and when I tried to come back in, I got the above message. Need some more testing... Toy?

I tried with 8 times blown up for 9 I got a pod, like normal, for 10 no pod, then the above message when I tried to get back after 10.

H

I had to ask myself WWSGD?

Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:35 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Ok, I really liked the idea of supporting both caps, one on deaths and one on lost ships, but when I looked at implementing it, there are too many changes and I hate to shake up the code that much. An easier approach is to allow two modes; "Pods and Deaths" and "Deaths Only".

The original behavior would be "Pods and Deaths", where the game keeps track of every time the player is killed in any way, or podded. The only difference between this mode and the original mode is that you can't be podded when you reach your max pod/death count. You'll just be #SD# and out of the game.

"Deaths Only" is a new mode that just tracks the number of times you're killed, whether it's in ship combat, being destroyed on a planet or port, murdered at StarDock, CBY or whatever. So the difference between this and the original mode is that getting podded won't count toward your limit.

The original mode was kind of a combination of these two modes. There was a limit on the number of times you could be podded or killed, but when you reached that limit, you'd only get locked out when you got killed. That was a bug and really doesn't make a lot of sense.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:39 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next