View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Times Blown Up 
Gameop

Unread post Re: Times Blown Up
Sounds reasonable.

http://www.twsubspace.com <-- Expired
Teamspeak 3 50.23.212.53:4196 <-- Expired
Just a has been now.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:56 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

Helix wrote:
Tourney mode set yes, times blown up set to 9, death delay set to no, I attacked Sol in a scout, and when I tried to come back in, I got the above message. Need some more testing... Toy?

I tried with 8 times blown up for 9 I got a pod, like normal, for 10 no pod, then the above message when I tried to get back after 10.

H

Nope it you say it is working I am good with it. Now I hope it is ready prior to the butt whooping you will handed in the up coming tournament.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:58 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Site Admin

I should have something ready to release tonight or tomorrow. I guess it's best to just get an update out there so people have some time to spot any issues before the tournament. I'm not getting a lot of activity on the beta server, so unfortunately I have to rely on live games for real testing :(

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
Gameop

John Pritchett wrote:
I should have something ready to release tonight or tomorrow. I guess it's best to just get an update out there so people have some time to spot any issues before the tournament. I'm not getting a lot of activity on the beta server, so unfortunately I have to rely on live games for real testing :(

I have a question JP
If you release 2.17, and lets say (I don't expect) that we find it isn't playable for the tournament. Can I back up and reinstall 2.16 if you don't get 2.18 released in time for a proper shakedown?
Feb 1 is coming along quickly.

Just a has been now.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:07 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

Lets not play what if... and go from there.

H

I had to ask myself WWSGD?

Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:13 pm
Profile WWW
Gameop

T0yman wrote:
Nope it you say it is working I am good with it. Now I hope it is ready prior to the butt whooping you will handed in the up coming tournament.

Is that supposed to read
*butt whooping you will be handed
or
*butt whooping you will hand out?

Just a has been now.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:19 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

If I put out a quick update after v2.17, it'll just be a bug fix. So I would think it would be better to go with that than go back to v2.16.

I talked to Helix about maybe planning to put a hold on the tournament if it starts and then we see some major issue. I'd make it top priority to fix whatever it is and get an update out asap to keep the tournament rolling. Since it's v2, we should be able to eliminate any serious bugs as we find them, if I can get a fix out in a day's turn-around. I don't anticipate anything major, but maybe we find that a script got broken or something. It'd be easy to fix it and then continue on with the tournament.

The main changes between v2.16 and v2.17 are 1) new tournament death/pod count, and 2) fix to bugs related to moving a planet with another online player on the planet. A lot of work has gone on related to Botlink, but Botlink is a seperate program so it shouldn't effect the game much.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:19 pm
Profile WWW
Gameop

Sounds good.
I'm just always trying to think several steps ahead.

Just a has been now.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:22 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

It's always possible new bugs will appear in new releases, but it's good to keep moving forward toward more stable versions. The planet movement bugs are pretty serious, for example, and are worth having fixed for this tournament. You don't want players dropping off of planets.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:27 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

John Pritchett wrote:
The main changes between v2.16 and v2.17 are 1) new tournament death/pod count, and 2) fix to bugs related to moving a planet with another online player on the planet. A lot of work has gone on related to Botlink, but Botlink is a seperate program so it shouldn't effect the game much.

We are testing daily on my server and I know RP is running a test game for the upcoming tournament. We will try all settings and provide any feedback necessary to make this a success.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:40 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Commander

Testing on 2.17

Set to tourney mode YES
Lock-out : death only
Max death :10
Death delay off

Times Blown Up : 1

This was after 2 ship losses and the #SD# in a pod carrying ship.
making a total of 3 ship losses but only 1 death count.

The new twgs 2.17
has settings of :

U> Lock-out Mode : Deaths Only <T> Max Pod and/or Death Count: 10

or

<U> Lock-out Mode : Pods & Deaths <T> Max Pod and/or Death Count: 10

So if Deaths only set .. deaths only count in Times Blown Up in the player Info screen.

If a tourney was set to that only (Death Only) that the ships be tailored to fewer pod carrying ships.
If the game were to be Pod & Deaths , then leave edit alone but make the
<T> Max Pod and/or Death Count: a bit higher , say 15.

Just my thoughts after this testing and that there is no way to set each separately.

I'm not complaining , with the TWGS doing what it does so well this is a perfect balance in the way it works.
As long as the tourney committee keeps the above suggestions in mind with the edit.

I'll have to wait for mid night on the test server to finish the testing , but I suspect
things will go as expected and we are near completion and ready for release
so the masses can get in and actively test it out.

Vid Kid/CareTaker

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Ka Pla

Winners of Gridwars 2010
MBN Fall Tournament 2011 winners Team Kraaken
Undisputed Champions of 2019 HHT Just for showing up!

The Oldist , Longist Running , Orginal Registered Owner of a TWGS server :
Vids World On Guam

Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:12 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Honestly, I think the thing that most concerned me about adding support for two separate tallies is the S screen output. I don't have room to list two different counts. But if I separated the tournament settings out into a separate screen, after the main screen and the second screen with report settings, delays and IO emulation, then I'd have plenty of room. It would add a third screen to the S display, though, which might create problems.

Aside from that, I guess it wouldn't be that messy. As long as I could just tally Deaths and Pods as twseparatete numbers with their own independent maximums. It is very different from the original "max times blown up", but not that much of a change in code. What seemed like too big a change for me was tracking "deaths" and "ships lost" as two different tallies. "Ships lost" is a different count than "pods", and not as easy to isolate in the existing code.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:38 am
Profile WWW
Commander

Do not mistake what I said ..
I said the way it is now just takes a little consideration on the side of
those setting up the event.

In the way you have posted and set things in TWGS is great
because it leave backward compatibility and no need for changes
in players thinking or wordings.

Leave it as it is now (my last testing) , as soon as the server is back up
I do plan to finish the test. I have not reached the limit and want to finish it.

Oh , as for my math .. it will take another day .. mid night .. I forgot about that
... but since the test counting at this point has been right on spot
I do not for see a problem.

Vid

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Ka Pla

Winners of Gridwars 2010
MBN Fall Tournament 2011 winners Team Kraaken
Undisputed Champions of 2019 HHT Just for showing up!

The Oldist , Longist Running , Orginal Registered Owner of a TWGS server :
Vids World On Guam

Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:21 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Ok, Vid. I agree with you, this approach is the least disruptive while still providing the functionality requested. We'll stop with that for now.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:14 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5