View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:37 pm

Forum rules

This is not an area to debate the pros and cons of proposed features. It is an area for people to suggest new features for either TW or TWGS. I will either add the proposed feature to my planned features list, or explain my reasons for passing on the feature at this time. Features added to the list can be voted on so I can gauge people's interest.

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Internal Points System 
Veteran Op

Unread post Internal Points System
That's one feature I would like to see in the new version. A interstructured points system integrated into the game with a points screen that shows who is currently leading.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:30 am
Site Admin

Unread post Re: Internal Points System
What about having the ability to build a function using various data fields? The function would basically be a weighted sum of one or more data fields. So it could be based on kill count, or credits earned in trade, or various combinations. I could provide a set of possible fields and let the op decide how to generate the score. Over time, I'm sure a few popular scoring systems would emerge, along with their own game styles.

Imagine exploration games where you get credit for being the first to discover a sector. Or alien hunting games where the score is either a count of aliens killed, or using the new bounty option, the total amount of credits earned in alien bounties. Or a builder game where the score is a sum of various assets you've acquired in the game. The point is, there are a lot of possibilities and it may be worthwhile to create an open system than just try to provide a set of predefined functions. Or we could just explore the most obvious ones here.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:11 am
Profile WWW
Ambassador

You should incoporate default formulas for each game preset that best represents that style of play.

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:14 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Site Admin

I think that's true, but I also think that available points systems will drive new game styles that otherwise might not have been played. I'd hate to limit the creativity of gameops to come up with some interesting game styles.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:12 am
Profile WWW
Ambassador

A scoring system would be a very good thing for stalemated games. I like the thought of direct access to records with a pick and choose for what will be scored.

The issue I had with my scoring script it that it takes too long to run and I am not completely sure I addressed all bugs in it - it was not suitable for producing realtime scoring, but that didn't matter since I didn't want to remove the uncertainty of what another corp might have for resources. Another issue is that it was my personal opinion for scoring values.

"A man who has no skills can be taught, a man who has no honor has nothing."

Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:09 pm
Profile ICQ
Ambassador

Prom, I just tried to run your scoring script to see if I could use it for the tornament and it doesn't seem to work with 2.08 :(

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:55 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Ambassador

Micro wrote:
Prom, I just tried to run your scoring script to see if I could use it for the tornament and it doesn't seem to work with 2.08 :(

Really doesn't surprise me with the changes that were made since it was written a long time ago. T-Edit scripts are a pain for some reason. Logically you would not think that they would be any different than a normal script, but they are.

"A man who has no skills can be taught, a man who has no honor has nothing."

Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:53 pm
Profile ICQ
Site Admin

v2.08 was a major Tedit update. It was long overdue. I don't expect many changes to existing menus after this.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:29 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

One of the problem's with some T-Edit scripts is that your making the menu's uniform. I like them uniform but it can cause some minor issues when you change them.

"User editor" is now "User Editor" and a few others minor changes, not a big deal gives me something to do since I don't really play ;) Not many Server side scripts are compiled so not a big deal to fix just takes a little time. Link to the updated version.
http://www.classictw.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=32036

Example: (Maintenance is not uniform with other options and the <Q> - Quit editor, not that I know anyone that triggers off the maintenance ones)
<A> - Aliens Editor <1> - Ship Editor
<F> - Ferrengi Editor <2> - Planet Editor
<G> - General Editor One <3> - Alien Race Editor
<H> - General Editor Two
<I> - General Editor Three Maintenance
<N> - Planet Editor
<P> - Port Editor <D> - Remove derelict spacecraft
<S> - Sector Editor <L> - List current users
<T> - Corporation Editor <C> - Add player to closed game
<U> - User Editor <E> - Repair Gold data
<V> - Ship Editor
<Y> - Emulation Editor
<Z> - Game Timing Editor

<Q> - Quit editor

Trade Wars 2002 Editor (?=Help) [?] :

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:39 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Site Admin

I definitely understand that any change causes problems, and I set out to work with Vid Kid and V'Ger as two test cases to make sure I didn't break scripts, and both of them decided that the changes were useful enough that they'd just adapt. So it's done, and it won't change after this except in extreme cases, and you have much better functionality. And of course anything missing or any bugs you find, let me know and I'll continue to work on it. For example, I just realized that setting player owners is a pain in the neck because you can't enter the player's name, just number, like you know that off the top of your head. And I'm wanting all of the asset editors to support the ability to just key in the number of the record you want to go to at the prompt, the way you key in the sector number at the main game prompt, to simplify the process of jumping from one record to another. Those kinds of changes shouldn't effect scripts, and they add a lot of functionality to the editors.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:38 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]