View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 am

Forum rules

This is not an area to debate the pros and cons of proposed features. It is an area for people to suggest new features for either TW or TWGS. I will either add the proposed feature to my planned features list, or explain my reasons for passing on the feature at this time. Features added to the list can be voted on so I can gauge people's interest.

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Jumpgate 
Sergeant Major

Unread post Jumpgate
It seems like there should be a player use for the Jumpgate, or JP were you already thinking this? Like either something on this web site with a listing, or something you can telnet to?

Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:55 pm
Site Admin

Unread post Re: Jumpgate
Well, the Jumpgate list is basically just a stub at this point. TWGS is plugged into it, but it's not currently passing any game data. That definitely needs to be on the list of features because I do need to get to that at some point. I want to borrow from the well-done work by Micro and Eleq, and I have some goals of my own. My primary goal of the site is to allow players to sort through the many sites and games and locate the games they're most interested in, and also to let gameops know the kinds of games players are most interested in. Also, I'd like to see some kind of lobby where players can request particular kinds of games and gameops can offer to host those games.

I also want to provide end-of-game displays to show player's status in the games, and maybe even throughout the game. That would be a bit more advanced feature, but it's on my wish list.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:02 pm
Profile WWW
Sergeant Major

Oh wow, that sounds really excellent. I think if you can get all players connected to all sysops and talking in one place that's going to be a big deal.

edit -

I wonder if there's some way to do it through facebook. In my mind that seems like the place to accomplish this goal.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:04 pm
Site Admin

I suppose there's no reason there couldn't be some kind of fb app that taps into the Jumpgate data on my servers. Unfortunately, that's not my strength. What I'm doing is a combination of mediawiki and php with a MySql database, and I'm confident I can do a lot with that set of tools.

I'm open to suggestions on how to tap social media for this.

I just need to build it up a little at a time. But there are so many things I'd like to do. If you look at the work I did on the museum, Jumpgate is a much less complex project. If Jumpgate ranks high on the features list here, that'll give me the push I need to get on it.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:26 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

I think jumpgate will become much more vital once we decide on some game style pre-sets.

This will make it easier for both sysops to create balanced games and players to find the style they prefer.

BOTE 1998 Champs: Team Fament
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team
HHT 2018 Champs: Rock Stars
Big Game 2019 Champs: Draft Team

Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://crunchers-twgs.com:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/4dja5Z8
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW

Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:21 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Admin

Yes, definitely. And it'll be a feedback between the two. But I think the biggest hurdle is the trust issue that players don't believe that these sites will have games they're going to enjoy. If we can get to a point where players start to believe that there are fun games out there for them, hopefully we'll see more activity. Who knows. At least this is something to try.

I'm also thinking that providing some support for mobile devices could be a good way to start to draw more people back in. I'd love to see one or two helpers for iPhone, Android, etc.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:37 pm
Profile WWW
Sergeant Major

I am checking on what it takes to make a facebook app. Would php interface with whatever storage scheme you're using for the jumpgate information?

Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:04 am
Site Admin

Sure. Really just about anything could if I provide an http interface. I could receive http input and generate xml output.

Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:20 am
Profile WWW
Sergeant Major

Then I think it's doable as a facebook app. Just FYI....

Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:22 am
Site Admin

Do you think it's a reasonable approach to implement it on my own site first, then look at ways to expose that to a facebook app?

Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:57 pm
Profile WWW
Sergeant Major

I think so but be ready for a bit more work if/when you take Jumpgate to FB. It looks like you'll want a way to share discovery and in-game stories if applicable (apps posting to statuses are annoying as #%!$, I know, but they want that functionality). It needs a canvas page to contain the app. I think that's it--my research was somewhat cursory I'll admit. I wouldn't be shocked if a php app to pull your Jumpgate database info copied verbatim into facebook needs a bit of tweaking.

I haven't done any real code in years.... I don't miss it.... :) hah

Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]