View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 am

Forum rules

This is not an area to debate the pros and cons of proposed features. It is an area for people to suggest new features for either TW or TWGS. I will either add the proposed feature to my planned features list, or explain my reasons for passing on the feature at this time. Features added to the list can be voted on so I can gauge people's interest.

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Make Sol moveable 
Commander

Unread post Make Sol moveable
A lot of sysops move Stardock adjacent to Fedspace. It would be nice if SD could be placed in sector 1, and Sol moved somewhere else.

Edit: Nevermind! Sol's location is not directly editable, but SD can be edited into sector 1, and this causes its location to be switched with Sol.

Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:54 pm
Profile WWW
Commander

Unread post Re: Make Sol moveable
Actually Tera can be moved , I did the test for that when J.P. made the new Tedit menu ..

You can place Dock at sector 1 as well , but what it does is mess up the MSL type of things plus eliminates Sol ...

It will also mess with Swath in the class 0/9 functions as well as red cashing script or a shopper script.

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Ka Pla

Winners of Gridwars 2010
MBN Fall Tournament 2011 winners Team Kraaken
Undisputed Champions of 2019 HHT Just for showing up!

The Oldist , Longist Running , Orginal Registered Owner of a TWGS server :
Vids World On Guam

Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:05 pm
Profile WWW
Commander

Well, it only looks like it works from tedit. If SD is moved to sector 1, when you port & trade at it, you get the class 0 stuff instead of trade goods. Bummer.

So... back to my original suggestion. And make putting SD in sector 1 an option in tedit, so it carries through a rebang.

Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:50 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Yeah, I'm trying to eliminate some of the unexpected consequences of manipulating these special ports and planets. I'll look at swapping SD into sector 1 and clean that up.

Ok, but what about moving Sol... By Sol, you mean the port at sector 1? So put SD near Terra and Sol elsewhere?

How important is it to move Sol? What if moving SD to sector 1 makes Sol the port that's part of SD? Just merge the two? Sol kind of belongs in sector 1.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:41 am
Profile WWW
Commander

John Pritchett wrote:
Ok, but what about moving Sol... By Sol, you mean the port at sector 1? So put SD near Terra and Sol elsewhere?

Exactly. I'd like to be able to put SD at sector 1, since new players start there. I've seen sysops move it into or adjacent to sectors 2-10; now I know why. But it seems like a waste to have another class 0 just a couple hops from SD. Especially in big universes, it would be nice to be able to put that third class 0 somewhere else.

Quote:
What if moving SD to sector 1 makes Sol the port that's part of SD? Just merge the two?

That's what happens now if you move SD to sector 1. You can't sell product to SD anymore; it become a class 0.

Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:04 am
Profile WWW
Ambassador

When there were only 1000 sectors, it made sense to only have 4 class 0 ports. Now that we have 30,000 sectors, wouldn't it make sense to allow up to 100 or so class zero ports, and perhaps more than 1 stardock?

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:08 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Commander

It would be cool if each Gold race had their own SD, and you could buy their ships if you had high enough faction with them. But I don't know how you'd get faction... killing their enemies? Anyway, seems like something for a distant future version.

Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:15 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Merging SD with Sol would basically give you a BBB for Sol, class zero port at SD, plus SD itself.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:37 am
Profile WWW
Gameop

Mongoose wrote:
It would be cool if each Gold race had their own SD, and you could buy their ships if you had high enough faction with them. But I don't know how you'd get faction... killing their enemies? Anyway, seems like something for a distant future version.

I do like this suggestion, however I think that's something to package in version 3 or 4 if JP was willing at all.

http://www.twsubspace.com <-- Expired
Teamspeak 3 50.23.212.53:4196 <-- Expired
Just a has been now.

Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:23 am
Profile WWW
Ambassador

If you are eliminating a refurb port for reds, then it will just make them easier to hunt down. Yes, I am thinking in terms of solo play.

"A man who has no skills can be taught, a man who has no honor has nothing."

Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:28 pm
Profile ICQ
Commander

I agree with Promethius
Moving Dock to adj to position of sector 7 (Tedit slot # 6 for sector 1)
and a way back to fed (sector 10) from dock .
accomplishes another thing in the So_PortFixer sysop script.
And sells Gas (15k as S.G. desided so players could not buy out fuel as fast as it can be generated for a jump out).

So moving Sol movable will only mess up the red self furb scripts that are public.
Best to leave Sol where its at , not to mention MSL can have bad effects with Sol moved.

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Ka Pla

Winners of Gridwars 2010
MBN Fall Tournament 2011 winners Team Kraaken
Undisputed Champions of 2019 HHT Just for showing up!

The Oldist , Longist Running , Orginal Registered Owner of a TWGS server :
Vids World On Guam

Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:06 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Let's be clear here, we're not talking about any kind of permanent change. We're talking about adding an option which would be used by a gameop who, for whatever reason, wanted the kinds of effects that this would have. I don't think it would be a common thing at all.

Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:19 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]