View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 am

Forum rules

This is not an area to debate the pros and cons of proposed features. It is an area for people to suggest new features for either TW or TWGS. I will either add the proposed feature to my planned features list, or explain my reasons for passing on the feature at this time. Features added to the list can be voted on so I can gauge people's interest.

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Setting up Alien planets. 
Gameop

Unread post Setting up Alien planets.
Here's an issue I keep running up against with Version 2

I bang a fresh game, and set it to open at a later time.
I used to then go in and edit my alien planets and such to prepare the game.
With V2 the alien planets don't appear till after the game starts.
I guess I can start the game, then make it inactive, and then schedule the start, but this is a PITA.
Any ideas or help in this department?

http://www.twsubspace.com <-- Expired
Teamspeak 3 50.23.212.53:4196 <-- Expired
Just a has been now.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
Commander

Unread post Re: Setting up Alien planets.
That is what I do , I check mark the disable logins , then open the game for about 20 seconds or so , you can see the busy question mark as each race restarts.

When that all stops I deactivate that game and uncheck mark the disable logins , and Tedit the aliens with the SO_SetAliens script.

Yes , its a bit of a pain but does not stop me.

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Ka Pla

Winners of Gridwars 2010
MBN Fall Tournament 2011 winners Team Kraaken
Undisputed Champions of 2019 HHT Just for showing up!

The Oldist , Longist Running , Orginal Registered Owner of a TWGS server :
Vids World On Guam

Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:38 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

Sorry but this is not V2 specific, it has always been this way atleast as far as I can remember.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:23 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Site Admin

It's something I've given some thought to. One option with the current system is to set a login password so even if the game is online, players can't enter it. Probably the right solution would be to open a game but keep it hidden. Another option might be to keep the game inactive but allow you to run the alien servers. I can definitely see a gameop wanting to have a game fully functional, but hidden from others on his/her server. You can keep players out with a password, but just hiding it would be nice.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:58 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

John Pritchett wrote:
It's something I've given some thought to. One option with the current system is to set a login password so even if the game is online, players can't enter it. Probably the right solution would be to open a game but keep it hidden. Another option might be to keep the game inactive but allow you to run the alien servers. I can definitely see a gameop wanting to have a game fully functional, but hidden from others on his/her server. You can keep players out with a password, but just hiding it would be nice.

I ended up doing that with DESC.ANS, activating the game, messing with it til I was happy then adding the game to the DESC.ANS.

H

I had to ask myself WWSGD?

Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:30 pm
Profile WWW
Gameop

John Pritchett wrote:

All this would take is a setting that when you select a delayed start, it would run the alien serves for about a minute, then deactivate and wait for the desired time.

http://www.twsubspace.com <-- Expired
Teamspeak 3 50.23.212.53:4196 <-- Expired
Just a has been now.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:29 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Yeah, I just think there needs to be a way to have a game fully functional without being available to players. There are a number of ways a gameop might use that kind of feature, not just to initialize an alien race.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:17 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]