View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 pm

Forum rules

1. Each thread must begin with the Tournament Name, date expected to open, host server information, and rules if this information is available.
2. After the tournament officially opens, we will then open the thread to general discussion of the tournament.
3. There will be one thread here per tournament.
4. Members not in the game are allowed to comment on the game, however if this results in arguments that get personal the member NOT playing will be banned from the thread. This can be a temporary or permanent ban.
5. Posts viewed by the admin/moderators of this site as being out of line with the intent of this thread, can be moved or deleted at the moderators discretion.
6. Continued violations of the rules of this thread can result in the temporary or in extreme cases a permanent ban from this thread.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Haunted Halloween 2018 
Commander

Unread post Re: Haunted Halloween 2018
Kane wrote:
Cruncher wrote:
OK, is there any hope for future tournaments?

Or... has the time of the "Bot Wars" finally come to an end and players prefer to be at the keys playing their own turns now?

Why didn't more players turn out or come early to practice?

Probably not, the player base is not what it once was. When was the last tournament that had more then a couple of teams? 10 years ago we had pretty good turnouts, 15 years ago it was even better. I can also remember at those times these very forums and a few others were very busy, now we can go days with out a new reply/topic.

Bot's are nice, I'm not going to get in to the reasons but if nothing else it helps out with the amount of time you really need to be at keys, say you have family things going on, well your team can still cash or command you to colo or whatever they need. If you want to be at keys and use your turns you can set the bot up for that. I really see no downside, other then it somewhat levels the playing field.

I think with HHT the edits have always been unique. The odd little twists can turn people off to it. I'm actually looking forward to play in the Subz tournament. I think it would also be nice to have some big turns games, or even *gasp* some quick paced death matches.

At one time we were trying or did (memory sucks) at trying to get a monthly low turns games going. I think that would be fun to do something like that.

The 2016 Ice tourney hosted by me had 6 corps(around 30 players) that was the last big tourney.

So hope is not lost but i doubt something like that will ever happen again..

sk

Playing with integrity is more important than winning
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
2015 Lottery Tournament Winning Team Member
2016 Big Game Draft Tournament Winning Team Member
HHT 2016 Champs: Cloud09
HHT 2021 Champs(Just For Showing Up)
HHT 2022 Champs(For 90mins of Play)

Star Killer's Ice9 TWGS
Viper's Pit V1 TWGS
Email: starkillerstwgs@yahoo.com
Discord: Star Killer#0358
Ice 9 V2 TWGS: SK-TWGS.COM PORT 2002
Viper's Pit V1 TWGS: V1.SK-TWGS.COM PORT 2002
Now The Fastest TWGS in the West
https://www.facebook.com/StarKillersTradeWars/
To help offset the server(s) hosting bill donate via PayPal to: starkillerstwgs@yahoo.com

Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:40 pm
Profile WWW
Lieutenant J.G.

I didn't play for a few reasons.

time: Not a good time, even this SubZero is a bit early, I liked idea of Jan start, but will still play as I got a crew together.

annoying: HHT edits are annoying and do have some fun sucked out of it. Given I haven't played since the last one, I'd prefer to come back to something a bit more enjoyable.

As far as people playing the edit who made it or even the sysops. No issue there, assuming we all get access to it beforehand you'd have to be blind not to find the easter eggs.

Also this subzero one wiht four corp members makes it easier for people to get corps together.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:26 pm
Lieutenant

Star Killer wrote:
The 2016 Ice tourney hosted by me had 6 corps(around 30 players) that was the last big tourney.

sk

ICE 2016 tourney was a great game. Probably one of my all-time favorites, even though I wasn't on the winning team. ICE 2017 was fun too (and we won that one), but much smaller, I think only three teams and one was out early.

I have no desire to ever play HHT again unless the edits change drastically. The last few times I did play it, the edit was such that it really wasn't any fun unless you had a full-time scripter writing custom scripts. It's not playable otherwise, and frankly, I don't know what Cruncher means by saying "bot wars is over" because all of the HHT edits are designed to require custom scripts due to crippled ships and planets. If anything, ICE is much more playable without bots.

I had a team for ICE 2018 and had to back out at the last minute because half the team either quit tradewars or didn't have the time. I think we are at the point where any tourney requiring more than 4 players is unlikely to occur at all, or if so, won't have more than 2 teams.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:52 pm
Profile ICQ
Lieutenant J.G.

Shadow wrote:

ICE 2016 tourney was a great game. Probably one of my all-time favorites, even though I wasn't on the winning team. ICE 2017 was fun too (and we won that one), but much smaller, I think only three teams and one was out early.

I have no desire to ever play HHT again unless the edits change drastically. The last few times I did play it, the edit was such that it really wasn't any fun unless you had a full-time scripter writing custom scripts. It's not playable otherwise, and frankly, I don't know what Cruncher means by saying "bot wars is over" because all of the HHT edits are designed to require custom scripts due to crippled ships and planets. If anything, ICE is much more playable without bots.

I had a team for ICE 2018 and had to back out at the last minute because half the team either quit tradewars or didn't have the time. I think we are at the point where any tourney requiring more than 4 players is unlikely to occur at all, or if so, won't have more than 2 teams.

I concur with everything Shadow says.

HHT 2017 was actually fun BEFORE the tournament for me as I enjoyed writing the scripts. No surprise the team with three key authors of Mombot plus myself won..

Think 4 person tournaments should be a good experiment..

Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:49 am
Ambassador

Cruncher wrote:
Honestly, SK and Micro did a great job on the edit. Micro really didn't play, he was a bot, didn't give us any clues about the edit. I found the "easter egg" the first day in practice.

I played my turns on Day Zero :)

Seriously though, I don't know how to play. I just like to watch ;)

Xanos is our scripter, and this edit was a LOT of work because of the black holes. Most of your early game scripts think black hole are dead ends, and will run right for them. Xanos also runs the blue half of the team, and handles the more aggressive tasks (i.e. planetary invasions).

Cruncher is our casher, and runs the red half of the team. Let's face it, being red is boring, because your turns are far too valuable to spend on anything other than cashing. Perhaps I will play blue in 2020, but it is a lot more work.

Xanos and I knew about the Black Cat, but we really didn't know much else about the edit Star Killer designed. I did some of the typing for him, but I really don't understand what planets you need to play blue, and the ships are directly from the 2009 edit with very few changes other than the names and the black cat of coarse.

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:52 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Commander

Hammer_2 wrote:
Shadow wrote:

I concur with everything Shadow says.

HHT 2017 was actually fun BEFORE the tournament for me as I enjoyed writing the scripts. No surprise the team with three key authors of Mombot plus myself won..

Think 4 person tournaments should be a good experiment..

I do like the idea of modding this edit for a higher turn game next year. This is Micro's tourney so its up to him... but i might run ice as a higher turn game if i decide to mod the edit.

sk

Star Killer's Ice9 TWGS
Viper's Pit V1 TWGS
To help offset the server(s) hosting bill donate via PayPal to: starkillerstwgs@yahoo.com

Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:05 am
Profile WWW
Ambassador

Shadow wrote:

What I mean by bot wars is that other than day 0, Xanos and I were botting most everyone. it's no fun to play if your teammates have used all your turns. It's no fun being the bot master all the time. With a little training, I did take a night off and Deign botted the cashing team that night. Bud was a fun surprise, we were getting worried because he wasn't showing up to practices, but he's got some mad keyboarding skills. I think only one of his kills was while running citkill, the rest were all him at the keys. Back in the day when Fament was "the" place to play, Bud was 12-14 years old and learned from the best.

So, yes, these edits require a scripter to write custom scripts, we had one that identified the black holes "before" we ran ZTM's. I did see TBH is one of the early practices, I thought for sure he'd be on a team.

BOTE 1998 Champs: Team Fament
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team
HHT 2018 Champs: Rock Stars
Big Game 2019 Champs: Draft Team

Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://crunchers-twgs.com:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/4dja5Z8
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW

Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:44 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Commander

Cruncher wrote:
Shadow wrote:

What I mean by bot wars is that other than day 0, Xanos and I were botting most everyone. it's no fun to play if your teammates have used all your turns. It's no fun being the bot master all the time. With a little training, I did take a night off and Deign botted the cashing team that night. Bud was a fun surprise, we were getting worried because he wasn't showing up to practices, but he's got some mad keyboarding skills. I think only one of his kills was while running citkill, the rest were all him at the keys. Back in the day when Fament was "the" place to play, Bud was 12-14 years old and learned from the best.

So, yes, these edits require a scripter to write custom scripts, we had one that identified the black holes "before" we ran ZTM's. I did see TBH is one of the early practices, I thought for sure he'd be on a team.

We asked TBH to come in early and help us test. I dont think he ever planed on playing
sk

Star Killer's Ice9 TWGS
Viper's Pit V1 TWGS

Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:10 am
Profile WWW
Ambassador

Star Killer wrote:
We asked TBH to come in early and help us test. I dont think he ever planed on playing
sk

Yeah, he told us early on that he wouldn't be able to play because of time restraints.

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:24 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Gameop

Star Killer wrote:

sk

That would have been a lot of fun, I wish I wouldn't have missed it. I would be real fun to have a bigger game like that again. Perhaps one day!

HHT 2020

Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:48 pm
Profile ICQ
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6