View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:53 pm

Forum rules

1. Each thread must begin with the Tournament Name, date expected to open, host server information, and rules if this information is available.
2. After the tournament officially opens, we will then open the thread to general discussion of the tournament.
3. There will be one thread here per tournament.
4. Members not in the game are allowed to comment on the game, however if this results in arguments that get personal the member NOT playing will be banned from the thread. This can be a temporary or permanent ban.
5. Posts viewed by the admin/moderators of this site as being out of line with the intent of this thread, can be moved or deleted at the moderators discretion.
6. Continued violations of the rules of this thread can result in the temporary or in extreme cases a permanent ban from this thread.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 2020 Ice Tournament 
Lieutenant J.G.

Unread post Re: 2020 Ice Tournament
Sorry for big post.

I'll be getting a corp together regardless of the edit.

And yep, not having to edit my moo scripts makes it more appealing to me, purely based on time. I do eventually want to edit them and take on Shadow/Rider's script.

Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:46 pm
Commander

Hammer_2 wrote:
Sorry for big post.

And yep, not having to edit my moo scripts makes it more appealing to me, purely based on time. I do eventually want to edit them and take on Shadow/Rider's script.

Added

sk

Playing with integrity is more important than winning
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
2015 Lottery Tournament Winning Team Member
2016 Big Game Draft Tournament Winning Team Member
HHT 2016 Champs: Cloud09
HHT 2021 Champs(Just For Showing Up)
HHT 2022 Champs(For 90mins of Play)

Star Killer's Ice9 TWGS
Viper's Pit V1 TWGS
Email: starkillerstwgs@yahoo.com
Discord: Star Killer#0358
Ice 9 V2 TWGS: SK-TWGS.COM PORT 2002
Viper's Pit V1 TWGS: V1.SK-TWGS.COM PORT 2002
Now The Fastest TWGS in the West
https://www.facebook.com/StarKillersTradeWars/
To help offset the server(s) hosting bill donate via PayPal to: starkillerstwgs@yahoo.com

Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:19 am
Profile WWW
Lieutenant

Star Killer wrote:
rider2 wrote:
Adapt to what? A game engineered to allow bubble huggers to survive and win on points? No thank you, I've played that game before. You guys enjoy yourself.

Thank You Rider for finely saying it... You guys only want to play a certain style of game. And shadow did say it b4 the the last tourney.

We prefer to play any style of game whatseover other than the one where your corp hides in a bubble, passive grids and runs foton scripts for 30 days. Because that is pretty much what they've been doing for the last 20 years. It is tedious and uninspired and uninteresting, and is basically designed to bore the other team to death or destroy their will to keep living. Hammer, and our group, try new things and find new ways to approach the game. That is what makes it interesting.

Star Killer wrote:
Shadow wrote:
Go hard die young, as the saying goes. My window for success is the first 15 minutes after the game opens.

You guys don't want to play unless you an get a quick win.. That's what all this is about and the rest is crap. I get it. Some people don't like drawn out games..

Yeah, that must be it.

You are still missing the point, so let me help you.

Last year, Hammer beat us in the Christmas Tourney by using a moo script. We had thought about doing moo for a while but never got around to it. That motivated us to build one, which rider built initially and I added many new design features to, as well as automated the entire process. We then used that to win ICE, at which point it was suddenly unacceptable to have planet products because it gave us an unfair advantage.

This summer, Hammer beat us in the big game by probing extensively at startup (along with a horrible start on our part when most of our team didn't show and scripts broke, etc.) We learned from that and adapted the exact same strategy, which led to our win in the Christmas tourney this year (don't even start with the 8 players at this point - probing and data mining was still what got us there.) I am sure you will now decide this is an unfair advantage and ban probes in all future games, or cripple them horribly as to make them unusable like you do in your non tourney games.

What you are seeing is not us "only wanting to win one way", it is us taking on every challenge, learning from defeat and adapting and then finding that whatever we do successfully is no longer allowed because it is "unfair". That, combined with our style in which we do try to win games as fast as possible, hurts the delicate sensibilities of players whose goal is to stalemate a game long enough that maybe they win on points. My opinion on that is that if a game runs until it's over, anyone left should cby in disgrace and there should be no winner declared. Not a points system. Hiding and outlasting is not what TW is about.

Star Killer wrote:
Okay lets move on to the people who may want to play this game.

sk

You mean, move on to the people who want to play your engineered stalemate game as opposed to the people who want to play the actual ICE edit. Got it.

Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:53 am
Profile ICQ
Lieutenant

Hammer_2 wrote:
I actually don't think the stalemate/bubble hugging would have been avoided even with product. I'd already considered what we needed to do about 24 hours before this was announced. I was tossing up if I had time to automate the start up of our moo script to speed things up. Even if we got 30% of the resources to your 70% (ignoring other corps for now), then that's enough to sit in a tholian, block a tunnel.

Yes, the tholian is overpowered in this edit. Always has been.

Hammer_2 wrote:
Only way it's not a stalemate is if you kill/photon a significant portion in first hour.

Yes, that has been part of our strategy in the last several games. I don't disagree. That is the problem with most of these edits.

Hammer_2 wrote:
I'd challenge you your scripts aren't that much better than ours.. with or without product. I could be wrong, I havn't played much lately.

I'd challenge you that you are wrong. No offense of course, but what we have created in the past year exceeds anything I have seen from anyone else in tw, published or unpublished, by a significant amount. The moo script that rider published after the tourney last year was a very early version of the one we use now, which has been heavily optimized using new techniques and different methods to be as fast and efficient as possible.

I've seen your moo script before, a few years ago :) I am sure it's gotten better but it's not even close.

Hammer_2 wrote:
I'd go so much to say we could set up a bubble, lock you out, in a product game, where we didn't moo, AT ALL. Meaning take this edit, put the 1k/1k/1k on and no other changes. (once again asuming IG on Tholian)

It's going to points, short of a miracle/mega screw up.. no matter what..

You're not wrong on this. And this might have been an issue that got fixed, if the community was polled on how to make this game better, instead of a completely arbitrary decision being made by the gameop alone with no input from anyone in the community.

Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:08 am
Profile ICQ
Lieutenant

Hammer_2 wrote:
Sorry for big post.

The real issue here is that this is a significant, material change that is being made without any consultation with anyone in the community except one or two people who play for the same corp as the sysop.

I have a suggestion for the future: we should demand, as players (all of us) that any edits to a tourney be made with full input across the community and should be heard and approved by someone other than the sysop of the game.

Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:15 am
Profile ICQ
Commander

Okay Shadow you've made your point you don't want to play.. lets please save the discussion here for those who do..

thanks...
sk

Star Killer's Ice9 TWGS
Viper's Pit V1 TWGS
To help offset the server(s) hosting bill donate via PayPal to: starkillerstwgs@yahoo.com

Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:24 am
Profile WWW
Lieutenant

Star Killer wrote:
Okay Shadow you've made your point you don't want to play.. lets please save the discussion here for those who do..

thanks...
sk

I never said I didn't want to play, and you know that. I said I wasn't going to play. Those are two different things. I always want to play. I just don't want to participate in a farce that's been modified to favor one particular team.

Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:34 am
Profile ICQ
Commander

Shadow wrote:
Star Killer wrote:

thanks...
sk

I never said I didn't want to play, and you know that. I said I wasn't going to play. Those are two different things. I always want to play. I just don't want to participate in a farce that's been modified to favor one particular team.

Your right Sorry, I should have said you dont want to play this version of the edit.

sk

Star Killer's Ice9 TWGS
Viper's Pit V1 TWGS

Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:53 am
Profile WWW
Chief Warrant Officer

Why is it that every tourney thread, it seems, has these idiotic posts from people who aren't playing in the game.

Is there a way to prevent further posts from these spamming crybabies since, you know, like, they aren't even going to play?

Perhaps these ingrates can get their mommies to run them a game exactly like they want.

Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:00 am
Commander

Well calling him a cry baby doesn't help cause now hes going to have to respond.

sk

Star Killer's Ice9 TWGS
Viper's Pit V1 TWGS

Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:50 am
Profile WWW
Commander

I give up... You win.... The 2020 Ice tournament is Canceled......

I fought this for over 24 hours... and I just can't do it anymore.. I lose you all win...

sk

Star Killer's Ice9 TWGS
Viper's Pit V1 TWGS

Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:57 am
Profile WWW
Chief Warrant Officer

Star Killer wrote:

I fought this for over 24 hours... and I just can't do it anymore.. I lose you all win...

sk

You would be surprised what you can or cannot do. I once worked 112 hours in a single week. And I wasn't doing low effort sit around do nothing work like Shadow does where I could sit around at work and bot my whole corp every morning.

I hope you reconsider as it appears there will be at least two teams that want to participate.

Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:48 am
Lieutenant J.G.

Star Killer wrote:

sk

Sorry to hear that!

We've all turned into old people who whinge to much, I know. Apologies for clogging up this thread.. but not much happens in tradewars so complaining is about all we got left now lol

Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:52 am
Lieutenant

prestone2 wrote:
You would be surprised what you can or cannot do. I once worked 112 hours in a single week. And I wasn't doing low effort sit around do nothing work like Shadow does where I could sit around at work and bot my whole corp every morning.

I hope you reconsider as it appears there will be at least two teams that want to participate.

You know nothing about me, or anything else for that matter. I am a senior executive in a publicly traded software company, reporting to the CEO. I give my status reports to the board on wall street on a quarterly basis. I work an average of probably 80 hours a week, every week, and fly 150,000 miles a year to visit my staff in my company's offices on four continents.

And every single member of my corp shows up and plays their turns every day.

Nice try, though.

Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:07 am
Profile ICQ
Lieutenant

prestone2 wrote:
Why is it that every tourney thread, it seems, has these idiotic posts from people who aren't playing in the game.

Is there a way to prevent further posts from these spamming crybabies since, you know, like, they aren't even going to play?

Perhaps these ingrates can get their mommies to run them a game exactly like they want.

I'm pretty sure this whole thing started because the ingrates asked their daddy SK to change the tourney so it wouldn't be so hard for them because the big bad man shadow and his planet script hurt them in the last tourney. Show us where it hurt you, prestone.

Also, I am pretty sure you aren't playing in the game, because there is no way you are going to find five other people to play with you after you booted a corpie from the corp, killed him and called him a "faggot" in the game announcements last time -- all because he made an innocent mistake with a planet.

For those who missed that:

Quote:
-- 12/31/47 -- 07:55:16 PM --
. launched a Photon Missile somewhere!
-- 12/31/47 -- 09:40:00 PM --
Jolly Festive-Fingers was blasted by a Quasar Cannon!
-- 12/31/47 -- 09:40:30 PM --
. was blasted by a Quasar Cannon!
-- 12/31/47 -- 09:43:07 PM --
. was defeated invading .!
-- 12/31/47 -- 09:46:27 PM --
. removed Ny Jets from Corp#3.
-- 12/31/47 -- 09:46:33 PM --
. DESTROYED Ny Jets's Snowball Fight!
-- 12/31/47 -- 09:46:38 PM --
. DESTROYED Ny Jets's Escape Pod!
"This is gonna bring you some serious bad karma, .", yells Ny Jets.
-- 12/31/47 -- 09:48:20 PM --
. posted this universal announcement:
fuck1ng faggot

Last edited by Shadow on Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:09 am
Profile ICQ
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next