View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:35 pm

Forum rules

In game or game related smack only. Any foul language or topics that are non-game related will be dealt with by the forum moderator. If at any point this forum gets out of hand or in someway effects the games community this forum will be closed.

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 I'm Confused.. 
Civilian

Unread post I'm Confused..
I Played this game in the 90's. Decided recently to try and get back into it...the part I'm confused about is Why there are SO MANY games that have 1 player in them duping and no other player and it's virtually impossible to get into them of course. My question is,why would a player make THE whole game inaccessible to anyone else? How is this fun for them playing alone or any others wanting to play? And why do so many Sysops let the games run like this? Viper's Pit run by Starkiller literally has 1 playing "the same guy" in every game and he's taken over it completely keeping all other player out? why would you run so many games for this 1 single player? I have found alot of other games like this also, help me understand because it's seeming like this game isn't worth picking up again just because the community is very lacking and there are people like this locking out anyone from playing.

Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:02 pm
Boo! inc.

Unread post Re: I'm Confused..
Really in the end it is all about winning, right? any time I join an unlimited turn game I play it like it is a deathmatch and hopefully only going to last 1 night.. if no one shows up until day 2 or 3 I can easily kill them and not have to worry about what they are doing to me while I am not at keys. I also gave everything I had to a player recently around day 3 or 4 in a subzero edit unlimited because I just do not have time to devote to it, and would rather give it to someone else that does. In the last few years though it seems that even in a low turn rebang of a popular edit on a popular server the key is to be there right when it opens or else you may not be "allowed" in by whoever was there on time. I agree this is not the same style game that we played in the 90's but I also do not want to be the king of Sht mountain day 1 and get killed while afk on day 3 and have to hear about how awesome someone is on the forums for beating me. I like 1 night games because I do not have time to devote to anything more.. I also like the idea (I do not play in them) the builder games on a couple servers including Star Killers server that you referenced that allows real building and game play without full time at key time.

Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:28 pm
Profile ICQ
Lieutenant J.G.

Pretty much what Loc said.

Game selection is the key - on SK's server it's unregulated games I assume people are going to play to win. It's a war game, you win war games by controlling the field of play, and you do that via dropping figs.

You just can't win a competitive game by turning up late. If I do play a casual game, you've turned up 4 hours late, and you can move about easily. It probably means I've probed, going to let you build a base, and I'll know where you are to a level of certainty that you are already dead.

I highly suggest you go to Crunchers server:
Cruncherstw.no-ip.biz
it's set up to ease returning players into the game. There are also games designed to keep grid muppets like me out from ruining your day :)
i.e. low turns, can't be online 24/7, you won't get instantly photoned by a pdrop script.

Also, if you don't have it you should consider Discord, and join her server. Lots of friendly discussion and help there.. I don't have a link but sure she can provide

Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:04 pm
Commander

I feel i must weigh in here also...

As when I spoke to you via email, I told you that Viper's Pit(My V1 server) Was totally unregulated. and that if you where not a scriptor and did not get in on day one you would not have chance.

I also suggested you try my V2 server(sk-twgs.com Port 2002) where there are many games with rules.

You mentioned the word Dupe in your post. A player playing multiple games on the same server is not a Dupe. Its only when a player tires to run multiple players in the game that is duping. Both of my servers run software to prevent this(tho I grant you this is getting hard and harder to do)

but if you really want to return on my V2 or on Crunchers I would be happy to help you get started any way I can.

sk

Playing with integrity is more important than winning
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
2015 Lottery Tournament Winning Team Member
2016 Big Game Draft Tournament Winning Team Member
HHT 2016 Champs: Cloud09
HHT 2021 Champs(Just For Showing Up)
HHT 2022 Champs(For 90mins of Play)

Star Killer's Ice9 TWGS
Viper's Pit V1 TWGS
Email: starkillerstwgs@yahoo.com
Discord: Star Killer#0358
Ice 9 V2 TWGS: SK-TWGS.COM PORT 2002
Viper's Pit V1 TWGS: V1.SK-TWGS.COM PORT 2002
Now The Fastest TWGS in the West
https://www.facebook.com/StarKillersTradeWars/
To help offset the server(s) hosting bill donate via PayPal to: starkillerstwgs@yahoo.com

Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:35 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

KiloGem wrote:
I Played this game in the 90's. Decided recently to try and get back into it...the part I'm confused about is Why there are SO MANY games that have 1 player in them duping and no other player and it's virtually impossible to get into them of course. My question is,why would a player make THE whole game inaccessible to anyone else? How is this fun for them playing alone or any others wanting to play? And why do so many Sysops let the games run like this? Viper's Pit run by Starkiller literally has 1 playing "the same guy" in every game and he's taken over it completely keeping all other player out? why would you run so many games for this 1 single player? I have found alot of other games like this also, help me understand because it's seeming like this game isn't worth picking up again just because the community is very lacking and there are people like this locking out anyone from playing.

Keep an eye on new game resets and try to get in from the start. I do try to give players a week's notice before I open a game. In my sig you'll see all my server contact info, Discord server is where most hang out now, I also have a FB page and a blog.

Then there's Microblaster.net that lists all current servers. Lots to choose from but unless you're starting in a regulated game on Star Killer's server, you best be in at the start.

Happy Trading!

BOTE 1998 Champs: Team Fament
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team
HHT 2018 Champs: Rock Stars
Big Game 2019 Champs: Draft Team

Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://crunchers-twgs.com:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/4dja5Z8
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW

Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:14 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]