View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:04 pm

Forum rules

In game or game related smack only. Any foul language or topics that are non-game related will be dealt with by the forum moderator. If at any point this forum gets out of hand or in someway effects the games community this forum will be closed.

Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Official ICE 2020 Smack 
Ambassador

Unread post Official ICE 2020 Smack
I don't really have anything to say, except let's keep the tournament thread clean. Some of the posts in there are borderline smack.

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:51 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Ambassador

Unread post Re: Official ICE 2020 Smack
Shadow wrote:
Star Killer wrote:
Cruncher wrote:
At least we didn't CBY out because we had a rough start. We hung in and made the best of it. No one #SD# so that's a great start! :)

This is why there is a points system in this tourney and all tourneys should have one.

sk

Oh please tell me you're kidding.

Point systems are for people who suck so much at tradewars that their only hope of winning a tournament is hiding in a bubble in a tholian for 30 days until the clock runs out.

Any tournament won by a point system should be
(a) redesigned to prevent this outcome in any future run of it and
(b) declared to have no winners since nobody was good enough to actually win it - by invading and killing the enemies

That is exactly the OPPOSITE of what a point system does. There are no points awarded for hiding in a bubble. Points are awarded for assets (i.e. grid) and actions (i.e. kills). In any decent point system you aren't going to win unless you get out there and attack your opponent.

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:56 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Commander

Micro wrote:
Shadow wrote:
Star Killer wrote:
Cruncher wrote:
At least we didn't CBY out because we had a rough start. We hung in and made the best of it. No one #SD# so that's a great start! :)

This is why there is a points system in this tourney and all tourneys should have one.

sk

Oh please tell me you're kidding.

Point systems are for people who suck so much at tradewars that their only hope of winning a tournament is hiding in a bubble in a tholian for 30 days until the clock runs out.

Any tournament won by a point system should be
(a) redesigned to prevent this outcome in any future run of it and
(b) declared to have no winners since nobody was good enough to actually win it - by invading and killing the enemies

That is exactly the OPPOSITE of what a point system does. There are no points awarded for hiding in a bubble. Points are awarded for assets (i.e. grid) and actions (i.e. kills). In any decent point system you aren't going to win unless you get out there and attack your opponent.

Agreed...
And thanks Micro for moving out of the tourney post.

Shadow, you only want to play games that meet your specific criteria for game play. Mainly something you can win on night one. you don't like drawn out games. which is fine. that's your thing. As stated b4 Some of us play for different reasons. some of like games that go on for a couple weeks or that you have to think outside the box to win.
what surprised me in this game is that you quit. why because you didn't think you could win...
never thought of you as a quitter..

sk

sk

Playing with integrity is more important than winning
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
2015 Lottery Tournament Winning Team Member
2016 Big Game Draft Tournament Winning Team Member
HHT 2016 Champs: Cloud09
HHT 2021 Champs(Just For Showing Up)
HHT 2022 Champs(For 90mins of Play)

Star Killer's Ice9 TWGS
Viper's Pit V1 TWGS
Email: starkillerstwgs@yahoo.com
Discord: Star Killer#0358
Ice 9 V2 TWGS: SK-TWGS.COM PORT 2002
Viper's Pit V1 TWGS: V1.SK-TWGS.COM PORT 2002
Now The Fastest TWGS in the West
https://www.facebook.com/StarKillersTradeWars/
To help offset the server(s) hosting bill donate via PayPal to: starkillerstwgs@yahoo.com

Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:24 am
Profile WWW
Chief Warrant Officer

Why do you think I call them The Quitters. Because I have seen it so many times now.

Other then dying or quitting, I personally have witnessed Shadow finish a game one time and that was a game he cheated in, the Xmas tournament.

The last 4 tourneys:
Big Game - Lost badly.
HHT - Did not play - claimed he didn't have time. After my team won, he suddenly had time and wanted to play.
XMAS - He won the game by cheating.
FIRE - Quits the game after 4 hours. Not before big drama in the forum when the game was announced.

Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:52 am
Warrant Officer

Ohhhhhh, Quitters.....
So that was you I Amtrak locked in fedspace with planets until you timed out of the game? That would be the game we blew every port in.

And just for the record the CBY request was mine. After the server crash start I saw no need to play a game the sysop himself doesn't care about. Is there any plan to find out if that error was external or internal to the server? Was it a player who glitched the board or the sysop who made the mistake? I doubt we will ever know, and if we do it will make no difference in this game.

Have your fun blaming Shadow for crap you know nothing about

Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:57 am
Commander

rider2 wrote:
Ohhhhhh, Quitters.....
So that was you I Amtrak locked in fedspace with planets until you timed out of the game? That would be the game we blew every port in.

And just for the record the CBY request was mine. After the server crash start I saw no need to play a game the sysop himself doesn't care about. Is there any plan to find out if that error was external or internal to the server? Was it a player who glitched the board or the sysop who made the mistake? I doubt we will ever know, and if we do it will make no difference in this game.

Have your fun blaming Shadow for crap you know nothing about

Okay so when Shadow told me that you all didn't blame me for whatever happened, I guess he was lying? Again I have no idea why you all got dropped, there is nothing in the TWGS logs about it. My guess only is that something went wrong on the VPS server it self. I personally have never seen anything like it. and I have been doing this a while and I think I know what I'm talking about. This was new. Granted my quitter comment was prob a little over the top but reminded me of something Vid would have done. Only playing games when your sure of winning..

And Prestone...You dont have much room to talk, I had to unban you just so you could play....

sk

sk

Star Killer's Ice9 TWGS
Viper's Pit V1 TWGS
To help offset the server(s) hosting bill donate via PayPal to: starkillerstwgs@yahoo.com

Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:51 am
Profile WWW
Warrant Officer

As a longtime tech it is my job to find out what went wrong and resolve it. It is also part of the job to assure clients with reasonable certainty that it isn't going to happen again, and for that i must have measures in place to correct it.

By your own admission you don't have any idea what the problem is. What is to stop it from happening again? Are you done investigating this?

If you want to call me a quitter for having better things to do than play a game with problems from the first minute to it's month long conclusion I'm OK with that. It was my call though, not Shadows.

Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:11 am
Commander

rider2 wrote:
As a longtime tech it is my job to find out what went wrong and resolve it. It is also part of the job to assure clients with reasonable certainty that it isn't going to happen again, and for that i must have measures in place to correct it.

By your own admission you don't have any idea what the problem is. What is to stop it from happening again? Are you done investigating this?

If you want to call me a quitter for having better things to do than play a game with problems from the first minute to it's month long conclusion I'm OK with that. It was my call though, not Shadows.

No I'm not done I also don't have a lot of options to look into further. any suggestions?

also as far as making sure it never happens again. I plan on load testing the server next time b4 the game.. by asking as many as possible to log in the night b4. I can't foresee something that never happened b4

sk

Star Killer's Ice9 TWGS
Viper's Pit V1 TWGS

Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:52 am
Profile WWW
Warrant Officer

I would request a connection log from the vps host if that is a option.
I would look at firewall logs to see what it complained about.
I would have wireshark or some other network tool log all packets at next start to see EXACTLY what happened.(define if it was external or internal)
I would then have restarted the game because I would have wanted to see it happen again and have a packet log of it. (if bad Packets, external)
If it happened again I'd likely run twgs in a debugger to log all it's program calls and bang it again.(look for internal issues, memory corrupt, bad setup file)

I would never have continued to run a Tourney under this cloud.

Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:11 am
Commander

rider2 wrote:
I would never have continued to run a Tourney under this cloud.

1st of all no one told me there was an issue I was sitting in game at terra and everything looked normal. players were coming into the game and warping to SD. I didn't fine out there was an issue for 90mins.. Then I wasn't asked about a rebang until almost 1am et. I asked and not everyone agreed.

As far as this game goes Shadow admitted to me the truth, that you only played this game because he made a deal with Hammer so, he would play beys game.

Yes I blew it. My server crashed, so its my fault. end of story.

sk

Star Killer's Ice9 TWGS
Viper's Pit V1 TWGS

Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:34 am
Profile WWW
Warrant Officer

I personally only played because Shadow asked me to. I thought screwing us with the edit was a bit over the top. I think I made that crystal going in.
Yes, this falls on you. When you asked if there were problems it wasn't 4 hours later. And we all responded with "yes, there were problems."

You asked if I had any suggestions. Every step I posted is pretty much standard troubleshooting. There is a really good chance that someone did that on purpose, and that doesn't seem to bother you at all, or at least not enough to find out what happened before hosting a month long game with 6 month bragging rights.

You asked, we answered.

Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:44 am
Lieutenant

prestone2 wrote:
Why do you think I call them The Quitters. Because I have seen it so many times now.

Other then dying or quitting, I personally have witnessed Shadow finish a game one time and that was a game he cheated in, the Xmas tournament.

Does that count the game that got you banned for duping? Because I am pretty sure I killed you anyway in that one, you just kept coming back. You and your friends. (Me, myself and I...)

And if you haven't seen me finish a game more than once, it's because I killed you before the game ended. Because my group has won four of the last five tourneys we entered prior to ICE. The only won we lost being the big game, which Hammer won fair and square with a better strategy, and I would never say otherwise despite the problems we had at the start (of our own making - people not showing up, etc.)

prestone2 wrote:
The last 4 tourneys:
Big Game - Lost badly.

Oh, you mean the one where you called us all idiots, quit and didn't show up for two days, then got mad when we asked to have you replaced. Yeah, everyone on that team is so impressed with you.

prestone2 wrote:
HHT - Did not play - claimed he didn't have time. After my team won, he suddenly had time and wanted to play.

Are you suffering from dementia or just an idiot? Because it's hard to tell sometimes. Since you clearly have recollection problems, I'll make this easier for you: we never wanted to play HHT, we never did play it, neither did anyone else, and you still claimed victory. And everyone in the game outside of you - and I do mean everyone - is still laughing at you about that.

prestone2 wrote:
XMAS - He won the game by cheating.

What part of "they did not violate the rules as posted" from the sysop did you fail to understand? We followed the rules, we won, you lost. Just because you don't have enough friends to come up with two teams, isn't our problem.

prestone2 wrote:
FIRE - Quits the game after 4 hours. Not before big drama in the forum when the game was announced.

Uh dude, back to the dementia thing. FIRE doesn't start for another month. Apparently you've already played it, and lost, in your mind.

Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:01 pm
Profile ICQ
Lieutenant

Star Killer wrote:
As far as this game goes Shadow admitted to me the truth, that you only played this game because he made a deal with Hammer so, he would play beys game.

Actually to correct that, we all lost interest when you changed the edit to make it a game we no longer felt interested in playing. Then after a bunch of drama, Hammer and I negotiated a deal to keep ICE going, which we both felt was the right thing to do, and also to still have a Moo tourney in the Spring. Because, as you often point out, we actually are trying to keep this game alive. And you agreed to bring ICE back.

I would think you would thank me for that, not be pissed off about it.

Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:04 pm
Profile ICQ
Commander

rider2 wrote:
I personally only played because Shadow asked me to. I thought screwing us with the edit was a bit over the top. I think I made that crystal going in.
Yes, this falls on you. When you asked if there were problems it wasn't 4 hours later. And we all responded with "yes, there were problems."

You asked if I had any suggestions. Every step I posted is pretty much standard troubleshooting. There is a really good chance that someone did that on purpose, and that doesn't seem to bother you at all, or at least not enough to find out what happened before hosting a month long game with 6 month bragging rights.

You asked, we answered.

No as I said I asked 90mins in if there where problems...People said yes but Why didn't you ask for a reset then not 4 hours later?

You think I host for my health that i put my time and money into this and put up with personal attacks, threats, insults because I like it. No im doing it to keep this dying game alive a little longer.

Again, Changing the edit was not personal. You think and others on your team think it was. Fine whatever. No matter what I say your nothing going to believe it. again fine whatever.

As far as someone doing it on purpose. I think that's a little paranoid. I know everyone in the game I dont think any would pull something like that

and as far as all the troubleshooting stuff you suggested mostly way over my head. Im just a dumb army vet with a scrabbled egg for a brain.

If you don't like me or my server, or how I run games feel free not to play...

-sk

P.S. I guess its to late to take you up on your offer to teach me how to script? LOL

Star Killer's Ice9 TWGS
Viper's Pit V1 TWGS

Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:11 pm
Profile WWW
Lieutenant

Star Killer wrote:
Shadow, you only want to play games that meet your specific criteria for game play. Mainly something you can win on night one. you don't like drawn out games. which is fine. that's your thing. As stated b4 Some of us play for different reasons. some of like games that go on for a couple weeks or that you have to think outside the box to win.
what surprised me in this game is that you quit. why because you didn't think you could win...
never thought of you as a quitter..

sk

And you only want to play, or host, games that meet your specific criteria - 30 day bubble hugging drawn out games that are won by the person best able to build as many planets inside their protected bubble as possible.

Sorry, not my cup of tea. So, we find ways to end them early. Which we've been doing quite effectively for several years.

You want to talk thinking outside the box? Most of the players in this game today haven't thought outside the box since about 1995. Team SDT and coloing? Guess what - that crap ain't new. In the last three years or so, Rider, Tracker, Lonestar and I have come up with more new ideas and created more new techniques than anyone has done in decades probably.
Actually, I would include Hammer there too, even though he's usually the opposition. But now people are getting pissed off because we are winning.
Well, I'm sorry we are finding ways to do things that you can't beat with the same techniques you've used since the last millennium, but that doesn't justify butchering edits to prevent us from competing.

Finally, we didn't quite because we didn't think we could win. We could have stuck around and competed, maybe won, but that would have required a drawn out 30 day effort that none of us had any interest in putting in for an edit that was boring and was not going to do anything to challenge us or advance our approach to the game in any way.

Sorry, not sorry about that.

Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:16 pm
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next