View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Death Delay Clarification 
Captain

Unread post 
This is quoted from Slice’s Manual and was wondering if all still holds true or needs some modifying?
It looks like there are 2 or 3 different definitions within this, but they are not clearly defined within it.

#16 Death Delay
First of all let's clarify what we are talking about. In 1.0X if you
lost your escape pod or got murdered in the underground you couldn't
get back into the game until the next day. That isn't what death
delay means. If you self destruct you can't get in that day or the
next day either. This is not what death delay refers to either.
Death delay is a sysop configurable paramater that changes
happens when your ship is destroyed and you wind up in an escape pod.
If death delay is set to 0 you go about your business in the escape
pod until you trade it in or lose it, just as in 1.0x. If the death
delay is set to 1 and you lose your ship you will be a sitting duck
in your escape pod until after midnight. If Death delay is set to 2
you will be stuck in an escape pod unable to enter the game all the
way through the next day as well. The same applies to other death
delay settings, you'll have to wait until midnight passes the number
of times that death delay is set.
Obviously, death delay can be very costly. There are two things
about death delay that make it even worse:
#1 It is *not* shown on the V screen! You won't know how
is set until you lose your ship or someone tells you.
#2 If your escape pod is attacked while you are "knocked
out" the number of days set in the death delay will be added to your
"sentence"! So if it is set to two and someone blows up your escape
pod before you can get back in (a very likely occurence) you'll have
to wait *another* two days before you can get back in! [boy was I
ticked off when I ran afoul of this!]

Mon May 08, 2006 4:48 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Lieutenant J.G.

Unread post 
Slice's manuals refer to games WAY before JP bought rights to TW and was way buggy! Hehehehe...I been mugged in those settings after capping a base or two and was happily traveling around in my nice new ship and the in a pod because I failed to leave game and log back in. Other players logged into the game and saw me in their sector and capped my new ship back. Confusing enough? If so ask Mad Hatter for more details about those days! Or ask Animal since he did the deed!

Thu May 11, 2006 7:29 am
Profile ICQ
Warrant Officer

Unread post 
Currently I believe death delay only has two settings, on or off (someone correct me if I'm wrong). The default is on which means if you get #SD#'d you can't re-enter the game until the stardate changes (midnight game time). If death delay is off you can immeadiatly re-enter a game after being #SD#'d. Death delay is usually turned off only for newbie games so they don't have to wait to get back in the game if they get killed. Most sysops will not turn death delay off as some players will exploit it by having a corpie at terra. They then transfer fighters and cash to the corpie, CBY, re-enter the game, and repeat. Leading to a rapid buildup of cash and fighters.

Thu May 11, 2006 3:58 pm
Profile ICQ
Captain

Unread post 
Death Delay
This is a SysOp/GameOp configurable setting, if set to ‘On’ all Ship Destroyed players have to wait until Midnight before being permitted back into the game and if set to ‘Off’ Ship Destroyed players are instantly permitted back into the game, (similar to having unlimited lives in a video game.)

Alright, thanks for info, does this sum up the definition for TWGS, well enough and Slice's info no longer counts toward the new TW games then correct?

Thu May 11, 2006 8:58 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post 
I wouldn't use anything from slices manual now days.

Man, I gotta quit showing up here...next thing you know i'll get dragged back in.

Thu May 11, 2006 9:24 pm
Profile WWW
Lieutenant J.G.

Unread post 
Total agreement Traitor unless someone has found and is playing in one of the REALLY old school pre-TWGS games that occasionally pop up in a few surviving BBS sites. I those rare cases then some of Slice's material is still good. In the newer tech games the issue would seem to be about death delay/no death delay and if not death delay in order to prevent exploitation of a 'bug/feature' then IMHO death limit should also be turned on to stop the instant cashing feature! There will probably be several viewpoints about that.

More to the point is another issue that has been discussed several times and that is what happens when extern and maintenance are set for different times. As I understand it maintenance is hard coded and happens at midnight server time and extern is flexible so gameops can set that according to their whim and you covered the subject quite well at your site. I believe Rexx has covered midnite but that cross references to maintenance correct? Extern is a different matter...but then that leads to what happens if someone enters game and midnight/maintenance has not occurred...gets SD again since has no pod and then has to wait for 2d day. Maybe that covers Rexx's original question.

Fri May 12, 2006 7:04 am
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]