View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Rogue Limpets 
Chief Warrant Officer

Unread post Rogue Limpets
I've run into instances where there there rogue limpets in sectors and they don't seem to attach to ships. Has anyone else seen this and is there any way to clear them from a sector?

Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:11 pm
Gameop

Unread post Re: Rogue Limpets
Interesting concept... just wondering how do you know that the limpets are rogue? Not even an Observer account can see limpets, and limpets can not be viewed in TEDIT? If they really are rogue limpets, and they really don't attach to ships then I think they are stuck there...

Proud Sysop of ICE9 TWGS
Home of Building and Non Regulated Games
http://www.oregonsouth.com/ice9
telnet://ice9-tw.com:2002

Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:14 pm
Ambassador

Scrat wrote:
I've run into instances where there there rogue limpets in sectors and they don't seem to attach to ships. Has anyone else seen this and is there any way to clear them from a sector?

This is odd, and I can't say that I've ever noticed this. Is the density showing a normal level for fighters/armids/ports? If so then you have a cloaked trader, and a ptorp is in order. I will test the rogue limpets on my server later tonight and see what I can find if no one has replied by then.

"A man who has no skills can be taught, a man who has no honor has nothing."

Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:10 pm
Profile ICQ
Veteran Op

Hmm, last I checked rogue limpets do still attach to your ship and can still be cleaned the old fashioned way. It could be a ghost density or a trader tho, have you tried torping it?

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:09 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Veteran Op

He's ran across a cloaked trader is what he had done. Fire a photon missile into the sector next time this happens and I'll bet your question is answered.

Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:30 am
Chief Warrant Officer

I'm pretty sure they were limpets because the densities showed an even number other that 0 or 100 and the sectors originally had rouge fighters and mines in them. It may not have been in the most recent version of the game though. It's been a while since I saw this and I don't even remember the server it was on.

Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:53 am
Gameop

I was playing a game in which there was a wanderer planet that moved 2 times a day. I would use a gridder that laid corp figs to search it out then abandon the corp (turning all of the corp assets rogue) so I could unfig grid to search more.

I thought that the armid mines and figs would go rogue but the limpets would just disappear.

Cerne

Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:08 pm
Profile ICQ
Veteran Op

Cerne wrote:
I was playing a game in which there was a wanderer planet that moved 2 times a day. I would use a gridder that laid corp figs to search it out then abandon the corp (turning all of the corp assets rogue) so I could unfig grid to search more.

I thought that the armid mines and figs would go rogue but the limpets would just disappear.

Cerne

Yes. As far as I know, when a corp goes defunct, the fighters and armids go rogue, and the limpets just disappear. I would say that maybe a cloaked trader was deleted either by the sysop, or by inactivity in the game and what was remaining was the density and the anomoly. I do know that when an observer is offline, they do leave a density even though you can't see them there. Also when tedit is used to remove a player, the density is still in the last sector that trader was in. Now, whether the anomoly is still there or not if they are cloaked at the time, I've never tested. There is no way to edit limpets with tedit. It doesn't even show them as being there in the tedit screen.

Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:59 pm
Commander

saw mystery limpets today...showed anom...but no limpet there.....and no it wasnt a cloaked ship and yes it showed density increase of 2

Coconut Telegraph (ICQ)#586137616
Team Speak3@ 220.244.125.70:9987
Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Winner of Gridwars 2010 - Ka Pla
Jesus wounldn't Subspace Crawl

Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:35 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Veteran Op

Parrothead wrote:
saw mystery limpets today...showed anom...but no limpet there.....and no it wasnt a cloaked ship and yes it showed density increase of 2

I know when a trader is deleted the density will still remain in the last sector he was in. I always move the trader to sector 0 before I delete an account. This may be the case with rogue limpets. The limpets themselves should disappear, but may leave an anomoly and density behind. This could be easily tested by creating a corp and laying 1 corporate limpet then abolish the corp and see what's left behind.

Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:04 am
Ambassador

Parrothead wrote:

Can you deploy limps in the sector? Just wondering if you did and then picked them up if it would clear the anom....

"A man who has no skills can be taught, a man who has no honor has nothing."

Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:30 am
Profile ICQ
Commander

tried that..perma anom

Coconut Telegraph (ICQ)#586137616
Team Speak3@ 220.244.125.70:9987
Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Winner of Gridwars 2010 - Ka Pla
Jesus wounldn't Subspace Crawl

Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:37 pm
Profile ICQ YIM