View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Ship speeds 
Private 1st Class

Unread post Ship speeds
The question has to do with something I read on an old site the other day. The site was talking about how the speed that a ship moved was dependent on how many turns to warp the ship used. So as a simple example a ship that takes 2 turns to warp would be twice as fast as a ship that took 4 turns to warp. The site was talking in terms of seconds, so 2 seconds to warp compared to 4 seconds.

In the games I have been playing this doesn't really seem to be true, so I'm wonding if that is something from the old days or if it is a setting that is controlled by the Sysop. Maybe just sped up for todays environment. If it was just sped up it would mean that someone trying to chase me down in and "slow" ship would never catch me assuming we are both using scripts.

Thanks in advance for any input,

Blackwuf

Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:41 pm
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post Re: Ship speeds
That's the ship delay factor, you can find it in the " S- View Game Settings " at the game login. It's in fractions of a second I think. Usually nowadays, its set to none. The effects you notice occur when it is other than none. There is more to it all than that, but that's how to find the setting.

Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:25 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Ambassador

Blackwuf wrote:
The question has to do with something I read on an old site the other day. The site was talking about how the speed that a ship moved was dependent on how many turns to warp the ship used. So as a simple example a ship that takes 2 turns to warp would be twice as fast as a ship that took 4 turns to warp. The site was talking in terms of seconds, so 2 seconds to warp compared to 4 seconds.

In the games I have been playing this doesn't really seem to be true, so I'm wonding if that is something from the old days or if it is a setting that is controlled by the Sysop. Maybe just sped up for todays environment. If it was just sped up it would mean that someone trying to chase me down in and "slow" ship would never catch me assuming we are both using scripts.

Thanks in advance for any input,

Blackwuf

Ship delay has various settings controlled by the sysOp.

"A man who has no skills can be taught, a man who has no honor has nothing."

Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:26 pm
Profile ICQ
Private 1st Class

Thanks for the infor guys. The game I'm playing is set to None so that means every ship is the same speed, it just a matter of how fast the script/connection is.

Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:41 pm
Commander

Blackwuf wrote:
Thanks for the infor guys. The game I'm playing is set to None so that means every ship is the same speed, it just a matter of how fast the script/connection is.

Correct. And if in a turn game, a ship using 15 turns per warp will be done faster than one with 2 turns per warp.

But risk has always been an inescapable part of warfare.

--

Knight to Queen's Bishop 3

Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:22 pm
1st Sergeant

Thrawn wrote:
Correct. And if in a turn game, a ship using 15 turns per warp will be done faster than one with 2 turns per warp.

And a ship with 4 turns per warp will use up its turns twice as fast as a ship with 2 turns per warp.

Also, two plus two equals four.

Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:44 am
Chief Warrant Officer

Also if ship delay is on it will affect how long it takes to launch a wave of fighters. The slower the ship the longer it takes.

Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:11 pm
Gameop

Scrat wrote:
Also if ship delay is on it will affect how long it takes to launch a wave of fighters. The slower the ship the longer it takes.

i'm going to go out on a limb and say that ship delay has nothing to do with fighter waves. i'm pretty sure it has only to do with moving.

helper : http://svn.thereverend.org:8080/revhelper/

Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:39 pm
Veteran Op

Quote:
i'm going to go out on a limb and say that ship delay has nothing to do with fighter waves. i'm pretty sure it has only to do with moving.

Actually he's correct, this was a change in one of the last few versions. Ship delay effects fig wave launches just as it effects movement, so that a 4tpw ship takes a full second to power up.

Several years ago there was a turny w/ ship delay and small figwaves. You could grid around and get a saveme long before the ISS could lift to kill you on a pdrop.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:12 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Gameop

interesting. i stand corrected then.

helper : http://svn.thereverend.org:8080/revhelper/

Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]