View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Don't shoot me, but... 
Staff Sergeant

Unread post Don't shoot me, but...
Out of curiosity, though I know the focus of this entire website is on designing and creating TWGS environments that attract players...

What, in your opinion, are good settings for a game you just intend to play solo? As in, just you playing, not open to the internet for others to log in and join?

Gold or not-Gold, doesn't matter.

Just asking this question as a thinking exercise.
-Bridget`

Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:08 am
Ambassador

Unread post Re: Don't shoot me, but...
Bridget` wrote:
Out of curiosity, though I know the focus of this entire website is on designing and creating TWGS environments that attract players...

What, in your opinion, are good settings for a game you just intend to play solo? As in, just you playing, not open to the internet for others to log in and join?

-Bridget`

Unlim turns and a Sub Zero edit works pretty well. There are several edits in the TWA forum that you could try. Since it is a home game, you can T-Edit turns or whatever to simulate about anything.

"A man who has no skills can be taught, a man who has no honor has nothing."

Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:43 pm
Profile ICQ
Veteran Op

I like tinkering with Alien Retribution lots of aliens to attack and planets to invade if your just looking for something to mess around in.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:55 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Commander

Bridget` wrote:

-Bridget`

If you want to experiment with creating ships, planets, and aliens, then you need Gold. Also need Gold if you plan on having a large universe (5000 sectors to 20000 sectors requires Gold).

Otherwise, user preference.

But risk has always been an inescapable part of warfare.

--

Knight to Queen's Bishop 3

Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:11 pm
Staff Sergeant

Thanks, everyone!

I have a TWGS with Gold enabled. I've always enjoyed the game, but worknig 60-72 hours a week doesn't lend itself to playing the game properly, using all available turns, etc.

So, I'm learning the aspects of game play I can on my own, such as building in bubbles and the like.

Thanks!
-Bridget`

Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:40 pm
Lieutenant J.G.

If playing solo on my local machine, I like to play a capture the planet game.

Basically I use a TEDIT script to edit Ferrengal to a level 6 H with plenty of defense on it, but not maxed. I use the script so I do not know where it is.

Then set my turns and give myself a goal on how many days I have to find the planet, make enough cash to buy figs to invade it and capture it.

A few weeks ago, I downloaded the Alien Retribution file. I decided to make it a goal to find all 8 planets with their original edits, capture them, try to hold onto them while they make it to level 4, then bring them to my home base.

The problem was..none of the alien races made much of an effort to re-capture their planets. I even made it easy for them by turning off the Q-guns, left just a few thousand figs in sector and even did the same on the planets.

Still no efforts by the aliens to try and recapture their planets. I was disappointed. I thought if I captured alien planets, they'd make an effort to recapture them back, especially if the planet is still in their home sector.

I would love to see alien races capable of seeking out their home planet if captured and moved and try and recapture them. Thrawn was talking about that with me one day.

Once I realized the aliens were making little or no effort to recapture their home planets, I gave up the game and just rebanged a game for testing macros and scripts.

Hopefully JP can put code in the game that can make aliens recapture their home planets.

Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:44 pm
Commander

Timberwolf wrote:
If playing solo on my local machine, I like to play a capture the planet game.

Basically I use a TEDIT script to edit Ferrengal to a level 6 H with plenty of defense on it, but not maxed. I use the script so I do not know where it is.

Then set my turns and give myself a goal on how many days I have to find the planet, make enough cash to buy figs to invade it and capture it.

A few weeks ago, I downloaded the Alien Retribution file. I decided to make it a goal to find all 8 planets with their original edits, capture them, try to hold onto them while they make it to level 4, then bring them to my home base.

The problem was..none of the alien races made much of an effort to re-capture their planets. I even made it easy for them by turning off the Q-guns, left just a few thousand figs in sector and even did the same on the planets.

Still no efforts by the aliens to try and recapture their planets. I was disappointed. I thought if I captured alien planets, they'd make an effort to recapture them back, especially if the planet is still in their home sector.

I would love to see alien races capable of seeking out their home planet if captured and moved and try and recapture them. Thrawn was talking about that with me one day.

Once I realized the aliens were making little or no effort to recapture their home planets, I gave up the game and just rebanged a game for testing macros and scripts.

Hopefully JP can put code in the game that can make aliens recapture their home planets.

The problem is in the AI behavior itself. The "alien" races will not do much in the way of searching and reclaiming their planets until that is addressed. However, we made our own "computer player" script that will create and maintain its planet. We have a few little areas to cover and then we will code it to seek out and recapture it's planet. But this is via script. Hopefully JP will get to the AI or perhaps allow some way for us programmers to code our own.

--

Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:50 pm
Ambassador

I seem to remember a few years back in a game against a corp Oz was on and them attempting to invade an alien homeworld, and the aliens took out Oz and the corp members on their planet. My memory of this is fairly vague as to all the circumstances or even the edit we were playing. I know the aliens can be set very aggressive as the original Greek Gods edit had them. I tamed them down on the release.

"A man who has no skills can be taught, a man who has no honor has nothing."

Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:00 pm
Profile ICQ
Commander

Promethius wrote:
I seem to remember a few years back in a game against a corp Oz was on and them attempting to invade an alien homeworld, and the aliens took out Oz and the corp members on their planet. My memory of this is fairly vague as to all the circumstances or even the edit we were playing. I know the aliens can be set very aggressive as the original Greek Gods edit had them. I tamed them down on the release.

It's the same when we designed Alien Retribution. We set the aliens to be aggressive. However, they won't do much if you capture and move their planet. If you just capture it and leave it in their space, they will attempt to take it back.

--

Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:09 pm
Veteran Op

I've had aliens find and take out an HW of theirs. The ferg were set to aggressive
and I moved their planet out about 5 hops out. They managed to find and retake
their planet.

The aliens will retake their planet IF they can find it. The problem is, they suck at
searching. If you leave the planet in their space, they'll find it. If you leave it close
to their space, they'll find it. If you leave it near a class 0, they'll probably find it.
If they find it, they'll try to retake it.

Depending on settings, their searching can be very lame, or very aggressive. In
both settings, however, it's not very targeted.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:20 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Lieutenant J.G.

Thrawn wrote:
Promethius wrote:

It's the same when we designed Alien Retribution. We set the aliens to be aggressive. However, they won't do much if you capture and move their planet. If you just capture it and leave it in their space, they will attempt to take it back.

I did capture those planets, but had to leave them in their space while waiting for the planets to go mobile. I expected to get spammed on my messages with invasion attempts. The only ones I got were fig hit reports. nothing about attempting to take the planets themselves.

Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]