View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Remembering Space Ghost 
Ambassador

Unread post Remembering Space Ghost
Since it's likely that most of us will not be able to attend services or the memorial I thought I'd start this thread so we can post our stories. So, this will be our own memorial "forum style", I think he would have loved that we use this forum, that he spend so many years in service to us, to memorialize him.

BOTE 1998 Champs: Team Fament
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team
HHT 2018 Champs: Rock Stars
Big Game 2019 Champs: Draft Team

Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://crunchers-twgs.com:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/4dja5Z8
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW

Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:40 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Ambassador

Unread post Re: Remembering Space Ghost
When I first returned just about a year ago, I got a phone call from this very excited little man. "Hey Baby!" were the first words I heard, and even though it had been 10 years since I heard that voice, I knew exactly who he was.

My caller ID for that number is simply SG. He was so excited that I was returning and wanted so desperately to help me to use today's "tools" so I could compete again. We had many conversations about how I knew I could still play manually, and him insisting I could not. Until finally I agreed to use TWX and was totally frustrated trying to get the thing working!

Finally I just said here go to PC Anywhere and gave him access to my computer so he could install it for me and teach me how to use it. I have to laugh now, but I know I frustrated the heck out of him, but not intentionally though. When I didn't understand and asked a question, he would keep repeating the same answer only louder each time!

After all these years, I don’t think he and I every really played together, and I had hoped to get the chance to play against him in one of the solo games. He truly was a unique personality and a very good friend. Miss ya SG!

Attachments:
File comment: SG, Animal & Eleq - TW Con 2k - Las Vegas.
(Animal also deceased)

SG, Animal & Eleq.jpg
SG, Animal & Eleq.jpg [ 255.45 KiB | Viewed 27849 times ]

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm
Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:04 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Veteran Op

Here is a repost from Kansas City Hard Rock Cafe Hotel in 2008. Good weekend sitting around discussing TW's.
Attachment:
IMG_5217_cropped2.jpg
IMG_5217_cropped2.jpg [ 193.41 KiB | Viewed 27843 times ]

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:31 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Lieutenant Commander

I never knew SG on a personal level, but I did get to play with him a time or two. We corped up for a USO. This one stuck out because, the game was basically over and we were all stuck in Fed Space. The rest of the corp wanted to bail. We had no chance. But SG logged in every single day. For a month or more. We ended up getting third place just for that. SG was tenacious. He took risks. He loved TW. I always appreciated that he had time to answer questions or give me feedback on stuff. He was a great ambassador for this silly game we play. Anyone that ever met him, remembered him. We're going to miss you old friend.

Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:31 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Gameop

I never got to meet SG in person, but had quite a few phone talks and Teamspeak talks with him as well as exchanged lots of emails back and forth.

But what I remember most, is wehen I first got back into playing, I wasn't using any helpers or scripts, and was playing by hand, and some macro's. We were in one of the BOTE's and he and one of his corpmates were trying their damnedest to pod me while going into and out of Stardock, it drove him nuts, and wanted to know what scripts I was using, when he found out I was doing it by hand, he complemented me on the play, then started showing me the new world of the scripts and bots that were out, so I wouldn't be wearing my hands out. I still remember that well, on that game he and his corpmates took my corp out but me early in the game, then they finally got me, that is when he started teaching me about TWX Proxy and the use of scripts and bots with it. He made playing the game less tiresome on my hands to say the least. though I still like to play a totally manual game from time to time.

SG was the first person to get me into the new TW game play. And I will never forget that. And will always remember him as one of the top players and teachers of the game. Even though in later years we drove each other crazy in game and in forums, but when we talked in person on phone, teamspeak or on personal Emails we worked things out and really got along. He was that kind of person. At the end of the day, you always knew you had a friend and someone you could talk to, no matter what.

Vulcan

Forum and site down for now.
my Email is vulcan219@comcast.net now

Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:06 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Site Admin

This is unbelievably sad. I've known SG for so many years, though only through the computer. Our relationship was very casual. Basically, SG was there anytime I needed someone to chat with about TW, he ran my forum for several years when it was the furthest thing from my mind for long stretches, and lately he's been one of the dominant forces behind my current work on the game. It only takes one or two people with the enthusiasm that Tom had for this game to make me feel that my time and effort are worthwhile. There aren't a lot of people who are passionate about this game, but the fact that there are people like Tom, that's what keeps me energized about this game after all of these years. And when a friend like Tom departs this community, as Lisa Wilson (Rave) did in 2002, and others have since, it leaves a void. After Lisa passed away, I didn’t want to go near the game for several years. With Tom's passing, I feel I owe him to follow through on so many of the things we have talked about for this game over the years. As I wrap up this version and think about the future of TradeWars, Tom will be with me, as Lisa always has been, motivating me to keep pushing, keep the game alive. It's such a scant consolation to Tom's family, but he is part of this game and part of him will live as long as this game lives on. There is so little I can do in the face of something so tragic and heartbreaking, but what I can do I will.

I've been planning to unveil a new Fed in this version, Captain Wilson aboard the USS Destiny after Lisa Wilson/Cutler, AKA Rave, and her daughter, Destiny who was born just before she passed away. I would also like to add either a Fed or a wandering Pirate as a memorial to Tom. I was thinking I could make it a ghost ship that just wanders in space, invincible. If anyone has an idea what to call him and his ship, I’m open to suggestions. Also, if there are any taunts he liked to use during games, I could make a list of them and he could use them to taunt players he comes across in the game.

Farewell, Tom. You were a great friend and I will miss you.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:12 pm
Profile WWW
Gameop

Hi JP Glad to see you, I wish we had better circumstances for the visit, we were thinking of asking if you would name a pod manufacturer after SG, but hearing your idea, I like it even better, I would leave his Ghost character as Space Ghost, and the name of the Ship, well don't know on the name of the ship, but would be cool to have it made by Boo Inc. or Space Ghost Industries.

SG really was a good friend to me, and despite our butting heads, I would like to see him honored the way you put it, and I llke the way you are honoring Rave and her daughter as well.

Thanks,

Vulcan

Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:22 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Gameop

Many of my favorite memories involve SG as a player and his yearly night before Christmas postings. Space Ghost had tenacity to keep going no matter what people tossed his way. He never gave up in game regardless of the circumstances, his ideas while sometimes zany were full of passion for the game. I almost always smiled when he approached me with new ideas for scripts (sometimes from bemusement at the request) due to his enthusiasm. The ghost with the most was not a quitter, last to CBY first to log in. Tom loved this game and this community, I will sorely miss him as both a CEO and a friend.

I can remember a time when I was playing a game with a handle named TheJoker or something like that, SG didn't want certain people to know he was in game for whatever reason. Anyways the way I found out that TheJoker who had made a new ICQ handle as well was SG was because his Mombot had the SG tag at the end. I always chuckle when I think of this story because it reflects the player who I knew as Space Ghost. Someone who tried and tried really had but always seemed to have some minor detail bite him and throw off his game. This part of the player was repeated throughout the years I knew him. From self podding to blowing up planets with full corp mates on it trying to defend our sectors.

Whatever the player known as Space Ghost may have lacked he made up for sheer dedication to his corp, his friends and this forum. I am a better player for having known him and will miss Tom. I hope that JP will make the pod manufacturer Space Ghost Industries, I know that he would get a real kick out of having a pod named after him and I think that better embodies the player I knew as Space Ghost.

ICQ#31380757, -=English 101 pwns me=-
"This one claims to have been playing since 1993 and didn't know upgrading a port would raise his alignment."

Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:53 pm
Profile ICQ
Lieutenant J.G.

JP-

I think no matter the name that is chosen is an honor which Tom deserves. I know all of us thank you for making sure that the current and future players of TW make sure Tom lives on.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

**http://wiki.classictw.com/index.php?title=Main_Page
**http://web.archive.org/web/19980610181412/http://www.azi.com/

Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:02 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Gameop

Ditto....

What Miss said.

Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:11 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Veteran Op

The first game I saw SG in was the 2005/2006 BYOC.
Bud picked him as our head red. I thought "who's
this kook writing TW poetry?"

Later that year, he hosted Big Game and HHT. Both
were classic SG style games. Big Game had a planet
with 100k ore and shields, and a planet with 1m ore
and no shields. HHT had long tunnels, a universe
that stretched some 60 hops, and ships with 85 holds
to get there. Oh, and planets never went mobile. It
was his attention to details that made an SG edit
unique.

SG loved to make edits, loved to host games, loved
to play in challenging games. He loved to play for
the long haul. If a team couldn't handle a 60-day
game, he'd make sure it lasted that long. He enjoyed
playing red as much as many of us enjoy playing the
grid war. He loved to run SST and SDT. He was as
giddy as a school girl when he finally got his own
team SDT script. After cashing, it was pgrid time.
"Scooby?" and pgrid'n we go.

Over the years, we played many games together. We
created many edits together, setup many tournies.
The best consolation I have is that we won our last
game against Kraaken together... hehe.

IRC log:
(09:06:18 AM) SpaceGhostTW: hey bro u around?
(09:06:23 AM) Singularity_TW: Sup man?
(09:06:25 AM) Singularity_TW: How you doing?
(09:06:37 AM) SpaceGhostTW: im well just bored
(09:06:46 AM) Singularity_TW: LOL
(09:06:54 AM) Singularity_TW: still in the hospital?
(09:07:01 AM) SpaceGhostTW: any chance u can put that sdt file up for me to download?
(09:07:07 AM) Singularity_TW: yeh one sec
(09:07:12 AM) SpaceGhostTW: ya still in hosptial bored using gotomypc

Even in the hospital for a heart attack, he was still
playing.

The guy was always the first to volunteer for a
crazy mission, and the first to suggest a crazy
tactic. It landed him in a pod more than not, but
it never slowed him down.

Heck, even now he's still podding people. People
say "I'll keep going till I'm dead!" ... well in SG's
case, he's going to keep going a little while after
that.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:04 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Sergeant

There is so many stories ... but here are a few come it mind and put a smile on my face

When I moved To Virginia Beach back in Aug 2000 ... him and his son helped me move in ... he never physically met me before that day , but never hesitated and reach out and helped a person he considers a friend ....also during that time the phone company was on strike ( Bell Atlantic ) and couldn't get phone put in my apartment ..... him and his wife gave up one of their cell phones , for the time until I could get my phone installed ..... Not many people would do a little bit more for someone they only just met for about a week .

At the first couple days of the HHT 2000 ... my modem in my computer went out ... SG took time out of his day ... came over and let me use his extra external modem ( we were on opposing corps ) .... few hours later I destroyed his ship and pod with the connection he provided :) .... thought for sure he would come over and take it back :)

TW Con 2001 ( btw have the pics on my facebook but can't upload them to tw facebook site ) ..... the first night we are all mingling and having a good time ... SG coughed ( the type that was loaded ) .... Someone said that is bad ..... he says watch this then .... from our balcony he did a spit that seemed to be 1.5 to 2 feet long ( fuseblown might be able to get the specific length since he was the closest ) ... then he sucked it up in one breath .... we were rolling ... think my wife was about half sick .... makes me smile every time I remember it

We all know of his love of the game and devotion to it .... here is another example of his dedication ( or addiction ) to the game .... while he was helping his boss with website and new computer system ( Used Car lot ) .... he talked him into getting a t3 ..... No reason for it , except he wanted to be able to play the game really well in between car sales with no lag .

My wife ( Bad Girl ) ... used to say he died more time then Kenny on South Park

With his Risky style at times ( especially at the beginning of some of the early tournaments ) ... was a running joke on how quick he would get in a pod at the beginning of the game ..... he usually came back into the game with vengeance .

I miss my friend ... see him on the other side

James ( Guardian )

Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:46 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Gameop

Guardian wrote:
There is so many stories ... but here are a few come it mind and put a smile on my face

When I moved To Virginia Beach back in Aug 2000 ... him and his son helped me move in ... he never physically met me before that day , but never hesitated and reach out and helped a person he considers a friend ....also during that time the phone company was on strike ( Bell Atlantic ) and couldn't get phone put in my apartment ..... him and his wife gave up one of their cell phones , for the time until I could get my phone installed ..... Not many people would do a little bit more for someone they only just met for about a week .

At the first couple days of the HHT 2000 ... my modem in my computer went out ... SG took time out of his day ... came over and let me use his extra external modem ( we were on opposing corps ) .... few hours later I destroyed his ship and pod with the connection he provided :) .... thought for sure he would come over and take it back :)

TW Con 2001 ( btw have the pics on my facebook but can't upload them to tw facebook site ) ..... the first night we are all mingling and having a good time ... SG coughed ( the type that was loaded ) .... Someone said that is bad ..... he says watch this then .... from our balcony he did a spit that seemed to be 1.5 to 2 feet long ( fuseblown might be able to get the specific length since he was the closest ) ... then he sucked it up in one breath .... we were rolling ... think my wife was about half sick .... makes me smile every time I remember it

We all know of his love of the game and devotion to it .... here is another example of his dedication ( or addiction ) to the game .... while he was helping his boss with website and new computer system ( Used Car lot ) .... he talked him into getting a t3 ..... No reason for it , except he wanted to be able to play the game really well in between car sales with no lag .

My wife ( Bad Girl ) ... used to say he died more time then Kenny on South Park

With his Risky style at times ( especially at the beginning of some of the early tournaments ) ... was a running joke on how quick he would get in a pod at the beginning of the game ..... he usually came back into the game with vengeance .

I miss my friend ... see him on the other side

James ( Guardian )

Guardian,

I loved the one on the internet connection and the South Park one, as well as the quick to a pod then come back with a vengence, I can relate to the coming back with a vengence one, from playing against him in games.

Vulcan

Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:07 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Ambassador

His memory for tournaments and team mates was unbeleivable. Now I know I've been on the winning corp of every tournament I've played, but the details escape me. I can recall my team for the very first BOTE but that's about it. SG not only remembered every team I've been on in a tourney but he also recalled how quickly we ended. And that's been some time ago. I never did play a HHT, I thought his edits were too wild.

Oh lord I'm gonna miss him. The two of us like tenasious Bull Dogs, him trying to convince me to play today's "Modern" games with today's "tools", and me wanting it back the way it used to be when real people were at the keys.

I've never met anyone with more passion for this game, and probably never will.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:32 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Admin

I'm working on some ideas for a Space Ghost NPC, but I can see that there's special meaning in naming the Pod manufacturer after him, so I'll do that regardless of whatever else I come up with. Probably "Boo, Inc." I know he was very proud of that corp name and would love to have it live on in the game. I'm reluctant to use the name Space Ghost directly because it's a copyrighted name.

Was there a common ship name he used?

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:02 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next