View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Remembering Space Ghost 
Corporal

Unread post Re: Remembering Space Ghost
The first time I ran into SG in the TWars....(He will always be SG to me), I was playing a game in VaBeach...I think it was on Cupids (about 1.5 decades ago). Rupert and I were struggling trying to set something up, and of course, kept being invaded.
One day, sitting in our little tunnel (inexperienced) we were once again being invaded. Space Ghost was online and sent ship's mail to a channel. We went to it, and he offered a blindwarp. Hmmmmm... someone we didnt know offering a blindwarp...I looked at Rup (husband at the time), and he said..."you go". So I did...and I survived!!!!

A couple of weeks later SG took me to a "bigger" game. He was Evil, of course, and he set me up at Star Dock. Gave me $$$, told me what to do and what to buy (ISS, of course). When it came to naming the ship...took about 2 seconds..."Boo's B*tch". Over 90% of my ISS's were named that.

I don't know how many newbies he killed on tag figs around SD in the "early days". I know when he did, (maybe caused I b*tched at him about it??) he would give me $$, send me to SD and have me deposit the $$ in their account. They would buy another ship...wander out....come back in...hit the tag....and the cycle would repeat itself *SIGH* (SG heard THAT enuf times from me). If the newbies were persistent enough...He would invite them to join him.

SG was the "teacher extraordinaire". Yeah...he would lose patience...he yelled at me a gazillion times...but he would not give up on anyone if they were "true to the corp". The message I got most often from him the first year or so, was "MED! FED OFF", (cause I would get in a pissin' match with someone) and off it would go. Got to the point..never turned it on whether I was playing with SG or not.

SG was my mentor...SG is my TWars Hero!!

Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:56 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Corporal

JP
When SG first took me in (mid to late 90's) I remember most of his ships were named Boo! Later he formed Boo! Inc. Do not remember any particular ship name he stuck to other than that. But I have not played TWars with him in almost 7 years.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:42 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Veteran Op

I haven't really noticed any particular ship names either. "Mystery Machine"
a few times, but that's about it. Mostly, he plays red, and blues buy the ships.
So whatever the blue buys and names, he used.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:45 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Ambassador

I never notice any ship names if the few games I played that he was in, but in the thread viewtopic.php?f=14&t=21523&hilit=taxi
he titled it "The Space Cruiser" but I don't know if that was what he called his ride in RL. He seemed pretty proud of it.

"A man who has no skills can be taught, a man who has no honor has nothing."

Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:07 am
Profile ICQ
Gameop

Promethius wrote:
I never notice any ship names if the few games I played that he was in, but in the thread viewtopic.php?f=14&t=21523&hilit=taxi
he titled it "The Space Cruiser" but I don't know if that was what he called his ride in RL. He seemed pretty proud of it.

Prome, I went to the link you posted, and loved SG's ride, and and think the name he called it should be the name of the ship. or call it t " The Ghost Cruiser." After seeing it I had to comment on it, though late.

Also said this as well: Funny thing is, the last time I talked to SG before i left the forums and game for a while, that he talked about doing that, so now I can say he did it.

Vulcan

Forum and site down for now.
my Email is vulcan219@comcast.net now

Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:40 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Site Admin

The cartoon Space Ghost's ship was the Phantom Cruiser, so maybe Space Cruiser was his version of that.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:55 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Ok, I've been weighing two options. One, basically just putting Space Ghost into the game directly as an NPC, using the name Space Ghost, ship name Space Cruiser, manufactured by Boo! Inc, so this NPC is really intended to be our friend, Space Ghost, wandering the game. The other approach is to create a character in the game that's inspired by Tom, but not "Space Ghost". It would be obvious who the character is inspired by, but there would be more creative license used in defining his backstory, etc. This character would be something like the Grimy Trader, Captain Zyrain, or Kal Durak, a persona within the game.

What I'm leaning toward is to keep it simple for the classic game, just Space Ghost and Space Cruiser, so it's very obvious to this community who this character represents. But I have been building an elaborate fiction based on TradeWars for many years now (Tom was one of the few who has actually seen any of that), and for that fiction, I'd like to introduce a more complex character based on Tom. That way I can have it both ways.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:17 am
Profile WWW
Gameop

Well I know no matter how you do it JP, Tom would be honored, no matter what, if anything you can build the character back ground you wanted and just name the Character SG everyone here really knows who those initials belong to, and may help you get around the licensed character thing you mentioned earlier in the thread. I hope my input has some bearing and helps you decide what you want to do, me I am just tickled giddy that you are honoring SG for us, we really appreciate that.

Vulcan

Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:30 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Veteran Op

John Pritchett wrote:
Ok, I've been weighing two options. One, basically just putting Space Ghost into the game directly as an NPC, using the name Space Ghost, ship name Space Cruiser, manufactured by Boo! Inc, so this NPC is really intended to be our friend, Space Ghost, wandering the game. The other approach is to create a character in the game that's inspired by Tom, but not "Space Ghost". It would be obvious who the character is inspired by, but there would be more creative license used in defining his backstory, etc. This character would be something like the Grimy Trader, Captain Zyrain, or Kal Durak, a persona within the game.

What I'm leaning toward is to keep it simple for the classic game, just Space Ghost and Space Cruiser, so it's very obvious to this community who this character represents. But I have been building an elaborate fiction based on TradeWars for many years now (Tom was one of the few who has actually seen any of that), and for that fiction, I'd like to introduce a more complex character based on Tom. That way I can have it both ways.

The one thing I remember is no matter what you were talking to him about TradeWars, it always started with "Bro" Just a thought :)

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:01 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Site Admin

Hahahah, yeah ;) I have plenty of chat logs demonstrating that!

Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:54 am
Profile WWW
Ambassador

We have to get his tagline in there someplace.

The Ghost you LOVE to HATE!!! The J.R. Ewing of TradeWars..

And I was thinking, I know this may be stretching things a bit but can you make his NPC fire a "ghost" photon. You get the message a photon has been fired in your sector but no damage or turns taken.

Now, that would be awesome!

BOTE 1998 Champs: Team Fament
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team
HHT 2018 Champs: Rock Stars
Big Game 2019 Champs: Draft Team

Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://crunchers-twgs.com:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/4dja5Z8
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW

Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:00 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Gameop

On that note for the player being attacked, have most of the normal things showing from any attack from SG as would anyother npc, then have the screen say as you await sure destruction, from the attack that is coming, you notice nothing happened, puzzled you look at you screens and out the ports to only see the attacking ship fade away to nothing.

Then have SG say something as he fades from view. Only to reappear somewhere else to attack someone else. All random of course on when or where these ghostly attacks occur.

Vulcan

Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:03 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Corporal

I love this. The ideas are flying. My husband suggested, since SG loved Red, that when he appeared...go into sector and "rob" someone. Couple credits...nothing damaging to the player

Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:03 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Gameop

That is good too Medusa,

A couple creds here a couple creds there, it all adds up after a while, and would make it worth some greedy red to track him down to try and get those creds. lol.

Vulcan

Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:22 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Corporal

A message from Dena

Dena Zewe Pocky
Dena Zewe PockyFebruary 22, 2011 at 1:01am
Re: TWars Forum
thank you so much for letting me know. is there any way I can post? if not, will you please let everyone know that I am so happy they are coming up with a way to honor him. I used to get so upset he spent so much time on this game and not doing things with me, but he loved it and everyone who played it. he would sit up for hours getting ready for the haunted halloween tourny, or working on his annual "night before" poems, or any of his other ones he did, and then would so proudly read them to me, usually the next morning after working on it all night. He loved writing those things. I personally don't understand the game and never wanted to play (sorry), but it was him and he did share a lot of things about it with me and I tried to understand as much as I could. He loved the tw reunions in vegas and here (and I got to meet everyone who attended those 2) and I know he had a great time in Kansas a few years ago at that one. Please let JP know that I am so pleased he's doing all this in honor of Tom and I know everyone will miss him and his silliness, as well as him continually being in a pod because he killed himself doing something stupid. And yes, even in the hospital, I took him my laptop and his router from his cab just so he could play allday and not drive the nurses crazy all day. Please keep me posted when new post go on here. I cried through them but it was great to see how much love and respect everyone had for him and the way he played. thank you.

Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:41 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next