View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 !.03 Full license to 2.0? 
Lance Corporal

Unread post !.03 Full license to 2.0?
I see the 1.03 full server and game license only opens the 2.0 twgs to 25 games and 100 lines. I guess this was the full license of 1.03. nice.
thats a good system for a small hobbist to a midclass server. 2.0 is nice.
So, what are the capiblities of the new 2.0? and what happened to Jumpgate? I see it's no longer in the menus. I thought a server to server chat would be nice. it would sort of be like a space mud type of thing.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:51 pm
Site Admin

Unread post Re: !.03 Full license to 2.0?
Yeah, if you registered full TWGS before, you'll have the maxed out registration for v2. That's the max TWGS supports, 25 games and 100 nodes. And I consider 20 players to be a pretty full server.

Jumpgate is there and actually has some basic functionality. It moved out of the offline config area to the game config area in the Command Center. You'll find a Jumpgate tab there.

I hadn't thought about server-to-server chat. Do you mean chat from within a game into another game on the same or different server? I've added a feature to send messages from TWGS into games, though it's only used when shutting down the server at this time.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:20 pm
Profile WWW
Lance Corporal

John Pritchett wrote:
Yeah, if you registered full TWGS before, you'll have the maxed out registration for v2. That's the max TWGS supports, 25 games and 100 nodes. And I consider 20 players to be a pretty full server.

Jumpgate is there and actually has some basic functionality. It moved out of the offline config area to the game config area in the Command Center. You'll find a Jumpgate tab there.

I hadn't thought about server-to-server chat. Do you mean chat from within a game into another game on the same or different server? I've added a feature to send messages from TWGS into games, though it's only used when shutting down the server at this time.

ah, I thought jumpgate was a server to server chat system. so there is system wide admin chat? like, Your universal is calapsing for maint. in 5 mins, please log off now? users in thier ships or on a developed planet should be able to chat the system admin. i.e. the God of all the universes.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:08 pm
Site Admin

The way that's normally done is by creating an Observer account in each game. You can log in and fly around in a special, invincible ship. I don't think there's a way to leave messages to the admin, though. That's probably something that would be nice to have.

I won't be working on any new features for awhile. Just going to let this new version settle in a bit, address any bugs and work on other projects for awhile.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:26 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

Before you head off into the TW sunset for a while, can we standardize the license costs for sysops new at 2.0? There will likely be some demand for it, and it would be nice to have somewhere to point people.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:56 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Admin

Standardize?

Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:51 pm
Profile WWW
Lance Corporal

John Pritchett wrote:
The way that's normally done is by creating an Observer account in each game. You can log in and fly around in a special, invincible ship. I don't think there's a way to leave messages to the admin, though. That's probably something that would be nice to have.

I won't be working on any new features for awhile. Just going to let this new version settle in a bit, address any bugs and work on other projects for awhile.

ok. also, can you change the name for my license?
I am no longer with universal life church. I went catholic and am now
St Benedict Mission
please capitalize it the same.
thanks

Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:52 pm
Veteran Op

John Pritchett wrote:
Standardize?

Yeh, come up with something quotable, lol, if you can.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:46 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Admin

Game slots are $2 each, Nodes are $3 each.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:35 am
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

John Pritchett wrote:
Game slots are $2 each, Nodes are $3 each.

That means someone that wants to buy a 100 node license
needs to pay $300? You're going to create a black market
for resold 1.03 keys if you do that. You might want to have
a flat full server pricing.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:07 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Admin

Nobody needs 100 nodes. We've gone over this before. But ok, I'll put something in there that says "contact EIS for bulk pricing" or something like that. Seriously, though, who needs 100 nodes? Can any machine today even handle 100 nodes? This pricing is an improvement for 99% of the people who may buy the software. And though it might make sense to have adaptive pricing to support lower costs for higher node counts, I opted to keep it simple, something I didn't do with the last version. This pricing model is ultra simple.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:09 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

Nobody may need 100 sustained nodes, but nobody
knows what their burst node needs will be. A
game with 40 players might need 60 slots to handle
relogs, other games, etc. 100 nodes is high enough
that people don't have to worry about node count.
One less thing to worry about.

Maybe offer discount tiers at 20, 50, and 100 nodes?
Might bring in more money that way.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:17 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Admin

I actually sold more 4 node registrations than 100 node registrations with the previous pricing. That was $60 for 4 nodes. To save $20, people were fine with having just 4 nodes. With the new pricing, you can have a total of 10 game slots and 15 nodes for that same $60. Or you can have 4 game slots and 4 nodes for just $20. It's a better deal.

This is such a theoretical argument. Who today is going to come in and say "I need to support a huge number of players"? If they think they're going to do that, they're overestimating the player pool. The need for large sites is gone now. My goal in this release is to make the game accessible to local players and small groups who might have found the earlier pricing too burdensome. I don't expect to sell many registrations at all. I expect the vast majority of people who install the game to be satisfied with the free access. And I consider those to be people who would not have been paying customers in the first place, and the benefit is that more people are exposed to the game this way. And for the rare case when someone is convinced they need a large server, I'd rather deal with them on a case-by-case basis. Honestly, I've always been open to making special arrangements with customers who approach me. I'm not Microsoft.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:08 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Here's what I mean when I say it just gets too complicated. I'd like to say "order by the slot/node or order the maximum package". So you could buy as many slots and nodes as you like at $2 and $3 each, or you can just buy it all for, say, $60. Now the question becomes, how do I deal with previous registrations? A lite registration was $60 for TW Gold plus 4 nodes. Does that mean I should automatically upgrade all Lite registrations to 100 nodes? Is that fair to those who registered the full version for $80? So maybe I could make the max registration $80 to match the full version cost from before. Now what do I do with someone who already has 25 slots and 4 nodes, a Lite registration? Do I charge $80 to get them to max reg? Or do I charge the original upgrade cost of $20 to get from 4 nodes to 100? Or do I just say that Lite registration owners are only allowed to purchase additional slots and nodes, but not to buy a max registration? Maybe you only have that option when you're starting out. I don't know. The reality is that it's just a mess. To try to make it fair for those who registered before while also making it easier to get started with the game is a challenge. I'm open to specific suggestions, but I promise you, I've gone over and over this for many hours.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:27 am
Profile WWW
Staff Sergeant

Well if someone new decides to start up a mock Ultimate TW replacement server they are definitely going to near to the full amount of available nodes.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." ~ H. L. Mencken

Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next