View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Balancing building vs. hunting 
Site Admin

Unread post Re: Balancing building vs. hunting
Not seeing the image. But yeah, this is something I've explored. I've prototyped a weapon that would jump from sector to sector destroying fighters as it goes, forking out into multiple paths until a random number of figs have been consumed. If you have a large blanket of single figs, it could rip through a wide space. But it won't be that effective against larger deployments of fighters. The cost of the weapon would be based on the average number of fighters that it might consume, but depending on how it's used, it could do far more or far less damage.

I don't think we're ready to drop something like this in yet. But it's a possibility.

But in general, I agree with Mongoose. We need to shake things up because the game has become too one-dimensional.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:15 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

Mongoose wrote:
And then what? The minute you tow it out, your figs go rogue.

Don't tow it out. You need to actually spend some time in competitive games gridding to understand why this would work.

Mongoose wrote:
And then that can be balanced by limiting the turns. The point is to eliminate gridding as the be-all, end-all, game-winning strategy, and bring it back to building vs. hunting.

And you would not accomplish that end with this approach.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:49 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Veteran Op

Master Blaster wrote:
A little off handed but what's really needed is a new weapon. A weapon that can clear the figs from the sector you're in and all the surrounding sectors with one hit.

Perfect, you do that. As soon as I see the weapon go off, I'll have a script to pgrid right next to you and fire a photon. I would not need to guess, it's very simple to determine this sort of thing (as my mine-sweeper photon script can prove). I would actually love to see this in a game, it would bring about a whole new set of script war tactics ;).

Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:51 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Gameop

Singularity wrote:
Master Blaster wrote:
A little off handed but what's really needed is a new weapon. A weapon that can clear the figs from the sector you're in and all the surrounding sectors with one hit.

Perfect, you do that. As soon as I see the weapon go off, I'll have a script to pgrid right next to you and fire a photon. I would not need to guess, it's very simple to determine this sort of thing (as my mine-sweeper photon script can prove). I would actually love to see this in a game, it would bring about a whole new set of script war tactics ;).

When was the last time you manually played a game?

Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:47 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Veteran Op

Singularity wrote:

Yea no one would ever think of firing and jumping out using a script. Or possibly lift, fire, land and leave. :)
I just know everyone that uses it will sit there waiting to see what happens next, I know I would.

There are games out there that people actually play just to have fun and mess with each other, without the pressure of win or lose. Would be nice to see some additions to the game with some new type weapons and or ship options. Change is good....most of the time.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:55 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Site Admin

Singularity wrote:
Master Blaster wrote:

Who says you have to get a message? You're a very smart person, Sing, but it sometimes amazes me how static your thinking is about this game and the options we have to deal with tactics like this.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

John Pritchett wrote:
Who says you have to get a message? You're a very smart person, Sing, but it sometimes amazes me how static your thinking is about this game and the options we have to deal with tactics like this.

Oh even better, I can calculate the most optimal paths to send these things and destroy my enemy's grid w/o them ever having a chance to stop me! Yes, by all means, do that. :) hehe...

Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:50 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Veteran Op

Master Blaster wrote:
When was the last time you manually played a game?

Never. I have never played a game without the use of at least some kind of macro or script. Even back in the mid-90s, I used telemate macros and scripts.

I have no sympathy for manual players, and I have no desire to play manually.

Last edited by Singularity on Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:51 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Veteran Op

T0yman wrote:
Yea no one would ever think of firing and jumping out using a script. Or possibly lift, fire, land and leave. :)
I just know everyone that uses it will sit there waiting to see what happens next, I know I would.

Muhaha... script wars!

I've seen the same thing with mine disrupters, but I still have a lot of fun torping them. You'd be surprised how easy it is. I've got an entire set of planet-invasion scripts for stuff like this (detect a planet, pgrid in, use bots to get a rider on their planet, chase it, kill it), too. Script wars rock.

Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:53 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Admin

Any major change is going to have ripple effects and require other changes to bring things back into balance. I know that providing a weapon to bust grids will unbalance the game. I'm not ready to do it. There's a reason people are gridding. It's not for giggles. You can't take that away without shifting the balance. But gridding just isn't good for the game. At some point, it may just be best to eliminate it, then figure out where to go from there.

Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:43 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

John Pritchett wrote:
But gridding just isn't good for the game. At some point, it may just be best to eliminate it, then figure out where to go from there.

Perhaps consider random elimination of x% sector deployed figs not over an L1 or better citadel - or somesuch filter condition, or no more than y% of the Universe can be figged, at extern?

Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:52 am
Gameop

How about this. Figs expire after a preset amount of time in any sector without a planet? Make is sysop configurable.

Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:28 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Admin

These are all worth considering. I'm just not quite ready to tackle this yet.

Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:03 pm
Profile WWW
Commander

Singularity wrote:
Don't tow it out. You need to actually spend some time in competitive games gridding to understand why this would work.

So you're going to spend several thousand credits per sector to grid a significant portion of the universe? I don't think so.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:09 am
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

Mongoose wrote:
So you're going to spend several thousand credits per sector to grid a significant portion of the universe? I don't think so.

Yes, I do that all the time when I drop mines. I don't think you've seen much modern corp play.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:35 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next