View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:30 am

Forum rules

This is not an area to debate the pros and cons of proposed features. It is an area for people to suggest new features for either TW or TWGS. I will either add the proposed feature to my planned features list, or explain my reasons for passing on the feature at this time. Features added to the list can be voted on so I can gauge people's interest.

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Proposed features list 

Which feature would you like to see implemented next?
Truce modes (TW) 33%  33%  [ 9 ]
TWA Signing/repository (TWGS) 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Little Bang (TW) 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Activity charting (TWGS) 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Gold active alien editor (TW) 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Remote admin game settings (TWGS) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Scaled Costs (TW) 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
Limit Fighter Deployment (TW) 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
Jumpgate Features (TWGS) 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
Buyout Limits (TW) 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 27

Proposed features list 
Site Admin

Unread post Proposed features list
I will maintain the list of proposed features here in the form of a poll. Please vote on the feature you are most interested in seeing implemented next. As features are implemented, I will remove them from the list and add new ones taken from suggestions posted in this forum. Only ten features will be listed for voting at any one time.

Please do not debate these features in this thread. If you want to discuss a proposed feature, start a thread in this forum to discuss it. And please, limit the discussions to details of the feature, not arguments for or against it.

I will delete any member posts to this thread. I will personally post a description of each proposed feature on this thread as it is added to the list, and delete it as it is removed. If a suggested feature remains on this list for a long period of time, it may be removed to make room for other feature requests.

Please note that I don't guarantee that all features will be implemented, or that they will be implemented in this order. Some features are more complex and labor-intensive than others, and may be difficult to fit in at a particular time, while others that may not be high on the list may be simple enough that they can be quickly implemented. The list is merely a way for me to get a feel for the features members are most interested in seeing.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:59 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Unread post Truce modes (TW)
Truce modes (TW)

Truce mode rules will help gameops to provide games where combat and invasions are restricted. Truce mode options can apply for the entire game, or be turned off after a given number of days. Options will include no PvP (player combat), no base invasion, etc.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:26 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Unread post TWA Signing/repository (TWGS)
TWA Signing/repository (TWGS)

A repository for TW archive files (TWA) will be maintained on the EIS server. TWAs created in TWGS can be signed and submitted to the repository. Visitors to the repository can download signed TWAs, as well as review TWAs and read the reviews of others. This peer review system will make it easier for gameops to find the best, most popular and time-tested edits to run on their systems.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:29 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Unread post Little Bang (TW)
Little Bang (TW)

As an option of BigBang, an op may choose to randomize the galaxy without resetting any game data. Two proposed methods are being considered at this time. One, scramble every sector. Two, maintain nebular regions but scramble them relative to one-another, while scrambling all non-nebular sectors. This feature will allow a gameop to "cook" an edit, adding ships, aliens, fighters, etc, after a bang, then submitting this edit as a TWA for other ops to use. By choosing to scramble rather than rebang, a game can be made fresh, while retaining all of the assets that were placed by the op.

All user records will be purged, with any assets owned by users turning rogue, abandoned, etc.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:35 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Unread post Activity charting (TWGS)
Activity charting (TWGS)

TWGS will maintain a database of all activity on the server over a specified period. This data will be used to generate charts showing player activity over a day, week, month, year, or all time.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:36 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Unread post Gold active alien editor (TW)
Gold active alien editor (TW)

Add an editor to TEDIT for viewing and modifying active Gold aliens. This editor will also provide an overview of the state of each Gold alien race.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:38 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Unread post Remote admin game settings (TWGS)
Remote admin game settings (TWGS)

A sub-screen of the Remote Command Menu where some settings for a game can be viewed and modified. Proposed settings include game title, admin and game password, extern time, and scheduled start time.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:44 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Unread post Re: Proposed features list
Scaled Costs (TW)

This TEDIT feature will offer a set of recommended costs for assets in the game. The costs will be scaled based on the number of turns per day.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:05 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Limit Fighter Deployment (TW)

This TEDIT setting will enforce a limitation on the number of sectors a player or corporation can deploy fighters into.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:07 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Jumpgate Features (TWGS)

The Jumpgate website is functional and TWGS owners can activate their Jumpgate listing. The current list is a simple line-by-line list of active sites, including the site name, a short description, telnet address, website and email address. But this is just a starting point.

The primary goal of Jumpgate will be to provide players with the ability to identify particular kinds of games and locate games about to open. I would also like to allow players to request particular game styles so that gameops can meet their needs. Eventually, I'd like to provide an area for each site and each game showing current game states as well as final results for finished games.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:13 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Buyout Limits (TW)

This TEDIT setting will limit a team's ability to buy out all of the ships in the game, thereby locking out players who are #SD#. The feature would, in general, limit teams from depleting records from any game file.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:18 pm
Profile WWW
Ensign

This isn't the answer you were looking for but I think it's time that we do something about the loss of players.
One of the biggest problems I see is that there is no easy way for new players to jump in and play.
First they have to be motivated to play. There are no advertisements of the game anywhere that most people go. In essence there no one getting the word out.
Second they need Swath or Zoc or another telnet program. This means that they have to know where to look for it and download it.
Third they need TWX, again they have to find it, download it and install it.
-They get this far and- it doesn't work. They have windows 7 or 8 - worse Vista. -
Okay now they understand they may need another program to use the others. Can you see what I'm saying? This happens before they get a chance to play.

We need a good telnet program that covers these bases, and a way to get out the word that TW is out here. A one piece telnet program that works on new systems and can interface with scripts.

Zip

Last edited by zipp on Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:24 pm
Commander

One of the major goals of my helper was to combine the user friendliness of SWATH with the power of TWX. The first version was rushed and didn't live up to my expectations. The second version is pretty sweet, but I still have a lot of work to do. I need to win the lottery so I can quit my day job.

Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:23 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]