View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 twgs beta 
Veteran Op

Unread post Re: twgs beta (whatever version it is now)
John, I wanted to let you know since I forgot yesterday.

The copy I have that is working (BigBang) is running under WinXP Pro, the version that I have tried several times and not working is running under Win7 Pro 64bit.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:04 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Site Admin

Ok, I will do some additional testing with Win 7. Thanks!

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:33 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Well, I tested a Win 7 64 bit home premium and didn't experience any of these issues. How many CPUs do you have on that system?

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:34 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

I am also seeing this on Server 2008 R2, which is the same core OS as Windows 7.

Processor is Xeon 5110 x2 (4 Cores Total), 1.60GHz and 8GB Ram.

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Last edited by Micro on Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:58 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Veteran Op

I am running a AMD Phenom Quad-Core on both machines.

Laptop = AMD Phenom(tm) II N950 Quad-Core 2.10Ghz @ 4Gig Ram
Desktop = AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 3.21Ghz @ 4Gig Ram

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:10 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Gameop

I am runningg Windows 7 Ultimate 64, with a AMD Phenom II Quad Core with 3.2 Gig on the processor. 8 Gigs of ram. Gave most of the info on the computer just to be safe.

Forum and site down for now.
my Email is vulcan219@comcast.net now

Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:42 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Ambassador

On mine, it will run about 1 in 10 attempts.

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:12 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Gameop

John Pritchett wrote:
Oh, on the point of speeding up movement, I actually won't be doing that in TWGS v2.14. It is coming, but I just want to get this out asap while I have a window of time to work on it here. I do want to provide more flexibility on setting the speed of movement, as long as gameops understand that anything under the recommended 250 ms/move is "overclocking" and may cause instability. My biggest concern for allowing it right now is the fact that anyone who chooses to run faster moves will no longer be able to provide me with reliable bug reports, because I can't tell to what extent those fast moves are causing the bugs, either directly or indirectly through data corruption, etc. But you know, 250 ms/move is the speed that TWGS v1.03 runs at, so I don't understand all the fuss.

JP, can you elaborate on this point?
Does the Server add 250ms to every move?

I've done some extensive speed/time test's (large data pools) both for Scripting (gridding,torping,pdroping) purposes as well as colonist regeneration cycles. I have allways wondered if this is a limit imposed on ship movement only?

Since I have your ear, how does the server process user command packets (First come - First serve, in batchs)? Rather is there a accepted standard you coded by that I can read up on that it conforms to?

ICQ#31380757, -=English 101 pwns me=-
"This one claims to have been playing since 1993 and didn't know upgrading a port would raise his alignment."

Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:39 am
Profile ICQ
Veteran Op

Kaus wrote:
I've done some extensive speed/time test's (large data pools) both for Scripting (gridding,torping,pdroping) purposes as well as colonist regeneration cycles. I have always wondered if this is a limit imposed on ship movement only?

There are setting for each now in the Z menu in T-Edit, so each movement is configurable. The move was in one version set to minimum 25ms and it was not stable, I played a lot with it to find that around 70ms would be usable. But JP for the time being decided to put it back to 250ms, which is the same as the game has always been. But recently he talked about giving a lower option in a future release.
Attachment:
Timing.png
Timing.png [ 34.15 KiB | Viewed 13044 times ]

Kaus wrote:
Since I have your ear, how does the server process user command packets (First come - First serve, in batchs)? Rather is there a accepted standard you coded by that I can read up on that it conforms to?

I know the one thing that has been changed is, it used to be if you started hitting someone with 1000 single figs the other person would be stuck until the attack ended (depending on CPC). The new version had a change made that gives a person a chance to fire back if they are in the middle of a battle.

Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:18 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Gameop

T0yman wrote:
Kaus wrote:
I've done some extensive speed/time test's (large data pools) both for Scripting (gridding,torping,pdroping) purposes as well as colonist regeneration cycles. I have always wondered if this is a limit imposed on ship movement only?

There are setting for each now in the Z menu in T-Edit, so each movement is configurable. The move was in one version set to minimum 25ms and it was not stable, I played a lot with it to find that around 70ms would be usable. But JP for the time being decided to put it back to 250ms, which is the same as the game has always been. But recently he talked about giving a lower option in a future release.
Attachment:
Timing.png

Kaus wrote:

I know the one thing that has been changed is, it used to be if you started hitting someone with 1000 single figs the other person would be stuck until the attack ended (depending on CPC). The new version had a change made that gives a person a chance to fire back if they are in the middle of a battle.

I prolly should download the new server and update via my codes. That said I have allways wondered if the Commmands Per Cycle processed individually or in batches.

I.e.
1) Is a series of commands like move/land/move considered 3 commands server side?
2) How does command/packet segmentation affect the server?
3) In the above example with a CPC of 1 would it therefore be 3 server cycles and how does that affect latency?
4) Do you have a reference for a more indepth dissection of how the server treat's two seperate packets carrying one command with a packet from another player inbetween the two?

--Some of these answers I have working theories on via serious data samples but it would be nice to have confirmation of my theories. I realize were talking minor MS incriment's here, but it all add's up.

These questions relate specifically with burst macro's vs individual commands and the affects of using a * vs enter, etc..

ICQ#31380757, -=English 101 pwns me=-
"This one claims to have been playing since 1993 and didn't know upgrading a port would raise his alignment."

Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:36 pm
Profile ICQ
Veteran Op

Kaus wrote:
I.e.
1) Is a series of commands like move/land/move considered 3 commands server side?
2) How does command/packet segmentation affect the server?
3) In the above example with a CPC of 1 would it therefore be 3 server cycles and how does that affect latency?
4) Do you have a reference for a more indepth dissection of how the server treat's two seperate packets carrying one command with a packet from another player inbetween the two?

--Some of these answers I have working theories on via serious data samples but it would be nice to have confirmation of my theories. I realize were talking minor MS incriment's here, but it all add's up.

These questions relate specifically with burst macro's vs individual commands and the affects of using a * vs enter, etc..

1. If you crank up the delay on each you will see clearly that yes it is 3 moves. Just messing I set 500ms move, 500ms land. Move/Land/Move took 1.5 seconds.
2. Not sure, never messed with it enough to get results.
3. Depends on if others are on the server, then each person gets a cycle. Try doing a buydown with a CPC < 4 :)
4. There were a few posts back when JP & Sing were working on the specific timing. Not sure if that ever got completely resolved, but I know they worked on it for a while.

Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:08 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Ensign

T0yman wrote:
move/land/move

I don't get it.. what's move/land/move. Wouldn't it be move/land/lift/move? Or you never actually land?

Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:53 pm
Veteran Op

Hotblack Desiato wrote:
T0yman wrote:
move/land/move

I don't get it.. what's move/land/move. Wouldn't it be move/land/lift/move? Or you never actually land?

Yea but since I did not put a delay in for lifting and that was never adressed by the person who ask I only answered the delay part :) But yes of course I lifted.. lol

Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:00 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Ensign

T0yman wrote:
since I did not put a delay in for lifting

oh now i get it ... lol i was thinking you would say there`s no planet in the sector so no need to lift

Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:03 pm
Veteran Op

Hotblack Desiato wrote:
T0yman wrote:
since I did not put a delay in for lifting

oh now i get it ... lol i was thinking you would say there`s no planet in the sector so no need to lift

HAHA.... nah I did go back and look and Land/Lift is the same delay so Move/Land/Lift/Move is 2 seconds using a 500ms delay on those settings. I wanted to play with actual time so I decided to write a simple script to verify. But thanks for asking otherwise I might not have noticed.

Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:53 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next