View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Times Blown Up 
Site Admin

Unread post Re: Times Blown Up
The death limit should work like it did in v1.03. There was no intention to change it. Let's make sure we get it back on track.

I did make changes to how Terra colos are handled. I considered that a bug. It was not intended behavior for planet ore capacity to be the limiting factor on how many colos you could put on Terra. There is a setting for max colos on Terra, and that should hold regardless of what planet you're using. The problem here is that Terra uses planet fields in an unconventional way, and I just needed to clean that up.

As for the rounding, I changed to a percent rather than an actual colo regen count. You can still set the colo regen count, but it's stored as a percent, which makes it follow the max colo capacity. If you have max cap at 100,000 and regen at 1000 per day, then you up the capacity to 1,000,000, you really need the regen per day to increase accordingly. Otherwise, what's the point in increasing it? Of course you can still turn down the regen rate if you want, but I felt that it was more functional to regen by percent than amount.

The round amount depends on the capacity of Terra colos. If it's set to 100,000,000, the minimum regen percent of 0.01% is 10,000. Regardless of how big Colo regen is, 0.01% is 0.01%, a small number compared to the max. If it's set at 100,000,000, are you going to sweat over 10,000 vs 5,000? But if it's set to 100,000, then you can change regen in increments of 10.

I know it's different, but while I was making changes here to fix bugs, I wanted to also switch to a regen percentage rather than a static amount.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:26 am
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

John Pritchett wrote:
The death limit should work like it did in v1.03. There was no intention to change it. Let's make sure we get it back on track.

OK, works as designed "BROKE". If you set a limit of 10 it should = 10, not 10+ how many pods can a player can go through before someone actually gets a player #SD#. So some players get 10 and some get 50 depending on how a player uses them. So in a tournament this sounds fair?

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:38 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Commander

T0yman wrote:
John Pritchett wrote:

OK, works as designed "BROKE". If you set a limit of 10 it should = 10, not 10+ how many pods can a player can go through before someone actually gets a player #SD#. So some players get 10 and some get 50 depending on how a player uses them. So in a tournament this sounds fair?

Broke is right .. as I said .. 'Please send me $10 .. I will let you know when to stop sending .. cause my bank account will hold a lot ...'

So does 10 mean 10 .. or till bank is full ?
I took math many years ago , and I agree when J.P. told me to send $85 for the software I only had to meet that limit once.
Why should the game in tournament mode be any different ?
10 = 10

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Ka Pla

Winners of Gridwars 2010
MBN Fall Tournament 2011 winners Team Kraaken
Undisputed Champions of 2019 HHT Just for showing up!

The Oldist , Longist Running , Orginal Registered Owner of a TWGS server :
Vids World On Guam

Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:21 pm
Profile WWW
Gameop

I thought it was fixed on V2 but the death limit is very inconvenient, and for the purposes of tournaments I'd hope you reconsider fixing it.
If you set a death limit of 10, but the player can keep returning for deaths 11-infinity until #SD# it kinda defeats the death limits.
I'd like to see it set so that after 10 (or whatever the setting is) deaths, the player can no longer interact with the game.

http://www.twsubspace.com <-- Expired
Teamspeak 3 50.23.212.53:4196 <-- Expired
Just a has been now.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:34 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

Everyone always consider the fact that you could go past the death limit a bug. So now it's a feature? I would think it would be an easy fix. When a player is blown up, the game checks the following:
If "Times blown up" > death limit
then "Player #" = #ship destroyed# and "ship #" = "N/A"

Maybe a server side script that checks every minute or so if JP decides this is a feature?

Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:00 pm
Site Admin

Ok, I just need to get on the same page. I didn't realize that the v1.03 behavior was under debate. I don't recall making a change to it with v2. But I'm open to doing that, but also supporting both modes so nobody gets left out. Probably would want to default to v1.03 behavior, though, for consistency.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:24 pm
Profile WWW
Gameop

John Pritchett wrote:
Ok, I just need to get on the same page. I didn't realize that the v1.03 behavior was under debate. I don't recall making a change to it with v2. But I'm open to doing that, but also supporting both modes so nobody gets left out. Probably would want to default to v1.03 behavior, though, for consistency.

It is the way it behaves on V1.03, and we're asking for that to be changed on V2.17+
You are correct, it appears it was never changed in V2 but somehow we thought it had been.
Personally I don't want both "modes" I simply want Death Limit to stop them from entering the game once it's reached.
I see no reason to have the v1.03 behavior left as a feature.

http://www.twsubspace.com <-- Expired
Teamspeak 3 50.23.212.53:4196 <-- Expired
Just a has been now.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:02 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

If you set it to use the new mode, then you won't have "that mode" in your games. But someone like Big D (assuming he ever plays this version) may prefer the original version. It's not my goal to take away functionality, just to add more flexibility. This isn't a bug. That's how it was designed to work. But we can look at alternative ways to enforce Death Delay for newer games.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:08 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

Runaway Proton wrote:
Personally I don't want both "modes" I simply want Death Limit to stop them from entering the game once it's reached.
I see no reason to have the v1.03 behavior left as a feature.

I believe this is what everyone is saying, i think might be using a little sarcasm :) 1.03 was always considered a bug, let's end that in the new version and make it like it should have always been. You hit the limit and your gone, whether it be instant or extern, there needs to be a better method of using this option.

I have tried scripting it to check on a loop, and if ($deaths >= "10") / delete player by sending "!", the player does not actually delete, it removes name and player can still move around in the game with no name showing in the # listing. Of course this might be another bug. Since I figured once I delete a player active in the game they would disappear, but this is not the case.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:14 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Veteran Op

John Pritchett wrote:
If you set it to use the new mode, then you won't have "that mode" in your games. But someone like Big D (assuming he ever plays this version) may prefer the original version.

Actually I always thought of it as a bug, but it was all we had to work with for years so we made do with what we had.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:16 pm
Ambassador

While we're discussing the death limit... Should it really count as two deaths when you get podded and then killed?

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:27 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Veteran Op

Micro wrote:
While we're discussing the death limit... Should it really count as two deaths when you get podded and then killed?

It is technically called "Times Blown Up" not "Times Ship Destroyed" so if your in a pod your ship got blown up.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:29 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Ambassador

Can you imagine how much longer a tournament would last if it was actually kills?

That would be a real pain in the .... wouldn't it?

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:38 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Veteran Op

Micro wrote:
Can you imagine how much longer a tournament would last if it was actually kills?

That would be a real pain in the .... wouldn't it?

I would agree, and I think that is why most of us would like to see this change in place..... and hopefully before the next tournament on v2 software. :roll:

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:39 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Site Admin

I never anticipated a gameop deleting a player's account while he's actually playing the game. I guess there is a need for a function to boot the player out of the game and also to lock the player out. I'll look into that, but I'll also make sure death limit is working better.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:02 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next