View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Photon Missile vs Photon Torpedo 
Site Admin

Unread post Photon Missile vs Photon Torpedo
How much would it mess people up if I made references to the Photon Missile consistent throughout the game? There are several places where it's refered to as Photon Torpedo, but the proper name is Photon Missile. Should I just leave it alone? Or would it be harmless to fix it?

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:16 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

Unread post Re: Photon Missile vs Photon Torpedo
This is a Star Trek / Star Wars thing right?

I've always referred to it as a ptorp myself. I think a lot of players do.

BOTE 1998 Champs: Team Fament
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team
HHT 2018 Champs: Rock Stars
Big Game 2019 Champs: Draft Team

Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://crunchers-twgs.com:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/4dja5Z8
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW

Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:50 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Commander

Cruncher wrote:
This is a Star Trek / Star Wars thing right?

I've always referred to it as a ptorp myself. I think a lot of players do.

I think just as many player refer to this a foton .. and do not even consider missile or torp ..

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Ka Pla

Winners of Gridwars 2010
MBN Fall Tournament 2011 winners Team Kraaken
Undisputed Champions of 2019 HHT Just for showing up!

The Oldist , Longist Running , Orginal Registered Owner of a TWGS server :
Vids World On Guam

Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:56 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

But I think the question is what could it affect.

Counter Torps? Depending on the trigger it is looking for.
LSD Shopper? If buying fotons, what trigger.
Scripts that are setup if you fire a foton and your corpie is waiting on a trigger to warp in off that message.

Couple small examples. I am guessing it could break some scripts that are typical offensive type scripts, but most of the ones I have seen only key on the word photon.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:26 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Commander

T0yman wrote:

Scripts that are setup if you fire a foton and your corpie is waiting on a trigger to warp in off that message.

Couple small examples. I am guessing it could break some scripts that are typical offensive type scripts, but most of the ones I have seen only key on the word photon.

As with all the changes that are being sought after
like game word changes , well that will only give a much larger advantage to the script writers over the users.
Because the writers can adapt while the users suffer that much more.
This will further hurt the player base more then anything in the past.

I do not want to tell anyone how to develop their software , I'm just pointing out
that if you changed words in a game to reflect the same thing in klingon for example .. then the scripter who makes his scripts trigger on the words
he will wipe the others out with little to no problems.

I think its nice to put theme into game .. but does anyone recall how theme changes effected the SpaceBall edit ?
and that was just the renaming of Rylos , Alpha and Sol ...
Maybe I should just ask the reds .. how did your wsst work ?
did it choke on the refurbing locations ?

Just one example of how this gives a scripter an advantage on steroids.

I have always wanted to level the playing field a bit .. but is this going too far ?
Lets keep to the bug fixes and tourney enhancements , leave the game
intact.

my 2¢

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Winners of Gridwars 2010

Vids World On Guam

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:46 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

This has nothing to do with leveling the playing field. This has to do with an many requests from gameops to be able to customize their games. Those who want to do this tend not to be the people who are running games in which scripters are active. I don't see it as a problem.

As I've said many times, I see far more of the active TW community than others here do. And I make decisions about what I do with the game based on that overall vision, not just on the three or four major public servers.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:24 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

I think it's a great idea. I like the this word translation thing too. Maybe if we change enough text in the game we can eliminate scripts all together. If we make enough changes maybe we can even eliminate helpers too.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:29 pm
Lieutenant Commander

Vid Kid wrote:
T0yman wrote:

As with all the changes that are being sought after
like game word changes , well that will only give a much larger advantage to the script writers over the users.
Because the writers can adapt while the users suffer that much more.
This will further hurt the player base more then anything in the past.

I do not want to tell anyone how to develop their software , I'm just pointing out
that if you changed words in a game to reflect the same thing in klingon for example .. then the scripter who makes his scripts trigger on the words
he will wipe the others out with little to no problems.

I think its nice to put theme into game .. but does anyone recall how theme changes effected the SpaceBall edit ?
and that was just the renaming of Rylos , Alpha and Sol ...
Maybe I should just ask the reds .. how did your wsst work ?
did it choke on the refurbing locations ?

Just one example of how this gives a scripter an advantage on steroids.

I have always wanted to level the playing field a bit .. but is this going too far ?
Lets keep to the bug fixes and tourney enhancements , leave the game
intact.

my 2¢

Vid, well said!!!!!

Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:38 pm
Profile ICQ
Lieutenant Commander

John Pritchett wrote:
This has nothing to do with leveling the playing field. This has to do with an many requests from gameops to be able to customize their games. Those who want to do this tend not to be the people who are running games in which scripters are active. I don't see it as a problem.

As I've said many times, I see far more of the active TW community than others here do. And I make decisions about what I do with the game based on that overall vision, not just on the three or four major public servers.

Iam interested to here more about these other active communities? The people in this forum are about as addicted to your game as it gets, and you use the people in this forum to help debug your game and they try and help and explain what problems would be caused by those kinda changes, and seems like you arent interested in what they have to say?

Last edited by TheButcher on Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:47 pm
Profile ICQ
Veteran Op

I say we should give JP all the room he needs and let him make all the changes he feels is necessary. Then we can look at the final version and decide if it's worth playing or not. You know the old saying, "give him the rope he needs".

Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:54 pm
Commander

TheButcher wrote:
John Pritchett wrote:

Iam interested to here more about these other active communities? The people in this forum are about as addicted to your game as it gets, and you use the people in this forum to help debug your game and they try and help and explain what problems would be cause by those kinda changes, and seems like you aren't interested in what they have to say?

Butcher , I think the problem goes way back .. J.P. is a programer and probably would do well with twx if he were to play on the so many server he must have lists of .. so he can get real life experiences of the games.
And when he changes a word .. sees how he will deal with it and how others will suffer with only having a .cts of a script or a broken helper.

The masses he talks about .. well the internet is huge and the people you might talk to may not really be that pretty blond in the photo they have up on their site. So who really knows if all the comments he gets on face book are individuals and not multi account holders ?
I have maybe 5 gmail accounts .. I think having multi face book accounts is possible too.

I would use this forum to do a head count , they are the active ones.
HVS users do not count , I'm sorry .. they live too far in the past and the software was never Johns .. so who cares ..
But what do I know .. (not intended as a smack , just a observation)
in hopes of opening a few eyes to the cause and effects.

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Winners of Gridwars 2010

Vids World On Guam

Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:05 am
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander

Vid Kid wrote:
TheButcher wrote:
John Pritchett wrote:

Iam interested to here more about these other active communities? The people in this forum are about as addicted to your game as it gets, and you use the people in this forum to help debug your game and they try and help and explain what problems would be cause by those kinda changes, and seems like you aren't interested in what they have to say?

Butcher , I think the problem goes way back .. J.P. is a programer and probably would do well with twx if he were to play on the so many server he must have lists of .. so he can get real life experiences of the games.
And when he changes a word .. sees how he will deal with it and how others will suffer with only having a .cts of a script or a broken helper.

The masses he talks about .. well the internet is huge and the people you might talk to may not really be that pretty blond in the photo they have up on their site. So who really knows if all the comments he gets on face book are individuals and not multi account holders ?
I have maybe 5 gmail accounts .. I think having multi face book accounts is possible too.

I would use this forum to do a head count , they are the active ones.
HVS users do not count , I'm sorry .. they live too far in the past and the software was never Johns .. so who cares ..
But what do I know .. (not intended as a smack , just a observation)
in hopes of opening a few eyes to the cause and effects.

John Pritchett wrote:
Yeah, I agree with this. I've always felt that ztm is a horribly inefficient way to get this info. If players (some players) are going to get it anyway, why not just give it to them with the minimum amount of server load?

Sorry for going off topic!

Its suggestions like this that really concern me vid!!!! Honestly, do you know what kinda of damage could be done with a ZTM before the game even starts? A killer like me would just murder people right out of the gate!!!!! Not only that, in a decent mid range-turn game you could grid out the doors to all the bubbles and would have complete control of the game in 15 minutes!!! Not only that someone could probe and find the classO's in less then 2 minutes!!! The problem is people dont know enough to understand the effects of the changes they are asking for!!

Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:15 am
Profile ICQ
Site Admin

So in summary, changing Photon Missile to Photon Torpedo would destroy the game?

Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:20 am
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

John Pritchett wrote:
So in summary, changing Photon Missile to Photon Torpedo would destroy the game?

No. One change won't destroy the game. However, considering the changes that have been made in the past, and the changes that are currently being discussed for the future, it will definitely put a damper on scripts and helpers.
As Vid said, it just puts more distance between scripters and non scripters.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:26 am
Commander

Quote:
Sorry for going off topic!

Its suggestions like this that really concern me vid!!!! Honestly, do you know what kinda of damage could be done with a ZTM before the game even starts? A killer like me would just murder people right out of the gate!!!!! Not only that, in a decent mid range-turn game you could grid out the doors to all the bubbles and would have complete control of the game in 15 minutes!!! Not only that someone could probe and find the classO's in less then 2 minutes!!! The problem is people dont know enough to understand the effects of the changes they are asking for!!

I agree with you here ..
I do not like to hand out the ztm .. I would rather those that want to do it ..do it instead of other things in the game.
As always , your choices will effect the game.
Given a ztm is like a canned game .. you know where to go .. so the end is sooo much closer for you then it is to them that do not know .

But a toggle for those who like faster games is ok with me too.
I just hate hearing noise about loads on the server ..
I may still be the only one left on a single core cpu now days.

I'm done with this , I'll let it play out now.
I'm beginning to feel the stress of helping w/o pay.

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Winners of Gridwars 2010

Vids World On Guam

Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:32 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next