View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 TW word translation 
Veteran Op

Unread post Re: TW word translation
Helix wrote:
I can see how this can open up whole new generations of games. A 3 games connected, 1 Federation, 1 Klingon, 1 Romulan. Each individually skinned with their own terminology..... Add the neutral zone...

H

In the Klingon universe all the text can be in Klingon language. In the Romulan text can be Romulan, etc. etc. That way we don't have to worry about those nasty traders using helpers. Wouldn't that be so cool. <s>

Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:32 am
Commander

Big D wrote:
Helix wrote:
I can see how this can open up whole new generations of games. A 3 games connected, 1 Federation, 1 Klingon, 1 Romulan. Each individually skinned with their own terminology..... Add the neutral zone...

H

In the Klingon universe all the text can be in Klingon language. In the Romulan text can be Romulan, etc. etc. That way we don't have to worry about those nasty traders using helpers. Wouldn't that be so cool. <s>

Big D , don't be like that ..
Its a good thing , a SysOp can put the time into translating the game to those languages and we all can get in and with a few keystrokes switch the language back to TradeWars and use our helpers and stuff , while others can read story lines and learn a new language.

D , you never complained about the game planet descriptions :
Quote:
Thick Oxygen/Nitrogen atmosphere. Specific gravity within 0.7 to 1.3 Earth normal.

verses :
Cit times and product needed .. (So_ProAnsiMaker script)

So if everyone wants to spend there time with story lines or coding a way to provide this .. let them to their fun , but be secure in the knowledge that with a few keystrokes you get what you want as well.

And I get what I want .. a stable nearly bug free tradewars game to enjoy!

Vid Kid/CareTaker

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Ka Pla

Winners of Gridwars 2010
MBN Fall Tournament 2011 winners Team Kraaken
Undisputed Champions of 2019 HHT Just for showing up!

The Oldist , Longist Running , Orginal Registered Owner of a TWGS server :
Vids World On Guam

Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:47 am
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

Vid Kid wrote:
And I get what I want .. a stable nearly bug free tradewars game to enjoy!

Vid Kid/CareTaker

If you click your heels together 3 times and keep repeating, "I want to go home.", then you might get your wish. It's just over the rainbow. <s>

Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:56 am
Ambassador

Big D wrote:
Helix wrote:

H

Its too bad. You had to have had imagination at some point or you never would have played TW for any length of time. What happened to you? Scripts, helpers and macros are not the game, they help play the game. If the game changes, the scripts, helpers and macros with change with it. Thats always been how it was, and its still how it is today.

H

I had to ask myself WWSGD?

Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:10 am
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

The question I have is what will this "new" game be called? Dark Realm? Tradewars Millinium? Moo Moo 2? Tradewars 3003?

Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:15 am
Ambassador

Big D wrote:
The question I have is what will this "new" game be called? Dark Realm? Tradewars Millinium? Moo Moo 2? Tradewars 3003?

TradeWars 2002 v2.xx LOL

H

I had to ask myself WWSGD?

Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:25 am
Profile WWW
Gameop

I have to say... this looks really cool.

I need to find time to play with Botlink and this.

Proud Sysop of ICE9 TWGS
Home of Building and Non Regulated Games
http://www.oregonsouth.com/ice9
telnet://ice9-tw.com:2002

Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:23 am
Site Admin

It's an extremely easy system for me to extend, so any time you find a word you want to translate, let me know and it'll be in the next update. All I have to do is tag a word with {T}Someword{t} and that word is automatically included in a translation list file in the next release. Then you'll be able to edit a text file (or do it through Botlink and TEDIT) to set a line like "Someword=Someotherword" and that's it. If the word isn't in your translation file, the {T}{t} is stripped and you won't notice anything. Or if the player toggles this off, the tags are ignored and all text is shown as standard.

I think some people are expecting this to allow you to translate every word in the game. It's not like that. It's selected words. You can make every reference to StarDock say "Babylon 5", but you can't translate every word to Italian or Klingon.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:33 am
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

John Pritchett wrote:
It's an extremely easy system for me to extend, so any time you find a word you want to translate, let me know and it'll be in the next update. All I have to do is tag a word with {T}Someword{t} and that word is automatically included in a translation list file in the next release. Then you'll be able to edit a text file (or do it through Botlink and TEDIT) to set a line like "Someword=Someotherword" and that's it. If the word isn't in your translation file, the {T}{t} is stripped and you won't notice anything. Or if the player toggles this off, the tags are ignored and all text is shown as standard.

I think some people are expecting this to allow you to translate every word in the game. It's not like that. It's selected words. You can make every reference to StarDock say "Babylon 5", but you can't translate every word to Italian or Klingon.

Would this be availble via XML type file? OR will be a hardcoded change for implementing? Giving the ability to use a XML file per game will free this up from it becoming your full time job for updates.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:56 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Site Admin

I will need to tag the words in code as we decide they're needed. But I've already tagged most of them in a few hours. It's not hard.

On the gameop's computer, the file is just a text file where you put "OriginalWord=NewWord". I don't think it needs to be xml. It's pretty basic.

Whenever a new version comes out with new words in the list, it'll merge into your existing translation file so you won't lose any of your translations. Words will never be removed, just added.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:22 pm
Profile WWW
Gameop

Helix wrote:
Its staggering.... Once you build in a way to connect the universes (ie individual games. (or botlink does it it.) Look out.

H

Botlink can do that. It's currently more of a suppliment but you can dump databases from botlink without the need to enter the game and then use that database to move the data to another game.

Much faster and precise than tedit, less waitfor's, and from some remedial testing it doesnt apear to have any impact on server times like multiple tedit scripts currently do. The only thing I'd really like to see in Botlink is a parameter funciton that is true or false depending on a realtime value.

I.e. Set a parameter for Sector 1000 to false. If player or event happens in Sector 1000 it switches to true. The icing on the cake would be some notification system that a backend script could interact with.

My vision is a sysop/s created third party plugin using a combination of botlink parameters and twx backend/tedit to enforce server rules. Or to allow players who hit predefined parameters to move to another galaxy or a cascade of events. Like winning a chess event where five planets are the prizes, if all five planets = same sector game is won and all players turns are set to 0 till sysop rebang. etc...

John Pritchett wrote:
I will need to tag the words in code as we decide they're needed. But I've already tagged most of them in a few hours. It's not hard.

On the gameop's computer, the file is just a text file where you put "OriginalWord=NewWord". I don't think it needs to be xml. It's pretty basic.

Whenever a new version comes out with new words in the list, it'll merge into your existing translation file so you won't lose any of your translations. Words will never be removed, just added.

You may have allready covered this but will it be per game? I.e. one Text file to one sym-linked game?

ICQ#31380757, -=English 101 pwns me=-
"This one claims to have been playing since 1993 and didn't know upgrading a port would raise his alignment."

Last edited by Kaus on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:58 pm
Profile ICQ
Site Admin

Yes, translation files are per-game.

There will be support for variables and even functions, so you'd be able to store a function, then reference it by name in a parameter. That's the goal, anyway. I'm basing much of my design here on the structure of the Torque script engine which I've been intimately using for about 8 years now, and it's a very powerful C-like script language with all the bells and whistles. My thinking is that I don't need to support a lot of language structure because the script-engine controlling it will provide that. But it will be useful (and more efficient) to be able to store values and even script blocks as variables to reference and pass as parameters.

The ability to write controllers to implement special victory conditions is low-hanging fruit for Botlink, I think. I'll implement a function on the game object that allows you to boot all players with a message and close the game, and that'll allow you to gracefully end the game on whatever end-game condition you've defined.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:35 pm
Profile WWW
Gameop

John Pritchett wrote:
Yes, translation files are per-game.

There will be support for variables and even functions, so you'd be able to store a function, then reference it by name in a parameter. That's the goal, anyway. I'm basing much of my design here on the structure of the Torque script engine which I've been intimately using for about 8 years now, and it's a very powerful C-like script language with all the bells and whistles. My thinking is that I don't need to support a lot of language structure because the script-engine controlling it will provide that. But it will be useful (and more efficient) to be able to store values and even script blocks as variables to reference and pass as parameters.

The ability to write controllers to implement special victory conditions is low-hanging fruit for Botlink, I think. I'll implement a function on the game object that allows you to boot all players with a message and close the game, and that'll allow you to gracefully end the game on whatever end-game condition you've defined.

I think the biggest challenge I've faced writing back-end scripts is multiple threads or scripts at the same time to produce a desired result. Using Ice9 as a example one could imagine he has a script to sweep, a script to welcome a player, a script to enforce events that can be caught by text triggers.. etc..

It gets very diluted and hard to control plus can have a heavy toll on the backend processing of the server since traditionally we've done it through Tedit. The blocks of variables would allow for a if command structure to be stored and forgotten about till it was called, no?

You mentioned writing a way to gracefully end a game, certainly that is warranted. I think allowing the sysop to script that event in a verbose scripting environment will allow for all kinds of imaginative ways to end a game. I do ask that when you write the function maybe allow for do nothing events or allow it to reference something else.

Heck in the proper hands with the proper code you could theoretically make it so winning conditions auto schedules a rebang for the game.

"This one claims to have been playing since 1993 and didn't know upgrading a port would raise his alignment."

Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:21 pm
Profile ICQ
Site Admin

Yes, I'd like to support that. I see no reason Botlink couldn't initiate a rebang.

I wonder if it would be helpful for Botlink to support two different connections, one for issuing commands and receiving results, and the other for receiving events. Or is it ok for everything to come in on the same line? If you issue a command, the result would come back first, then any events waiting to be displayed, so it wouldn't be a situation where you're potentially receiving an event at any time.

I think it would just be an event-driven system. You receive an event, you process until you're done dealing with that event, then you receive the next event.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:29 pm
Profile WWW
Gameop

John Pritchett wrote:
Yes, I'd like to support that. I see no reason Botlink couldn't initiate a rebang.

I wonder if it would be helpful for Botlink to support two different connections, one for issuing commands and receiving results, and the other for receiving events. Or is it ok for everything to come in on the same line? If you issue a command, the result would come back first, then any events waiting to be displayed, so it wouldn't be a situation where you're potentially receiving an event at any time.

I think it would just be an event-driven system. You receive an event, you process until you're done dealing with that event, then you receive the next event.

I'm unsure how I would tackle it but a serious issue I've always seen with a hypothetical truce mode is the lack of ability to catch it in real time.

For example if you stipulate no attacks vs. other players. You could:

1) Write a tedit or game entering bot to search logs for "so and so attacked so and so" flag it and process it from there.

2) Preferred method would be to have a parameter that when a player presses enter to attack another player the parameter in response executes a event as designed by the sysop.

The problem with version one is if you wanted to write a streamlined script to handle it you can't very well have the same script reading the logs and enforcing the truce effectively because there two entirely different actions. Then if you decide to put it on a timer, the entire game could be ruined by the time it has completed it's cycle.

Version 2 is much more appealing to me and I would assume other sysop's big and small. Current TWX can handle triggers within a main script, my fear is it would be cycling through a complex part of some code and miss the event if it was the same data stream.

The benefit of a two botlink command system would certainly be that you could write one script to continually do xyz. While another to just listen for event's the sysop has defined.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:57 pm
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next