View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Feedback Loop: v2.17 
Site Admin

Unread post Re: Feedback Loop: v2.17
Got'em. It was a crash, and is definitely evidence of a bug. I'll let you know when I know more.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:27 pm
Profile WWW
Boo! inc.

It was good that he mentioned it. Because it helped us find a small bug with the delay at game menu.

Boo! inc.

Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:28 pm
Site Admin

Ok, I found the bug. Well, I never saw a case where the player would drop to the startup menu after the game crashed, but I did find out why the player was getting booted from the game from StarDock. It was caused by Extern resetting some flags on the player record, which caused TW to update its player record, but when it loaded the port number for Stardock, it was being cast as a shortint (-128 to 127) and ended up being read as 0. It then believed that the player had somehow been removed from the port, which would be an error, and closed the game. I've removed the code that was casting the port number as shortint, so it's fixed.

I'm going to go ahead and release a new update with these two bug fixes.

Please keep an eye out for any cases where you end up at the startup menu when you should have dropped all of the way out of the game.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:27 pm
Profile WWW
Boo! inc.

Quick question...when you are in game, and do quit. Are you supposed to go to the game menu, or the main TWGS menu? It has always gone to the game menu, after your upgrade it doesn't.

Command [TL=00:00:00]:[6196] (?=Help)? : Q
<Quit>
Confirmed? (Y/N)? Yes

TradeWars Game Server Copyright (C) EIS
TWGS v2.18 www.eisonline.com

Server registered to Mob's TWGS
Supports up to 25 games and 100 nodes

<A> Subzero

<#> Players Online
<!> View game descriptions

<Q> Quit

Selection (? for menu):

Boo! inc.

Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:44 pm
Gameop

John Pritchett wrote:
Ok, I found the bug. Well, I never saw a case where the player would drop to the startup menu after the game crashed, but I did find out why the player was getting booted from the game from StarDock. It was caused by Extern resetting some flags on the player record, which caused TW to update its player record, but when it loaded the port number for Stardock, it was being cast as a shortint (-128 to 127) and ended up being read as 0. It then believed that the player had somehow been removed from the port, which would be an error, and closed the game. I've removed the code that was casting the port number as shortint, so it's fixed.

I'm going to go ahead and release a new update with these two bug fixes.

Please keep an eye out for any cases where you end up at the startup menu when you should have dropped all of the way out of the game.

John,

Any chance this bug would cause a similar issue in my aforementioned bug report? I'm curious if Crosby's bug which sounds outwardly similar is related to my just dropping from the server issue I was having. I know Toy's server was dropped multiple times is it plausible that whatever routine flag that check's for inactivity is also being affected?

ICQ#31380757, -=English 101 pwns me=-
"This one claims to have been playing since 1993 and didn't know upgrading a port would raise his alignment."

Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:56 pm
Profile ICQ
Site Admin

Ugh. That's just irritating. I disabled the restart for a test, then didn't get it reset before packaging it up. Way to go.

Thanks for catching that.

I'm going to bump the revision number and go ahead and keep this at TWGSv2.18, since I only see 4 people have installed it at this point. I'll email them that they should reinstall.

Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:57 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Kaus, the bug here was brand new with v2.17. I believe what you're talking about has been happening for awhile, right?

Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:58 pm
Profile WWW
Boo! inc.

Ugghh I was one...:P HOW ANNOYING...snicker...grin...

Measure twice cut once John...

Boo! inc.

Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:59 pm
Gameop

John Pritchett wrote:
Ugh. That's just irritating. I disabled the restart for a test, then didn't get it reset before packaging it up. Way to go.

Thanks for catching that.

I'm going to bump the revision number and go ahead and keep this at TWGSv2.18, since I only see 4 people have installed it at this point. I'll email them that they should reinstall.

So you're having the same kinda day that I am :mrgreen:

http://www.twsubspace.com <-- Expired
Teamspeak 3 50.23.212.53:4196 <-- Expired
Just a has been now.

Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:37 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

It's an all-around bad day...

Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:51 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2