View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Extern Bug 
Gameop

Unread post Extern Bug
Version 2.18B
Win7 64Bit
Client=Swath Alone
MBBS/ISP ON/20k/Aliens and Gold = TRUE
*Log appended to bottom

I am testing a older Bug that I promised I would test for you John. While testing I ran extern early with one player at stardock and another in space. The player at stardock needed to restock a photon, when i pressed the dock button it failed, upon redisplay I had been towed.

Code:
Command [TL=00:00:00]:[2618] (?=Help)? : D
<Re-Display>

Sector  : 2618 in The Federation.
Beacon  : FedSpace, FedLaw Enforced
Ports   : Stargate Alpha I, Class 9 (Special) (StarDock)
Warps to Sector(s) :  (385) - (2386) - (9669) - 12009 - (19005) - (19

Command [TL=00:00:00]:[2618] (?=Help)? : P

<A> Attack this Port
<S> Land on the StarDock
<T> Trade at this Port
<Q> Quit, nevermind

Enter your choice [T] ? S
Landing on Federation StarDock.

Command [TL=00:00:00]:[1498] (?=Help)? : I
<Info>

Trader Name    : Civilian lks
Rank and Exp   : 0 points, Alignment=0 Neutral
Ship Name      : lkds
Ship Info      : Sverdlov Missile Frigate Ported=1 Kills=0
Date Built     : 10:16:15 PM Tue Jan 31, 2040
Turns to Warp  : 3
Current Sector : 1498
Turns left     : Unlimited
Total Holds    : 60 - Empty=60
Fighters       : 5,000
Shield points  : 400
Photon Missiles: 1
Credits        : 998,548,379

Command [TL=00:00:00]:[1498] (?=Help)? : D
<Re-Display>

Sector  : 1498 in uncharted space (unexplored).
Ports   : New Wheatstone, Class 6 (BSS)
Warps to Sector(s) :  (16624) - (18853) - (18894)

Code:
-=-=-=-=-=-  Trade Wars 2002 ver 3.32b MBBS Gold  -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
10:23:20 PM 01/31/2012   : TW Maintenance program ran
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
lks was evicted out of FedSpace (too heavily armed)
Extern completed normally...
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

ICQ#31380757, -=English 101 pwns me=-
"This one claims to have been playing since 1993 and didn't know upgrading a port would raise his alignment."

Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:33 am
Profile ICQ
Site Admin

Unread post Re: Extern Bug
The bug here seems to be that a player who's online shouldn't be evicted. So somehow, your player seems to have been flagged as no longer online. The question is, how did that happen. Getting towed is a side-effect of losing your "online" status.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:06 am
Profile WWW
Gameop

John Pritchett wrote:
The bug here seems to be that a player who's online shouldn't be evicted. So somehow, your player seems to have been flagged as no longer online. The question is, how did that happen. Getting towed is a side-effect of losing your "online" status.

Precisely, the server was freshly installed with the intention's of checking if that photon bug was still working that we had talked about. During testing for that I never went offline. The only client I used was swath as TWX was unnecessary. I will attempt to repeat both of my posting in a fresh bang tonight or tomorrow as time allows.

"This one claims to have been playing since 1993 and didn't know upgrading a port would raise his alignment."

Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:22 am
Profile ICQ
Sergeant

Once again, when I get my new box and get a chance to test win 7 against win xp we will see if it is the server or the user. I'm thinking win 7 users have a problem.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:00 pm
Gameop

-=shadow=- wrote:
Once again, when I get my new box and get a chance to test win 7 against win xp we will see if it is the server or the user. I'm thinking win 7 users have a problem.

I'm not sure I follow, what your stating above would be a client issue related to WIN7 not a TWGS issue related to WIN7. The Client was Swath (Alone) and no scripts were involved in my report as it was unnecessary to run a script.

If there was a client issue it would reside with the client Author's, predominantly TWX and Swath to fix. While there are documented issues with TWX am I to assume your presumption is that Swath is also having WIN7(32/64) issues?

As far as TWGS server software is concerned it's my understanding from the other thread that the way TWGS handles sockets, and the packets sent from client is unchanged. So from a high level vantage point the choice of OS (XP/WIN7) in regards to the server itself shouldn't matter.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:55 pm
Profile ICQ
Site Admin

Really, the only issues I've had with Win7 is related to "enhanced" security. Overall, I'd say Win7 is well represented among servers running TWGS, and there really aren't a lot of reports of problems with it.

The things Kaus is reporting could easily be issues with TW internal architecture. Well, not the dropped connecting thing. I'm almost certain that's an issue that all sockets applications deal with. But i see no reason to assume it's OS-related.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:26 am
Profile WWW
Gameop

This must be pretty rare bug, I've been unable to duplicate it across 2 bang's and 10 or so extern's in the original edit.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:40 am
Profile ICQ
Site Admin

Well, thanks for trying. It bothers me that something like this can happen at all. I am going to restore shared resource locking semantics to the TW index file (I disabled that over 10 years ago to speed things up and it seemed stable enough). If we're seeing any instability with that flag, it could be caused by the player and Extern accessing that flag at exactly the same moment, something that would be extremely rare. At this point, I think the additional stability would be worthwhile and the performance hit negligible. It certainly can't hurt to start locking that index file again to guarantee that it's not being accessed by more than one session at a time. We may never know if this fixed the bug you saw, but I think it's worth doing. I ran some serious testing last night with it enabled and everything looked clean.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:27 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]