View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Editing and deleting posts in open discussion 
Lieutenant J.G.

Unread post Editing and deleting posts in open discussion
Certain Trade Wars players are notorious for posting inflammatory comments, then go in and change what they said after people responded, typically making it look like the responders had overreacted. They also would delete some posts to make it look like the responders are talking to themselves.

In light of this, I propose a period of 10 minutes in which a post can be edited or deleted. After 10 minutes, a post cannot be edited or deleted period.

A 10 minute edit period would be sufficient to correct errors while eliminating the problem of people "covering their tracks."

This would only apply to the open discussion forum. All other forums could remain as is so members can edit posts to update information such as the scripts forum, game rebangs, tournament, etc.

Thoughts?

Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:48 am
Site Admin

Unread post Re: Editing and deleting posts in open discussion
I wasn't sure if we had that kind of control, but I checked and it is a setting, both to limit editing time and delete time. So if there's a consensus to use this setting, let us know.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:29 pm
Profile WWW
Lieutenant J.G.

I knew it was a setting, depending on the software as it is used on other boards. It doesn't have to be 10 minutes. Any period of time that you feel is right, John.

But I've seen it over the years with posts edited and deleted several times that it got out of control a little bit.

Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:42 pm
Veteran Op

I understand as I have seen this on occassion, but I do like to fix my typo's and I never seem to notice them until I hit enter. I don't seem to notice it as much on this forum as I have on another I visit randomly. So to me I can live with either being changed or left alone but I prefer to be able to edit if I have a typo :lol:

Or maybe once someone posts after you it is locked.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:44 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Certain Trade Wars players are notorious for posting inflammatory comments, then go in and change what they said after people responded, typically making it look like the responders had overreacted.

Why not just quote when responding? Is this really
an ongoing problem?

Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:58 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Site Admin

I don't think we have the level of control to lock edits after you have been responded to, though that would be nice.

There is definitely a valid need for editing a post after it's up. If you care about what you're trying to say, it's a good idea to read it over after you post and make sure you made sense. And often you don't catch a confusing point until you've been away from it and come back and read it fresh. But it's also true that threads have continuity, and you shouldn't significantly change the content of a post once it's become part of a thread of posts. So there is a balancing point, for sure.

I would like more feedback on it.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:00 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

Crosby wrote:
Quote:
Certain Trade Wars players are notorious for posting inflammatory comments, then go in and change what they said after people responded, typically making it look like the responders had overreacted.

Why not just quote when responding? Is this really
an ongoing problem?

Cros not so much on this forum that I have noticed, then again I try to ignore some posters :)

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:05 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Boo! inc.

I agree with Timberwolf, I have seen this and it is annoying especially as an admin trying to monitor the mods / members. I would try to follow a covo then all of a sudden the conversation has been broken. I get a bit of a chuckle because it does make people look silly and the convo look invalid at times but then when I check the mod logs it does show that posts were moved / deleted / edited. I think a small time limit to correct mistakes, then the post is locked unless an admin changes something.

Boo! inc.

Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:28 pm
Commander

The best way to avoid that is to quote the original post.
Then the OP can alter it as much as he wants, but the people who replied to it will have it as it was originally written.
I edit my posts almost immediately after posting- thanks to idiot spelling or grammar issues.

I'd recommend people quote the post they respond to.
If someone reports a post, it is easier to see who was poking whom when it comes to fixing the problem.

Curing ignorance and terminal stupidity since 1999.

Questioning the intellectual abilities of three digit annual salary earners since 2015.

Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:37 pm
Profile WWW
Boo! inc.

Quoting is a good way to make your point valid, yes. But I think what has been seen is a few posts in the points start to build up and individuals will pull their original post. Time limits on posts are a good idea. Got my vote, if we cany edit oue posts in 10 minutres then our bad...<g>

Boo! inc.

Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:54 pm
Lieutenant J.G.

mob wrote:
Quoting is a good way to make your point valid, yes. But I think what has been seen is a few posts in the points start to build up and individuals will pull their original post. Time limits on posts are a good idea. Got my vote, if we cany edit oue posts in 10 minutres then our bad...<g>

Good one, Mob. LOL.

Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:43 pm
Ambassador

I vote yes. Locking editing is a good idea

Edit: This is over a year old. LOL I didnt notice until I had posted

I had to ask myself WWSGD?

Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:09 am
Profile WWW
Lieutenant J.G.

This subject should be looked into again, given recent events of frequent post deleting and editing.

Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:17 am
Veteran Op

Timberwolf wrote:
This subject should be looked into again, given recent events of frequent post deleting and editing.

No posts that I know of were deleted in the OD area with exception to players removing their own. The area being discussed is the Tournament area which we have different set of rules for each section of the forum. I don't always have the time to cleanup and babysit 24/7 so deleting them is a better option as it removes what I feel is just going to start a flame war. But if the expectation is that I monitor 24/7 then people are sadly mistaken.

Here is a suggestion though, if there is something that is offensive send me a PM as I get email notifications directly to my phone and you will get a faster response unless it is midnight to 6am. Otherwise I will get to it when I get time since I have never seen anything posted that is a matter of life or limb. Embarrassing yea maybe a little but we are all adults for the most part and should have a little thicker skin than getting caught up in the he said she said scenario.

Tournament Area Rules:
1. Each thread must begin with the Tournament Name, date expected to open, host server information, and rules if this information is available.
2. After the tournament officially opens, we will then open the thread to general discussion of the tournament.
3. There will be one thread here per tournament.
4. Members not in the game are allowed to comment on the game, however if this results in arguments that get personal the member NOT playing will be banned from the thread. This can be a temporary or permanent ban.
5. Posts viewed by the admin/moderators of this site as being out of line with the intent of this thread, can be moved or deleted at the moderators discretion.
6. Continued violations of the rules of this thread can result in the temporary or in extreme cases a permanent ban from this thread.

Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:30 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]