View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:35 am

Forum rules

This is not an area to debate the pros and cons of proposed features. It is an area for people to suggest new features for either TW or TWGS. I will either add the proposed feature to my planned features list, or explain my reasons for passing on the feature at this time. Features added to the list can be voted on so I can gauge people's interest.

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Botlink Addition 
Commander

Unread post Botlink Addition
Correct me if I'm wrong from what I've read about botlink it's giving sysops and players the abilities to make virtual universes and connect them so to speak? I was pondering at least that tought. Would it be possible to make those virtual universes but throw in a speed bump perhaps a alien race that controls a certain portion or even a 10k sector where a edit could be made so that players would have to work together to get get rid of them? Kind of capture the flag game except your going up against a very agressive alien race that has the ability to photon/pdrop/trade/rob and build just as we do but say on a 20k turn base or something in that nature. I would associate the building rate as compared to starcraft when you go against the computers they build just as fast as you do minus cheats for mineral(cash) another thought that also ran across my mind would be to have those aliens to have the capabilities to enter our realm and find our planets just like we would do to them. Perhaps this is a little far fetched and maybe too many lines to write. I dunno just a thought! Feedback?

Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:51 am
Commander

Unread post Re: Botlink Addition
That all sounds really interesting , now if we can only find someone who can write such a script to put it into a test.

Its beyond me for that , maybe I could help with some parts of it , but as a whole .. its a heck of a project.

Good luck with that , I would like to see a multi universe myself ;)

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Ka Pla

Winners of Gridwars 2010
MBN Fall Tournament 2011 winners Team Kraaken
Undisputed Champions of 2019 HHT Just for showing up!

The Oldist , Longist Running , Orginal Registered Owner of a TWGS server :
Vids World On Guam

Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:29 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

There are a few things missing from Botlink that will be needed to make this possible, but those things are planned, and I expect it to be possible to do this kind of thing.

Think of Botlink as giving you access to "play" an entire alien race rather than a single player. You will be able to receive events for each alien of a Gold race, and control the actions of those aliens. So all of the tactics that are employed through scripts by players can be put to use in creating bot-driven alien AI. I realized that players have been writing AI for their own activities for years now, so why not give people the ability to put that to use where bots belong, driving the activities of computer-controlled non-players?

I can envision a full featured alien AI controller that not only provides these kinds of player-like tactics, but also provides the gameop with an interface to manage the activities of the alien race at a high level. Maybe on a day to day basis, the gameop could direct the goals of the alien race, telling it to engage in trading, or to invade a powerful corporation, or to explore. I don't think the goal of the gameop would be to "crush the players". At least, any site that hopes to retain players, the goal would be to give players a challenge, not to "win at all costs". So even though such a tool could easily be overwhelmingly powerful, I believe some gameops will be able to use a tool like this to create unique gaming experiences for their players, like a dungeon master in D&D, challenging his/her players but allowing them to prosper as well.

And yes, I do think it will be possible to start bridging multiple games seamlessly together so that we can break down the 30K sector universe barrier. Imagine a server running 25 linked games for a total of 750K sectors, with each "cluster" of 30K sectors having its own unique environment. Maybe humans dominate in one "cluster", Antarians in another, etc. Each "cluster" could be its own alien dominion. The possibility will be there, if any gameop or group wants to create it.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:23 pm
Profile WWW
Gameop

John Pritchett wrote:
There are a few things missing from Botlink that will be needed to make this possible, but those things are planned, and I expect it to be possible to do this kind of thing.

Think of Botlink as giving you access to "play" an entire alien race rather than a single player. You will be able to receive events for each alien of a Gold race, and control the actions of those aliens. So all of the tactics that are employed through scripts by players can be put to use in creating bot-driven alien AI. I realized that players have been writing AI for their own activities for years now, so why not give people the ability to put that to use where bots belong, driving the activities of computer-controlled non-players?

I can envision a full featured alien AI controller that not only provides these kinds of player-like tactics, but also provides the gameop with an interface to manage the activities of the alien race at a high level. Maybe on a day to day basis, the gameop could direct the goals of the alien race, telling it to engage in trading, or to invade a powerful corporation, or to explore. I don't think the goal of the gameop would be to "crush the players". At least, any site that hopes to retain players, the goal would be to give players a challenge, not to "win at all costs". So even though such a tool could easily be overwhelmingly powerful, I believe some gameops will be able to use a tool like this to create unique gaming experiences for their players, like a dungeon master in D&D, challenging his/her players but allowing them to prosper as well.

And yes, I do think it will be possible to start bridging multiple games seamlessly together so that we can break down the 30K sector universe barrier. Imagine a server running 25 linked games for a total of 750K sectors, with each "cluster" of 30K sectors having its own unique environment. Maybe humans dominate in one "cluster", Antarians in another, etc. Each "cluster" could be its own alien dominion. The possibility will be there, if any gameop or group wants to create it.

Build it and they will come...

Id love to run something like that on my server... I volunteer!

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/darkstarbase

Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:07 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Commander

DarkStarBase , if you want to run something like that on your server
may I suggest you get on the ground floor while its still early on ..
telnet://twgs.classictw.com:2003
game C - admin p/w sandbox
and try out the bot link <L> for game C

there is plenty of commands to play with and maybe you can recommend some more.
It is helpful to know a program language , maybe twx scripting to help.

I left an example of a script for the bot link on this forum /scripts & helpers
the example is for a sweeper script , and EP left one on this forum for
showing the current command list in Bot Link.

I hope this helps & I would love to see your creations if you care to share.

Vid

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Ka Pla

Winners of Gridwars 2010
MBN Fall Tournament 2011 winners Team Kraaken
Undisputed Champions of 2019 HHT Just for showing up!

The Oldist , Longist Running , Orginal Registered Owner of a TWGS server :
Vids World On Guam

Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:11 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]